Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aeronaut 30 vs. 45 - weight difference

hi! i have a question for those hwo have bothe the a30 and the a45... the weight on the website of these 2 bags are very similar... does the a45 really carry ~30% more in weight when packed? i was leaning towards the a45 intially fkr a ltitle more flexibility in packing for longer trips (i used to pack for myself and my toddler for week long trips in a mlc 45l) but hate checking my bag and wonder if the a30 is better so i dont ever get asked to check it and take it on european flights without worrying about size issue...

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The A45 only weighs 30% more than the A30 if you pack 30% more in it. If you put the exact same items in both, then they A45 will only weigh a couple of ounces more.

Basically the weight of the A45 itself isn't that much different than the A30 because it's only a few inches bigger in all directions, which is only a couple inches more lightweight fabric. It still has the same zippers and backpack straps and handles, and they all weigh the same.

I just traded my A30 for an A45. I have no intention of stuffing the A45 full, and my A30 was barely full. I just found that the A45 carried better on my back, and I liked the wider flatter acreage on the bottom for packing my clothing. My stuff just fit better in the bigger bag and I use the tiedown straps to keep stuff from shifting. I like packing wider and flatter. I'm not really into rolling my clothing. If you under pack the A45 it will fit in a smaller airline sizer with no problem.

Both bags are great. If you can order one of each and test pack them, and then send back the one you don't like, that's a good option. Obviously, that's not always an option for many people. I basically read and read and read these forums, picked the A30, didn't quite like it. Swapped it for an A45, and like it. So even with research, I picked wrong.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 09-18-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the weight difference is really small between sizes. I regret getting the A45 in ballistic. When compared to my A30 in halcyon, the A45 feels quite a lot heavier. If you get either one in halcyon fabric, I think you'll be happy with the weight. The A45 does fit a lot more. But do you need all that space? Are you still packing for two or does your child have their own bag now?

A30
    19.7 x 12.6 x 7.9 inches
    halcyon 2 lbs 6 oz
    ballistic 2 lb 14 oz

A45
    22 x 14 x 9 inches
    halcyon 2 lb 7 oz
    ballistic 3 lb 1 oz

Forum Member
    Northwest Washington State
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The A45 carries 50% more volume than the A30. So if you pack the A45 to the same capacity (and the same density) as you'd pack an A30, it'd be 50% heavier.

In practice, though, it will depend on what you put in that extra 15 liters. If you're stuffing in a down jacket, it might not add much extra weight at all. It all depends on how you pack.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i anticipate i will be packing for the both of us for a couple more years. when i solo travel i usually can only manage 1 bag on my back and need to keep my hands free for a very independent toddler plus a small carryon/diaperbag.. that said, im willing to pack super light to continue my one bag travels and definitely was overpacking when my child was younger.. im wondering if its the added height of the a45 that makes it feel so huge on me (it doesnt seem to lay on my back flat)... i think im leaning towards the a30 to ensure i dont overpack and it seems like from reading the forums a30 tends to sit better as a backpack on shorter individuals? it just seemed amazing at first that a bag that almost weighed the same as the 30l really was holding that much more in the 45l version! thanks everyone!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, your height will definitely make a difference. I'm 5'5" tall slender woman, and the A30 didn't hit me in the right places. It kept wanting to drag down my back. The A45, even though it's much bigger, feels lighter to me because it hits me in the right places on my back.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Yes, your height will definitely make a difference. I'm 5'5" tall slender woman, and the A30 didn't hit me in the right places. It kept wanting to drag down my back. The A45, even though it's much bigger, feels lighter to me because it hits me in the right places on my back.
    Do you know how long your back is? I am 5'7" with shortish legs but only a 16" back, so a Small in Osprey packs, for example. I must have a very tall neck or head to have a short back and short legs, yet to be taller than average! :-0

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 5'5" tall, but short waisted with long legs. So I'm not sure how long my back is, but I'm all legs. That's why I originally went with the A30, because I thought it would fit me better. Turns out the A45 fit me better. It hits in the small of my back at the right place, and I don't have to keep hiking it up at the shoulders. Until I did a test pack of both to compare, I really didn't realize the difference.