Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Synapse 25 and MBP protection question...

Hi Everyone,
    I'm a long time fan and owner of several TB bags over the years and just picked up Synapse 25 with a MPB cache. The bag and materials are typical for TB...simply outstanding however I'm having second thoughts about using this combination (Syn 25 w/cache) for my everyday back with my Macbook Pro, an occational textbook, odds and ends. Why? Even with the cache there is no other support for the MBP while its in the bag and I'm thinking when the bag is placed on the floor, desk, etc., that added weight simply presses against the MBP. In addition the laptop impacts the floor direclty even when inside the bag as there is nothing that supports the MBP so it doesn't come in direct contact with the bottom of the bag when set down.

There is a question coming...

Those of you who use this combination have you had any issues with damaging your MBP or other laptop?

Thank you,

Steve
    Last edited by ssmith335; 10-02-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmith335 View Post
    Those of you who use this combination have you had any issues with damaging your MBP or other laptop?
    I have a pilot, an S25, and a WF all of which have carried my MBP in a cache for over a year globally with never a problem. I should mention that for 15 years prior to this I traveled without any laptop cache or padding of any kind; just threw my laptop (and more recently tablets) in whatever bag with books or whatever else I was carrying and I've never had a failure, breakage or a problem, nor have I ever forgotten my laptop anywhere (at a TSA checkpoint for example).

That said, I did forget my iPad once at a TSA checkpoint but discovered after a check 5 min later (easily recovered), and 3 years ago I left it on a delta flight in Paris which I discovered 15 min later (I do inventories all of the time). That was much more troublesome - I chased around the airport for 2 hours trying to get back to the airplane but it turns out you can't do that no matter which secret doors you go through (and I went through a LOT of them with the airport staff).

Luckily they made a note and 2 weeks later I came back by and they had it waiting for me - Thanks CDG staff! However in both of those instances I don't think rails would've helped because the first time was a full on search and the second I left it in one of the seat pockets.

Anyway, when I bought my Bihn bags last year I decided it was time for a cache for my laptops and tablets - I feel a little more responsible, but I don't think I'm any safer than if I just tossed them in naked. I also don't do phone cases and I only roll with black or nordic halcyon, no protective ballistic nylon for me.

I'm a rebel. I live by my own rules.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 10-02-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Freudian Slip in mine that has a few staggered pockets on one side and the upper pockets do not go all the way to the bottom of the slip.
    So I can stick my Mac in the top pocket and it will not touch the bag bottom at all!
    My Slip is an older one that I already had and I think it is made for the Brain Bag so YMMV too?

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith335 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm a long time fan and owner of several TB bags over the years and just picked up Synapse 25 with a MPB cache. The bag and materials are typical for TB...simply outstanding however I'm having second thoughts about using this combination (Syn 25 w/cache) for my everyday back with my Macbook Pro, an occational textbook, odds and ends. Why? Even with the cache there is no other support for the MBP while its in the bag and I'm thinking when the bag is placed on the floor, desk, etc., that added weight simply presses against the MBP. In addition the laptop impacts the floor direclty even when inside the bag as there is nothing that supports the MBP so it doesn't come in direct contact with the bottom of the bag when set down.

There is a question coming...

Thank you,

Steve

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've travelled all over the world with my S25 and MBP cache with no issues at all to the MacBook Pro.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have similar concerns as well when putting my S25 down with my MBP13 in the cache. I do feel it thump a little on the ground, so I'm being a little more gentle with it. But I'll continue testing and see how it goes, hopefully not at the expense of adding dents to my MBP, haha.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a S25 with a 13 MBP in a cache and never had an issue. I always tried to keep something in the bottom of the main storage compartment just in case.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve never had a problem with a cache inside an S25. However, you could try and get a second hand vertical brain cell which protects it even further inside the bag. Although I donít think you can hang it from the bag, itís even more protective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)