Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q-kit clip stuck to Side Kick zipper. What do I do?

Fellow Bihnions,

I discovered to my horror this morning that when I clipped my mini Q-kit into my Side Kick last night in the dark, the clip caught on the zipper and I cannot get it off for fear of breaking the clip or the zipper. The clip is around both the o-ring and the zipper coils and it is fully closed around it. There isn't enough room for me to engage the clip to remove it because of how the clip is closed completely around the zipper coils (edited to fix that sentence).

Here are some photos. Suggestions appreciated!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news update! After several attempts I gave up and went about my morning. Then just now I pulled the o-ring away from the zipper and twisted the zipper back on itself and somehow it came free. Hooray!! I really thought I would have to snap the clip off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully someone brighter than me can come up with a solution. I wish I could try it, I am pretty good at things like that if I actually have them to work with in person.

My mom was legendary for it and saved my brothers neck when he was a kid when he got into dad's fishing line and tangled up the entire spool. It was a tight budget time, so she became desparate. My dad was very gentle and loving, and she didn't want the stress on either of them.

Also had a neighbor whose toddler got her neck stuck in a staircase railing. Her theory was to remain calm and if it got stuck that way, there must be a way out. In that way you are fortunate because the plastic can't scream and yell and swell up in the meantime. Yes, she got her out without having to call the fire dept.

If there does have to be a sacrifice here, and you are unable to carefully unstitch it ane stitch it back (don't do that unless you know someone with that experience,it can be a delicate process), then another less invasive next step I would take would be to break the ring and replace that with a small strong metal one like one uses on a keyring, or better and smaller yet, one of these:

S-Biner - Stainless Steel

They make tiny ones that you can buy a bunch of on a keyring and I have found them cheaper that way. In the past I have spotted them at REI and Home Depot.

They also make them in plastic, but I find them more reliable in the steel. Once you start using these little babies, you will find all sorts of handy uses for them.

Hoping someone comes up with an "undo" fix or alternatively so you don't have to even bother breaking anything.

Don't feel bad. The reason I acquired the untangling ability was because I do stuff like this more often than I would like to admit.

The other specialty I learned from mom was untangling fine chain necklaces. Just did two the other day. That one I can describe if anyone is curious.

Good wishes for the easiest solution possible!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay!! You posted while I was writing that. Congratulations!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seesul View Post
    Yay!! You posted while I was writing that. Congratulations!
    Thanks so much for such a thoughtful and helpful reply. You're right about remaining calm. I love the suggestion of a small S-Biner! What a great idea. If I ever have a clip break (by accident or sadly to get something unstuck) I will use that idea.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Thanks so much for such a thoughtful and helpful reply. You're right about remaining calm. I love the suggestion of a small S-Biner! What a great idea. If I ever have a clip break (by accident or sadly to get something unstuck) I will use that idea.
    Once I found those little babies, I actually stocked up on them. I find uses for them all of the time! I am a "if my head weren't attached, I'd lose it kind of person, so that is why I have been "hooked" on TB products ever since my first bag, way, way back.

I probably set the record for pouches and leashes purchased. It all started with losing $700+ worth of specialty glasses at the start of a trip making a connection.

Same mother that I talked about spoiled me forever on sewing, fabric and construction quality, and I like to think she is there smiling down on the great people at TB, because they really are the only company I have found that matches per perfection, standards and skill.

She learned to sew on a Singer treadle at 7. She grew up on a small family farm in a place where people made a living and got shelter by actually living with a family for a while and taking the burden of sewing and mending off of the farmer's wife, who was busy raising kids and feeding the farm hands.

Her first projects were doll clothes, made from scraps. Nothing was wasted, and that is what you see in TB as well.

She grew up to be one of the first stewardesses, back when you had to be an RN and fly sleepers puddle jumping across the country.

That is also why I appreciated what I found in TB, knowing what it was like to travel in the days where bags themselves had no wheels and were as heavy as heck.

Now with the security factor, the products are even more important, as is the organization, flexibility and security they provide.

I can't tell you how much I spent on luggage and it falling apart before I discovered TB. I Still have and use all of my original pieces and take care of them as recommended, so they look new.

The only sign they have of wear is the back of one synapse I left exposed. My kitty thinks that it is the ideal material to massage her claws. Luckily it isn't too bad because I was trained in how to clip the tips. I guess she thinks what I buy is for her, as they decorated a box for her that is now her cat bed.

I now make sure I don't leave the back of my synapses looking like a luxury scratch pad, which, come to think of it, will make a great use for those remnants!

I don't think I have had one trip where someone has not asked about a product. More than not, security people actually thank me if my bag gets picked fir random screening. An agent at Heathrow commented that he wished everyone would pack like that, it would make his job easier and the line faster.

Because of TB I have been able to continue and actually enjoy traveling. I have back neck and shoulder problems that was just diagnosed as severe arthritis. I was also low vision with cataracts until they were removed. I was young when they developed and had adapted so well, testing was thrown off and more than a few doctors refused.

I love to travel and I especially love to walk as much as I can when I do. TB has not only made that possible, but I can do so without pain on my back and shoulders, yet carry quite a load. The aeronauts work best for me for that. They actually support and make my back feel better when chasing flights through airports. I have always seemed to draw the gates that are the farthest apart!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seesul View Post
    Once I found those little babies, I actually stocked up on them. I find uses for them all of the time! I am a "if my head weren't attached, I'd lose it kind of person, so that is why I have been "hooked" on TB products ever since my first bag, way, way back.

I probably set the record for pouches and leashes purchased. It all started with losing $700+ worth of specialty glasses at the start of a trip making a connection.

Same mother that I talked about spoiled me forever on sewing, fabric and construction quality, and I like to think she is there smiling down on the great people at TB, because they really are the only company I have found that matches per perfection, standards and skill.

She learned to sew on a Singer treadle at 7. She grew up on a small family farm in a place where people made a living and got shelter by actually living with a family for a while and taking the burden of sewing and mending off of the farmer's wife, who was busy raising kids and feeding the farm hands.

Her first projects were doll clothes, made from scraps. Nothing was wasted, and that is what you see in TB as well.

She grew up to be one of the first stewardesses, back when you had to be an RN and fly sleepers puddle jumping across the country.
    I too have learned the hard way to tether my stuff. Smirk

Your mother sounds very industrious and adventurous! I bet she had some great stories to tell about flying in those days.

What a lucky cat to have such a nice bed. :-)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like the O-rings in TB bags, but sometimes TB just doesn't have the sort of bag I need (like a zip top tote-bag, cough cough) or a WF with different front pockets.

Anyway, I bought a couple of Briggs & Riley Transcend bags (shop bag and clamshell cabin bag) and I bought some white O-rings and some twill tape from JoAnns, and I'm going to sew in some O-rings this weekend. This will allow me to use my TB keystraps and pouches in the B&R bags. The pouches all fit great, but I miss tethering them so I don't lose them when I take them out. Since the interior of the bags are white, the white O-rings will be perfect.

Has anyone else Tom Bihned a bag?

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to, I just can't quite figure out how to go about sewing the rings in well enough that I'd trust them.
    I have large (Lily Jade) tote bag style bag that was originally a diaper bag but we've sort of out grown using it as that now. I loved it as a diaper bag, but it's not super perfect as a "big kid and mama" bag. I'd love to Bihn it into something more usable for when taking a backpack isn't appropriate (or when my kid needs his own bag).

Any chance you could take some pictures before, during, after your sewing in the rings?
    I think I'm reasonably good at sewing, but I have a heck of a time trying to figure out how to sew O rings in without ruining the lining of the bag.
    Perhaps though...such a thing should be it's own post/thread.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kelly, I see if I can put the before during and afters in a new thread with some photos.

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Tom Bihn-d a bag too. I cannot bear to not tether items, ever since the time I thought I had dropped my keys into a porto-potty at a festival 2 hours from home. That left a permanent mental scar.

I got some black o-rings on etsy, and I sewed them into the seam of several pockets of a backpack I had. I used clear thread (looks like fishing line but finer), so unless you are looking for them, they aren't obvious. I likely could take out that stitching if needed, but I likely won't as it was an inexpensive backpack.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I have Tom Bihn-d a bag too. I cannot bear to not tether items, ever since the time I thought I had dropped my keys into a porto-potty at a festival 2 hours from home. That left a permanent mental scar.

I got some black o-rings on etsy, and I sewed them into the seam of several pockets of a backpack I had. I used clear thread (looks like fishing line but finer), so unless you are looking for them, they aren't obvious. I likely could take out that stitching if needed, but I likely won't as it was an inexpensive backpack.
    Oh my on the drop, at first I thought I could one up (it could be worse, style--my sanity is based on that) because I know someone who dropped a brand new iPhone into a toilet a work, but then I realized it was what we used to call a "KC rent a can" and you win the sympathy vote hands down.

If you use what is called monofilament (aka fishing line) a lot for sewing and repairs, look out for the different weights. Some are exactly the same as the little thread spools. I've been using the same reel for 45 years and still have enough to include in my will.

You will find many uses for it when you have that much.