Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WF or TS for business trip with shoes!

Hi all

So just back from a 3 night trip where I used my a30. This was great, the right size, but the problem was taking out laptop at security. This meant unpacking bag a bit which got annoying.

So Iím looking at the TS or WF. The thing I really want is space for shoes as taking a spare pair is crucial I think on longer trips. Iím a UK 11 which I think is US 12 or so. I can fit shoes just in a30 end packing cubes.

Iíve read a lot about the fact WF is better for shoes as it is deeper. But I think judging by my recent experience 30L is about right size after all cables, washing kit, clothes, laptop, shoes, etc go in. Iím a 6 foot 2 male so clothes can take up a bit of space

So my main question - is the TS really bad for shoes of my size, or do people think I can get them into the smaller of the front pockets?

Second question. What material? Halcolyn as it stretches a bit more. Durable enough for heavier weight?

TIA

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another idea, if you like the A30: Keep it, and pack the laptop in something lightweight like the Daylight Briefcase. Once you are done with security, you could always slip the bag back into the A30 for easier carrying. Or if you keep it separate, it makes a good flight bag, since it can accommodate snacks, headphones and other things you want at your seat, as well as being a good meeting bag.

(Sorry I can't answer the original question, because I don't have a Tri-Star, but I'm sure someone who does will chime in.)
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how you pack ... I find the Aeronauts to be the lesser business travel bags and the WF in black halcyon is my go-to. I can fit 2-3 suits and fixings in the WF including a pair of shoes in the front leaving room for a full size BT speaker and full size dopp kit plus some odds and ends. At that pack it'll stretch the WF so halcyon is a must. The laptop fits in either the back in a cache (just open and pull it out then shove back in) or in the backstrap pocket. I also always carry a second bag that serves as my work bag at my destination: either the Pilot or the S25 with the pilot folded into the bottom

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry my US 13s in the TS divided front pocket with no real issue and mine are mostly bigger outdoors style shoes and not dress shoes.
    The computer in the middle is a no brainer surrounded by paperwork or magazines and a little foam on the bottom of the pocket is all I need if not bringing a sleeve although I usually do anyway!

The TS is my favorite Bihn probably but they all really grow on me too.

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robw View Post
    So I’m looking at the TS or WF. The thing I really want is space for shoes as taking a spare pair is crucial I think on longer trips. I’m a UK 11 which I think is US 12 or so. I can fit shoes just in a30 end packing cubes.

I’ve read a lot about the fact WF is better for shoes as it is deeper. But I think judging by my recent experience 30L is about right size after all cables, washing kit, clothes, laptop, shoes, etc go in. I’m a 6 foot 2 male so clothes can take up a bit of space

So my main question - is the TS really bad for shoes of my size, or do people think I can get them into the smaller of the front pockets?
    I can easily get my size 11s (casual/dress shoes) into the front pocket of my (Ballistic) Tri-star. They take a little bit of compressing to squeeze into the smaller half of that pocket, but that may be attributable to the fact that I often overpack the middle/back pocket and don't want to crunch my shoes too much. They definitely fit in the bigger half, with room to spare.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you say that you'd only pack a spare pair of shoes on a longer trip, I doubt you'd one-bag it.

Put the laptop and cables, etc. in a Daylight briefcase, Cadet or Pilot.

I've put ladies shoes in a WF, and I was not happy with how they packed. I think shoes pack better in an A45 or Medium Road Duffle (my favorite). I find the A30 to be too tight, so getting things in and out was awkward. I'm one of the few people here who traded up in size, even though I don't plan on packing more. An underpacked A45 works better for me than a just right A30 or WF. The flat acreage and bigger zipper openings are just more convenient.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 10-17-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Halcyon WF and a Ballistic TS. I regularly carry U.K. size 9 shoes in them with no issue.

Although they do fit into the WF easier, I also find they take up more overall space in the bag. They are much tighter packed in the TS but therefore use less space overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. Looks like the TS will be the right bag for me. I think I prefer the ballistic too as it wonít collapse as much and hopefully the extra space over the WF will mean I donít really need to overpack it and use Halcyon.

Now all I need is a trip to the states to pick one up!