Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Forum Member Lodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure where my original post went.
    I'm replying to the thread and adding back what I wrote.

    Hi,
    I've just started using a Western Flyer a few days ago. The quality is excellent and exactly what I wanted from my first Tom Bihn bag. I'm still exploring how to use it to it's fullest potential. One thing that bothered me was that the handle stuck out in backpack mode. I used a small mod to keep it from sticking out. You can see this from the before and after pictures below:

    Hiding the WF handle in backpack mode-webp-net-resizeimage-1-jpgHiding the WF handle in backpack mode-webp-net-resizeimage-2-jpg

    It's not too hard to do, but I've been lurking on these forums awhile and haven't seen something similar so I thought I'd share. You just have to pull the zippers of the back compartment alongside the handle, then intertwine the cord pulls around the handle to keep it down. These pictures might show it better.

    Hiding the WF handle in backpack mode-webp-net-resizeimage-3-jpgHiding the WF handle in backpack mode-webp-net-resizeimage-4-jpgHiding the WF handle in backpack mode-webp-net-resizeimage-5-jpg

    Currently I'm using it as my daily briefcase for the office, and in the future I'm planning to use it as my one bag for conference travel.
    If there are any other hacks/mods for the WF, I'd be very interested.
    Do let me know what you think!
    Western Flyer Black Ballistic/Island Halcyon

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodd View Post
    I'm not sure where my original post went.
    I'm replying to the thread and adding back what I wrote.

    Hi,
    I've just started using a Western Flyer a few days ago. The quality is excellent and exactly what I wanted from my first Tom Bihn bag. I'm still exploring how to use it to it's fullest potential. One thing that bothered me was that the handle stuck out in backpack mode. I used a small mod to keep it from sticking out. You can see this from the before and after pictures below:

    Hiding the WF handle in backpack mode-webp-net-resizeimage-1-jpgHiding the WF handle in backpack mode-webp-net-resizeimage-2-jpg

    It's not too hard to do, but I've been lurking on these forums awhile and haven't seen something similar so I thought I'd share. You just have to pull the zippers of the back compartment alongside the handle, then intertwine the cord pulls around the handle to keep it down. These pictures might show it better.

    Hiding the WF handle in backpack mode-webp-net-resizeimage-3-jpgHiding the WF handle in backpack mode-webp-net-resizeimage-4-jpgHiding the WF handle in backpack mode-webp-net-resizeimage-5-jpg

    Currently I'm using it as my daily briefcase for the office, and in the future I'm planning to use it as my one bag for conference travel.
    If there are any other hacks/mods for the WF, I'd be very interested.
    Do let me know what you think!
    Looks great! How do you like the WF as a backpack/EDC carry. Overkill or just write.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Share
    Lost in the Midwest
    Posts
    370
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GREAT hack, thanks so much!

  4. #4
    Forum Member Lodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edward.dennihy View Post
    Looks great! How do you like the WF as a backpack/EDC carry. Overkill or just write.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    It's just right for me. Looks professional enough for me, though admittedly I'm in an academic setting (postgrad). Large enough to carry some groceries home if i stop at a shop along the way.

    If i travel i use around 20L for a 3 or 4 day trip (conference), so the extra few litres makes sure it stays slim and allows space for overflow.

    In backpack mode it fits just nicely on my back. I'm 5' 8", 62kg (135lb) for reference. I contemplated getting the tristar. Now I'm glad i got the WF. The tristar would've been too big /floppy for me.

    Sent from my Lenovo P2 using Tapatalk
    Western Flyer Black Ballistic/Island Halcyon

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodd View Post
    It's just right for me. Looks professional enough for me, though admittedly I'm in an academic setting (postgrad). Large enough to carry some groceries home if i stop at a shop along the way.

    If i travel i use around 20L for a 3 or 4 day trip (conference), so the extra few litres makes sure it stays slim and allows space for overflow.

    In backpack mode it fits just nicely on my back. I'm 5' 8", 62kg (135lb) for reference. I contemplated getting the tristar. Now I'm glad i got the WF. The tristar would've been too big /floppy for me.

    Sent from my Lenovo P2 using Tapatalk
    Looks great, I wish they made a western flyer the same size or the pilot. Looks like really versatile bag. Right now I just use my s19 but I am thinking about a bag for any bigger trips. Will certainly have to give the WF a look

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Forum Member Lodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anna2222 View Post
    GREAT hack, thanks so much!
    You're welcome! Hope there are more hacks around. I'm looking for one to turn the backpack straps into a trolley strap.

    Quote Originally Posted by edward.dennihy View Post
    Looks great, I wish they made a western flyer the same size or the pilot. Looks like really versatile bag. Right now I just use my s19 but I am thinking about a bag for any bigger trips. Will certainly have to give the WF a look

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    It could definitely be useful if you're targeting a business environment on the other end. This way, I predict that I can just land and go to the hotel, pull out my packing cubes, then have a briefcase for use. My worst case scenario is landing on an early flight and going straight to the conference and changing it into briefcase mode with my absolute strap. I could then check in later when my hotel room is ready. Either way, I can truly onebag and don't even need to bring a packable daypack.
    Western Flyer Black Ballistic/Island Halcyon

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    42
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d be interested in seeing your packing list and pictures of both briefcase mode as well as travel mode for 3 or 4 Days.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodd View Post
    You're welcome! Hope there are more hacks around. I'm looking for one to turn the backpack straps into a trolley strap.



    It could definitely be useful if you're targeting a business environment on the other end. This way, I predict that I can just land and go to the hotel, pull out my packing cubes, then have a briefcase for use. My worst case scenario is landing on an early flight and going straight to the conference and changing it into briefcase mode with my absolute strap. I could then check in later when my hotel room is ready. Either way, I can truly onebag and don't even need to bring a packable daypack.
    For my professional obligations I am fine with my s19. However if I need to carry any thing more than will fit in that I would like an option that is not just an s25. While it's a good bag, I think it is a bit of a waste to have both. Too much overlap. The western flyer is really appealing since it can be both a backpack and a side bag, while holding more then my s19.

    I don't know if I am ready to make the swap, I love that the s19 doubles as my EDC, but if I was taking a longer trip or a trip to a colder environment I can really see a use for the WF. The multifunctionality would seem to make it worth it.

    A WF the size of a pilot, or a pilot that could convert to a back pack would be perfect for me and could even replace my s19.

    I may have to leave the tom bihn ecosystem for that one.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Forum Member Lodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Share
    UK
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steeps View Post
    I’d be interested in seeing your packing list and pictures of both briefcase mode as well as travel mode for 3 or 4 Days.
    In briefcase/EDC mode it's a lot more boring. I've only got a laptop and a couple of grocery bags in there, a water bottle, etc. The WF is extremely large for what I need as an EDC. However, I don't mind. It compresses enough to look slim and stays comfy as a briefcase/messenger when I use the absolute strap.

    For travel mode, I haven't actually got any plans for the near future, but what I can do is a test pack based on what I brought when going to paris last year and greece early this year. It won't be perfect though coz I may well not remember exactly what I brought. I'll do the test pack this weekend and see if I can get any good pics from it. If I do, I'll definitely share.

    Quote Originally Posted by edward.dennihy View Post
    For my professional obligations I am fine with my s19. However if I need to carry any thing more than will fit in that I would like an option that is not just an s25. While it's a good bag, I think it is a bit of a waste to have both. Too much overlap. The western flyer is really appealing since it can be both a backpack and a side bag, while holding more then my s19.

    I don't know if I am ready to make the swap, I love that the s19 doubles as my EDC, but if I was taking a longer trip or a trip to a colder environment I can really see a use for the WF. The multifunctionality would seem to make it worth it.

    A WF the size of a pilot, or a pilot that could convert to a back pack would be perfect for me and could even replace my s19.

    I may have to leave the tom bihn ecosystem for that one.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    I agree that having both the S19 and S25 would be a waste and overlap their functionality too much. There are actually quite a few of these briefcase/backpack designs you mention around the 15L range. My problem was that they were too small for me, thus going for the WF or Tristar.

    I'd probably argue that at pilot sizes (13L I believe?), perhaps the backpack option isn't necessary, as the weight is light enough to be carried by an absolute strap. I tried to stuff the WF with random things and could only get the weight up to 8kg. The pilot at max capcaity would probably only carry 4 or 5kg?

    But if you do want to look around, there are a bunch of generic ones on amazon at around the $50 mark. I wouldn't expect much in terms of reliability though. A slightly more branded option is the Uniqlo 3-way bag for $40. I had my eye on the uniqlo for a while but that could only fit 20L and the backpack straps seemed a lot thinner (when I checked it out at the store) than the comfy ones on my WF.

    The WF is a great option if you don't mind the extra space. Good luck either way.
    Western Flyer Black Ballistic/Island Halcyon

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Share
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always love a good hack! I cant think of many WF hacks, there are plenty for the cubes and pouches.

    -I have been using a Cache in lieu of a Brain Cell ever since I upgraded to a tablet, using the Velcro straps to attach the Cache rail clips to the Brain Cell mounting points. It allows for a TSA-Friendly sleeve removal described here Cache with Rails in a Western Flyer?

    -I also use the smaller Freudian Slip using half of the divided front pocket instead of the full size FS. This allows me to carry my lunch, or an extra jacket and gloves in the other half.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •