Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Cubelet

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome pics, Darcy! You are the best!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Sorry for the late posting, but I've been having problems connecting and posting at some locations. (I actually called in to TB on Friday to say that I was having progressive problems reaching the forums). I was able to connect to Ravelry this morning, but even there the option to upload images via email wasn't working for me.

I got the Travel Cube in Alphaviolet, and I can totally see getting this in more Ballistic colors, and also in Halcyon.

Travel Cubelet-img_3467-jpg
    These show some items that can fit into the Travel Cubelet (not necessarily all at once!). I can load in a standard size paperback, along with a filled 3D Organizer Cube into the main compartment of the Travel Cubelet, and zip it up, then insert a passport or mini organizer pouch in the front diagonally zipped pocket.

Travel Cubelet-img_3471-jpg

Alternatively, I could put that stuffed Eagle Creek Specter II quarter packing cube inside the Travel Cubelet, instead.

Travel Cubelet-img_3472-jpg

Here's the inverted Travel Cubelet, showing the pocket and insert for the pen. The pocket is made of Carbon Aether, and this is the back side of the Travel Cubelet's diagonal zippered pocket (Aether lining). It's a fairly deep pocket -- I can place my Passport pouch holding a Passport inside it. It probably doesn't hold more than 3 or 4 passports (my passport has extra pages, so I can't judge current depth of the typical Passport), but you can keep more inside the body of the Cubelet. The pocket currently holds a Moleskine Small Volant notebook -- similar in size to a Field Notes notebook. The thickest pocket journal I can insert is that Rhodia Tablet (10.5 x 14.8 cm / 4.1" x 5.8"). A hardcover Leuchtturm pocket notebook (90 x 150 mm) would also fit that pocket, as would a Rhodia web notebook (3.5" x 5.5").

The pen slot to the right of the pocket is holding a Lamy Safari Petrol fountain pen, and there is an O-Ring plus keystrap at the upper left corner.

The Hobonichi Weeks Diary is slightly too tall for the Travel Cubelet (it can fit if you use the sag at the bottom of the Cubelet, but the top edge presses against the zipper). The Weeks Memo Books that I like to use (example shown in green to right of the Weeks Diary), fit in just fine.

Either the Kindle Paperwhite or the Kindle Voyage (in an Origami case) fits easily into the Travel Cubelet. (Either one is smaller than that standard paperback that I inserted along with a filled 3D Organizer Cube). The older Kindle Keyboard is too tall for the Travel Cubelet.

Travel Cubelet-img_3473-jpg

I've swapped in the Rhodia tablet into the pocket in this picture, and moved the Moleskine below the Travel Cubelet.

The next few pictures are for those of you who like the "bag in bag" usage. This shows the regular Cubelet (in Viridian) inside the Travel Cubelet and attached via the keystrap/O-ring to the upper left of the pocket, with a view of the Pocket filled with a Rhodia Web Notebook (without inverting the Travel Cubelet):

Travel Cubelet-img_3474-jpg

I've pulled the Cubelet and Rhodia notebook out of the pocket and Travel Cubelet. To the right, I show a Grundig Etonic M300 AM/FM + Shortwave Radio. (Color doesn't match Alphaviolet, but this just shows that if you need to use the Travel Cubelet for disaster situations in a hurricane or flood, it will carry one of these emergency radios, though not with a completely filled Cubelet also inside).

Travel Cubelet-img_3476-jpg

Here's a front view of the Travel Cubelet, flipped over with the Viridian Cubelet still attached to the keystrap inside the Travel Cubelet, and the Rhodia Webnotebook pulled out of the pocket. To the O-ring inside the front, diagonal zippered pocket, I've attached a Kiwi/Nordic Pocket Pouch.

Travel Cubelet-img_3478-jpg

I'm more inclined to carry a smaller notebook, take along my Kindle, and glasses in a Cτte et Ciel eyewear sleeve.

Travel Cubelet-upload_medium-jpeg

ETA:

On Ravelry I got a question about using the Travel Cubelet for water bottles. Although Travel Cubelet is deep enough to hold a standard 500 ml bottle of water, it's not tall enough to hold one zipped up. However, you can zip the Travel Cubelet around the neck of such a water bottle, and place other items (lip balm, keys, an energy bar, etc.) into the Travel Cubelet on either side of the water botle. Or, you can fit in the 6 oz juice packs with straws or 8 oz. chocolate milk packages in to the Travel Cubelet (especially useful when traveling with kids). If you put in a standard 500 ml water bottle, zipped up with the neck outside as shown, you could insert a small notebook, but nothing thick and hard -- like a kindle, unless you make the pouch seriously bulge outside of its design specs.
    Last edited by moriond; 10-26-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Any attempts on S19 or S25?
    It fits well in the bottom pocket of the Synapse 25, but not very well in the bottom of the Synapse 19. It would be a little squished in the side pockets of either bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    So, to my question: is the travel cubelet the TB 'pouch' that would best fit-to-fill that front compartment of the Pilot? Thanks!
    I think it's a really great choice for a little extra organization in the front pocket of a Pilot! We do have a Small Pilot Packing Cube, if you wanted to fill that pocket all the way to the top, but that Packing Cube doesn't have the added organization that the Travel Cubelet has.

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Darcy! That's very helpful! Can you tell us a bit more about the lining of the bag? Is it black, or...?

ETA: Oh, looks like the question has been answered - it's the same colour as the outside? Thanks, Moriond! Smilie
    Last edited by Antonia; 10-23-2017 at 04:42 PM.
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I read the newsletter this morning I added the travel cublet to my wishlist because it looks like the perfect small travel purse I have been looking for for the past few years. Not a fan of the bright colors; will be ordering basic boring black Frown so that I can use it for both business and personal travel. Can it be offered in other neutral colors like coyote, navy (I think you call it deep sea), olive, steel, cloud, aubergine?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks terrific! I carry a small size Double Organizer Pouch on a handle loop at work and the Travel Cubelet will work great for those times I need to carry a bit more. Thanks TB Crew!

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I read the newsletter this morning I added the Travel Cubelet to my wishlist since it looks like the perfect small travel purse I've been looking for. But I'm disappointed that I will be ordering it in basic boring black so that I can use it for both business and personal travel. Can it be offered in other classic, neutral colors - coyote, olive, cloud, steel, navy (I think you call it deep sea)? Plus I think men would also find this bag useful as a packing cube for a laptop bag if they remove the shoulder strap and more masculine colors would be appreciated.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy, thanks for clarifying the pocket situation!

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, @MikeV! I was wondering how it would do in one of the Pilot's side pockets! Can't wait to check one out!

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Tom Bihn Crew- I saw USPS as an option in the email I received. Is the USPS shipping for real? Will there be an option for that, or do you have to put in the comments? UPS always takes 8 calendar days to reach me on the east coast, and priority mail gets here much faster than that. This way I wouldn't have to pay for expedited shipping in order to have it for a Nov 4 trip.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    @Tom Bihn Crew- I saw USPS as an option in the email I received. Is the USPS shipping for real? Will there be an option for that, or do you have to put in the comments? UPS always takes 8 calendar days to reach me on the east coast, and priority mail gets here much faster than that. This way I wouldn't have to pay for expedited shipping in order to have it for a Nov 4 trip.
    Yes I had my last order come USPS. It was fantastic. Way quicker than UPS, but it was small enough to be in a mailer, not a box. Maybe it depends what your order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel Little Swift * Latest: nNordic/NWS Smart Alec *

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I see the size difference. Travel Cubelet: 0.6L; Side Kick: 3.0L.

I know a forum member (ahem) who is known to use the Side Effect as a purse. I wonder if she'll change.

(PS - The Side Effect is 1.5L.)
    if y’mean me, we shall see! Kinda liking the idea of the black ballistic one.
    Last edited by capncat; 10-23-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Forum Member
    Midwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I am guessing A30.
    Thank you.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm a guy, so I don't do purses, but I wonder how this differs from a Side Kick? It looks smaller. My impression is that the Side Kick could function very much like a purse. But this looks like a terrific bag within a bag organization pouch, even for men. (Same with the Side Kick or Side Effect).
    Hi @zephyr,

I answered a question over on Ravelry about the size of the Travel Cubelet that might help you envision this. (The Travel Cubelet is 10% larger in volume than the Side Effect)

The Travel Cubelet is nearly the same height as the Side Kick (7.3”/185 mm for Travel Cubelet vs 7.5”/190 mm for Side Kick). In volume, it holds 10% more than the Side Effect (100 cu in./1.7 liters for TC vs 90 cu in./1.5 liters for SE). It does this by having greater depth than either the Side Kick (2.8”/70mm) or the Side Effect (2”/50 mm), with a thickness of 3.0”/75 mm). That’s how I was able to insert both a paperback and a filled 3D Organizer Cube into the main compartment of the Travel Cubelet.

To a first approximation, think of taking a Side Kick, and cutting off a length of 5.7”/145 mm (or 60% of the length) out of the 9.5”/245 mm length of the Side Kick. Then, make it slightly blockier by making it a little shorter (7.3” instead of 7.5”) and a little thicker (3.0” instead of 2.8”). You end up with something 10% larger in volume than the Side Effect, and with a vertical orientation.
    Side Kick: 9.6 x 7.5 x 2.8" / 245 x 190 x 70mm Volume: 185 cubic inches / 3.0 liters
    Travel Cubelet: 7.3” x 5.7” x 3” / 185 x 145 x 75 mm Volume: 100 cubic inches / 1.7 liters
    Side Effect: 8.6" x 5" x 2" / 220 x 130 x 50 mm Volume: 90 cubic inches / 1.5 liter

HTH,

moriond

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be purchasing one in Mars Red for my various Red Team Sporting Events, and on in Alphaviolet for EDC/Travel/Packing Org. Has anyone tried it in an end pocket of an A30? My A30 just arrived, and the Travel Cubelet could be the purse inside the bag for one bag carry for my trip to England and Belgium this December.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast