Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    The Founder's Briefcase would have to be the underlayer.

The problem with these 2-into-1 bags, particularly with laptops, is weight distribution. You might want to use the laptop in your daybag, but traveling with it placed all the way on the outside of the pack is going to make it feel much heavier. The laptop should be against your back, especially something as big as a 15 inch laptop.
    That's a good point, which also occurred to me. I'm not sure how you could make it so that the smaller bag is nested against your back, but maybe it could hook in somehow?

My goal is really to have something where my hands are 100% free in full travel mode, but I have a separate day bag I can use once I reach my destination. The second goal is for that not to eat into the very limited space you get on a bag that conforms to European carry-on specs. European airlines still let you carry a personal item, so as long as they can also come apart then, it works.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Day bag that attaches to outside of main bag

Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    That's a good point, which also occurred to me. I'm not sure how you could make it so that the smaller bag is nested against your back, but maybe it could hook in somehow?

My goal is really to have something where my hands are 100% free in full travel mode, but I have a separate day bag I can use once I reach my destination. The second goal is for that not to eat into the very limited space you get on a bag that conforms to European carry-on specs. European airlines still let you carry a personal item, so as long as they can also come apart then, it works.
    So, what about a Euro-sized Hero's Journey with an externally-accessible laptop slot right next to where the backpack straps zip away? Hm, that doesn't solve the problem of a bigger laptop not fitting in the daybag. What if the zip off day bag got bigger when it was turned inside out instead of smaller? Now that would be a real TARDIS bag. Day bag that attaches to outside of main bag
    Last edited by Cristina; 10-24-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Typo

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, what about a Euro-sized Hero's Journey with an externally-accessible laptop slot right next to where the backpack straps zip away? Hm, that doesn't solve the problem of a bigger laptop not fitting in the daybag. What if the zip off day bag got bigger when it was turned inside out instead of smaller? Now that would be a real TARDIS bag. Day bag that attaches to outside of main bag
    That truly would be the ultimate bag.

I actually think it might be kind of doable, too, though perhaps not by inverting a compartment.

Imagine the Hero's Micro-Journey has a "pocket" between the frame and the main cabin, sort of like how a lot of backpacks have a laptop pocket there. Instead of a laptop, it would let you insert a smaller day-bag. So it would be a "3d" compartment that widens the bag.

Then, when you convert into two-bag mode, you remove the day-bag with your laptop from the main bag and close a zipper or two that compresses the bag back down to European carry-on limits.

So in other words, an expansion zipper that opens up a 3d pocket that accepts a made-to-fit day bag.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    That truly would be the ultimate bag.

I actually think it might be kind of doable, too, though perhaps not by inverting a compartment.

Imagine the Hero's Micro-Journey has a "pocket" between the frame and the main cabin, sort of like how a lot of backpacks have a laptop pocket there. Instead of a laptop, it would let you insert a smaller day-bag. So it would be a "3d" compartment that widens the bag.

Then, when you convert into two-bag mode, you remove the day-bag with your laptop from the main bag and close a zipper or two that compresses the bag back down to European carry-on limits.

So in other words, an expansion zipper that opens up a 3d pocket that accepts a made-to-fit day bag.
    That sounds pretty neat! Since you are a permanent traveler, I am sure you already have a system for this, but with this 3D bag, where are your wallet, phone, keys, passport, etc? Do you have pockets on your clothing for that? Do you use a passport neck pouch?

It is that sort of thing that kills the one bag idea for me. I have to have my Side Kick or Side Effect accessible. Once I have a backpack on, I find it annoying to have to take it off to get something out of it. The closest I have come to a one bag scenario is adding a Side Effect as a side pocket on my S25.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds pretty neat! Since you are a permanent traveler, I am sure you already have a system for this, but with this 3D bag, where are your wallet, phone, keys, passport, etc? Do you have pockets on your clothing for that? Do you use a passport neck pouch?
    Well, I don't have a perfect magic bag yet. And I only wish I had an impressive system.

Being male, I have room in my jeans for a lot of stuff, but for comfort, I fly with empty pockets. I do use a Halcyon Side Kick, which folds down to virtually nothing, as an in-flight organizer inspired by the various first-class amenity kits I've come across. It all started when I got a really nice amenity kit in a nice leather bag flying international first. I kept the bag and restocked it when I flew economy, only to eventually replace it with a more practical Side Kick. When I reach my destination, the Side Kick can function as a day bag, though it's a little casual/techy for my style.

I don't use my passport or wallet in-flight, so I keep them in my carry-on and only bother with them when I'm in the immigration line.

On the wallet note, before stowing my wallet, I pull out one credit card to make any in-flight purchases. I also do have my passport number memorized. If you don't, it's probably worth snapping a photo of it on your phone so you can fill out the customs paperwork before landing.

For a long flight, my Side Kick has the usual suspects: phone, Kindle, chargers, battery pack, Bose Headphones, etc. But I also like to throw in some comfort items and things to keep me healthy: Mints, anti-bacterial wipes for my tray table, pen+note pad, melatonin and B vitamins to combat jet lag, credit card-sized phone stand, sleep mask, lotion, reading glasses, lip balm, those little Oral-B Brush-Ups things or similar, face/body wipes, etc. Sometimes I'll bring on a couple little airplane bottles of liquor to make myself a little cocktail.

Last year a friend of mine bought me (semi-jokingly) an "in-flight cocktail kit." It's a novelty, and I wouldn't recommend it given that you're paying like $15 for basically nothing, but sometimes I do reuse its little bottle of bitters and throw in a couple of sugar packets so I can make a passable old fashioned at 30000 feet.

But anyway. Really it just depends what I think I'll want on a flight. But my advice for a long flight is definitely to make an in-flight amenity kit with more than just the basics. It's like a little present from yourself that you open once you take off. A care package.

Anyway, no, I don't have any real system besides that. I leave my passport and wallet in my bag. FWIW, I do also have a "hidden pocket" for going around the city with a day bag. It's comfortable and virtually pickpocket-proof. Besides my money, I also keep my Global Entry card it in it. I figure if my passport is stolen, the Global Entry card will work to easily replace it at the consulate
    Last edited by bouncing; 10-26-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can place a Packing Cube Backpack, a Daylight Backpack or Briefcase in the shoulder straps compartment of the Aeronautes, Tristar and other big TB Travel Bags.

Place your laptop in a Cache and the Cache in one of those minimalist bags and you have a portable and lightweight computer solution.

I think the Luminary might also work, but this is not certain, anyone has experience placing it in the shoulder bag compartment of one of the TB Big Travel Bags?

el trinche
    "Place your laptop in a Cache and the Cache in one of those minimalist bags and you have a portable and lightweight computer solution"
    Actually that one seems the better option.

I d choose Daylight Backpack + Tristar

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    You can place a Packing Cube Backpack, a Daylight Backpack or Briefcase in the shoulder straps compartment of the Aeronautes, Tristar and other big TB Travel Bags.

Place your laptop in a Cache and the Cache in one of those minimalist bags and you have a portable and lightweight computer solution.

I think the Luminary might also work, but this is not certain, anyone has experience placing it in the shoulder bag compartment of one of the TB Big Travel Bags?
    I did this last time I traveled with my Aeronaut 45, but it's not exactly as good of a solution as some other bags out there. I would honestly prefer it if the bag was always a backpack and accounted for the laptop. So many people travel with laptops these days that it feels sorta kinda ignored by Tom Bihn. Perhaps it just isn't their demographic? I don't know, but in either case personally I would prefer it if Tom Bihn made a bag similar-ish to the Minaal Carry-On in terms of it's general 10,000 foot view approach to the bag.

The typically great Tom Bihn internal organization for clothing (packing cubes, stuff sacks, and o-rings galore). A dedicated laptop compartment with room for a tablet as well. And a dedicated backpack. Offer this in multiple sizes like a 30L/40L variety or 35/45L and I would probably pick one up right away.

Personally kind of hoping this is the new cyber monday announcement product. Throw a DLBP in for day pack usage and this would be a winner for me and my new travel bag. As much as I like the Aeronaut 45 it just doesn't quite work for the most common usage scenario for me and that's business travel.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Selykg View Post
    I did this last time I traveled with my Aeronaut 45, but it's not exactly as good of a solution as some other bags out there. I would honestly prefer it if the bag was always a backpack and accounted for the laptop. So many people travel with laptops these days that it feels sorta kinda ignored by Tom Bihn. Perhaps it just isn't their demographic? I don't know, but in either case personally I would prefer it if Tom Bihn made a bag similar-ish to the Minaal Carry-On in terms of it's general 10,000 foot view approach to the bag.

The typically great Tom Bihn internal organization for clothing (packing cubes, stuff sacks, and o-rings galore). A dedicated laptop compartment with room for a tablet as well. And a dedicated backpack. Offer this in multiple sizes like a 30L/40L variety or 35/45L and I would probably pick one up right away.

Personally kind of hoping this is the new cyber monday announcement product. Throw a DLBP in for day pack usage and this would be a winner for me and my new travel bag. As much as I like the Aeronaut 45 it just doesn't quite work for the most common usage scenario for me and that's business travel.
    I think that the Tristar, Western Flyer and Stowaway were designed for that purpose, the briefcase look with the possibility of backpack ease of carry.

Tom and The Crew have chosen to the Cache to protect electronic devices, it enables people to travel with as much or as little electronic as they wish.
    It also helps balance electronic needs with garments, toiletries, medications... Some Bihnthusiasts have the need to carry health care devices, others need a roller to use with their Tom Bihn personal item.

I can fit a tablet, or two, in my S19, even if I include the FJN and some letter size documents in a Large Organizer Pouch.

I could also include a laptop, if I decided to upgrade to the S25 size, all I would need is a Cache to fit the laptop. You could order a Synapse 25, a cache that fit your laptop and try it for 60 days (indoors and leaving the tags and Key Straps on). If you like the arrangement, keep it, if not send it back.

The Brain Bag can easily accommodate 2 big laptops, so a laptop and tablets would be no problem.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I think that the Tristar, Western Flyer and Stowaway were designed for that purpose, the briefcase look with the possibility of backpack ease of carry.

Tom and The Crew have chosen to the Cache to protect electronic devices, it enables people to travel with as much or as little electronic as they wish.
    It also helps balance electronic needs with garments, toiletries, medications... Some Bihnthusiasts have the need to carry health care devices, others need a roller to use with their Tom Bihn personal item.

I can fit a tablet, or two, in my S19, even if I include the FJN and some letter size documents in a Large Organizer Pouch.

I could also include a laptop, if I decided to upgrade to the S25 size, all I would need is a Cache to fit the laptop. You could order a Synapse 25, a cache that fit your laptop and try it for 60 days (indoors and leaving the tags and Key Straps on). If you like the arrangement, keep it, if not send it back.

The Brain Bag can easily accommodate 2 big laptops, so a laptop and tablets would be no problem.
    Agreed!

Iím totally behind the Tristar/Daylight Briefcase combo. Itís so handy as I can take my usual minimalist DLBC, remove Absolute Strap and it drops right into the middle compartment of the TS. The Absolute Strap goes on the TS. A pouch or two may transfer from the TS to the horizontal pockets on the outside.

Keys, change, wallet and other pocket stuff go in bottom horizontal front pocket of the TS. Keys are already on a KeyStrap and are safe and sound on an O-ring. Phone drops in the middle front pocket. Belt is rolled up and put on top of the back zipped panel. This means only my shoes and maybe jacket are loose at security. No pocket emptying either at the X-ray. After security I refill my pockets with a credit card and phone, leaving the wallet secured. I put on my belt and Iím on my way.

My clear 3DOC 3-1-1 sits vertically next to the DLBC. My MacBook Pro 13Ē is still in DLBC Cache and slides right out with the 3DOC at security.

Iím 6í1Ē and the TS as a backpack is a snap. No wheels, it stays sitting upright and is low-profile. I can move nimbly through the concourses and ground transportation.

Highly recommend the Bluffworks Gramercy suit. The suit allows me to pack for a professional setting in a minimal one bag set up.

No matter where I fly, the first leg is on a regional jet. The TS fits in the overhead once I pop out the DLBC. I smile when I walk past all the folks on the jetway waiting for their gate checked bags.

Learn the Tristarís ways, itís quite something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WF with a Brain Cell was probably the MOST protective laptop bag I ever had. But, I think the days of schlepping bulky laptops are numbered, and the cache is a better investment form a manufacturing standpoint (I wonder if my old size 1 Brain Cell would even command something on eBay...). I'm sure they're getting more bang for their design buck.

Before I got my WF, I was looking at a bag that had a strap that could be deconstructed into ballistic "strips" with zipper edging. You could use these strips to add depth to the bag on the road, it looked very convenient, but probably not durable enough for one-bag travel. The website looked halfa**, and they eventually disappeared. I imagine the epic durability of TB seams would be difficult to achieve using zippers to hold everything together like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2