Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pushing the limits

I'm traveling for work. On Sunday, I was standing in line, waiting to board a full-to-capacity United 737 with my Tri-Star and Side Effect, when we (Groups 4 & 5) were told all large bags had to be checked because there was no more overhead space. I smiled smugly, knowing my Tri-Star will fit under the seat of 737 easily.

However, when I boarded and was about to slip it under the seat, the flight attendant said "You can't put that there. It won't fit and I won't have it blocking my row." I said I know it does fit because I've done this before. But she would have none of it. Luckily there was a small space in the bin across the aisle and it tucked in there nicely.

It really bugged me and I was annoyed with her the whole trip. I just stared at the huge space under the seat in front of me where my bag could be. On my connection flight I did put it under the seat in front of me on a smaller AirBus, just to spite her and none of the flight attendants even batted an eye. Smilie

Looking at my bag under the seat and how close it came to the walk way, I thought that the flight attendant was right. If something happened and we needed to exit immediately, would someone trip over my bag on their way out? So "fitting" is relative but the idea is that it should be tucked away so it does not interfere with people getting in and out of their seats.

I'm torn by this, now. It is convenient for me to be able to use the space under the seat, especially since I usually only have one bag and board near the end of the process. But does my convenience outweigh others' safety? Or am I just overthinking this? To be fair, United does post the size of the personnel item that should go under the seat, while other airlines don't provide any sort of guidance.

I don't know why this is bothering me but I'd like to know what others think about using the space under seats, even though the bag may not fit exactly.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happened to me once as well. However, I carry a $3,000 laptop in my Tristar and informed them I would take a bump from the flight before I would stick it under the plane, and they relented.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I am lucky here and can not imagine sticking a bag under the seat in front of me for any reason?
    Where would my feet go then?

I am so uncomfortable in the air anyway that I can't picture making it worse on purpose,yes I have long legs and big feet.

I too have always been able to cram the T.S. into spaces that seem too small which is just one reason I love that bag!
    I only recently have been carrying an A45 and it seems to offer that same basic feature but I hate to fly enough that I have been driving everywhere since getting it too.

My Mileage has Varied!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enforcement of the rules are by the discretion of the flight attendants but that rule is there for a very good reason...
    If there is a flight emergency - often it is dark, smokey, scary & chaotic - you don't want there to be anything that could tangle up your feet. It's even harder if you have any mobility issues, are assisting someone, holding a baby, etc.
    Convenience is king in many areas, but this is one where I personally don't cheat at all... if it doesn't fit, it goes in the overhead or is even checked. That level of inconvenience is nothing compared to a flight emergency... and it's a good reminder (for me, YMMV) to pack lighter.
    Flying is still safer than driving and I always fasten my seatbelt too, even when just going around the block...

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have long legs, and the idea of something much bigger than a Shop Bag or Co-Pilot in front of me is torture. I've progressively packed lighter and smaller, and a big reason for that is that I want those precious inches of leg room.

In fact, even on a recent flight where I only carried a Side Kick and Co-Pilot, I still put them overhead and kept my in-flight essentials tucked in my pockets. Since those bags were so tiny, they fit in front of other bags stowed in the bin.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your storry, here is why: I get bugged by people so easily and feel so right and them so in the wrong! Anf come hinesight I often have to admit that there is more than one right or even... that I was wrong.

With flight related stuff and all thouse rules that often do not get enforced, these things feel so randoum and that also bugs me. Since I have not flown a 737 nor have I your bag I can not contribute but I felt your process there sounded so familier that it made me smile and knod and say thanks for sharing :-)

Ilkyway

ETA: @G42 I have often thought: would not ANYTHING under the chairs end up in the isles if it gets ruff? Like my SSB is totally within the rules, but would it not maybe slide out and cause problems?
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 11-07-2017 at 09:03 AM.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back up this bus for a minute: one reason there is so much carry-on is because people don't trust the airlines to route and handle their baggage reliably....for good reasons.....we've all been burned at least once. However, another reason is that some are just in a hurry upon arrival and can't wait around for the maddening luggage carousel to finally regurgitate your bag(s).

All that said, it is the reality. I say use the space under the seat for the bag you mentioned. Most airline stews will find it acceptable; at least that's my experience (with other bags).

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=would not ANYTHING under the chairs end up in the isles if it gets ruff? Like my SSB is totally within the rules, but would it not maybe slide out and cause problems?[/QUOTE]

Sure, there's always a good chance any of the baggage will move, bins fly open, etc. depending on turbulence & circumstances - there's a whole world of things that could happen.

A bag bigger than what fits under the seat is a tripping hazard though, regardless.

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the FARs are pretty clear and I'd be shocked if a TS can fit fully under a 737 seat, leaving the aisle fully open for evacuation.

I'd say you should be more angry at lazy flight attendants who don't take your or your seat mates safety seriously enough to enforce the rules.

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    I'd say you should be more angry at lazy flight attendants who don't take your or your seat mates safety seriously enough to enforce the rules.
    Funny you should say that. I actually did think that. You could hear the frustration in her voice of having to deal with this kind of thing all day, everyday. In a calmer moment, I did realize this and appreciated her conern. Took a beer and time during the final leg of the trip, but I did appreciate it.

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that 'to fit under the seat in front' means 'to fit completely under the seat in front, without extending into either the aisle or the clear foot space in your row.' A bag that is tucked under the seat in front but juts into the foot space of one's row, or the aisle, could easily be a safety hazard as others' said above. Should we not hold ourselves to standards of politeness and common decency when we fly, without needing cabin crew to correct selfish behaviours?

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sujo look how everybody is agreeing with the conclusion you drew yourself from your experiance :-D

I think traveling is a stressfull time and mistakes or missjudgments happen. How great when we can share them after the fact and kind of share the lesson? For me it was the lightbulb that went on once I realised that I am giving the person in front of me a good shake each time I stand up when I use their headrest to help me do so. Ever since I do an aquward little wiggle to get upright not sure if it is me being to clumbsy or if the tight space is responsible but I find it not too easy to get up WITHOUT the backrast of the seat in front of me.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pushing the limits

It would be nice if the various airlines and cabin crews were consistent in what they deemed acceptable so that the average flyer might stand a chance of knowing what was OK and what was not, they are the trained experts after all. My S19 fits under a seat without issue, but I’ve seen other bags poking out some ..... I always assumed the crew took into account the way the seat backs tilted in their assessments ..... now it seems that some just care more than others Pushing the limits

Often, the EasyJet flights that I take are so full that the crew will announce that any non-wheeled bags MUST go under the seat in front of you, clearly I need to switch airlines Pushing the limits

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ceepee; 11-08-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Should we not hold ourselves to standards of politeness and common decency when we fly, without needing cabin crew to correct selfish behaviours?
    Yes. Well said. And wouldn’t it be nice if those standards were met in ALL walks of life, not just travel.
    Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    Well, the FARs are pretty clear and I'd be shocked if a TS can fit fully under a 737 seat, leaving the aisle fully open for evacuation.
    This is a picture of a Tristar and Co-Pilot under the seat of a Southwest Airlines 737. I used that picture in one of my posts that tried to answer questions about how various model bags fit under the seat in front of you.

The original image was first posted by @SusanM on June 6, 2011, in response to a review of the Tri-Star. She stated in that thread:

As MyJourneys mentioned, the Tri-Star fits under the seat. This was my first trip with TB items, so I brought along my Co-Pilot, just to experiment. This was taken on a 737.
    and

Hello,

When I took the photo of the two bags under the seat, I just wanted to see if they would both fit. You're right..... there was ZERO room for my feet. I immediately put the Co-Pilot back in the Tri-Star, which was stuffed, but not overstuffed. I was on a Southwest 737 in or behind an exit row. There was no seat to the right of the seat you see in the picture, which would have been a window seat. I had a middle seat and my husband sat to my right with lots of leg room
    She also referenced this picture a year later to answer a question in that thread:
    conejo23: "has anyone flown Southwest with the Tri-Star and been able to fit a reasonably packed one under the seat in front of you?"
    I know that that present (original) references to the picture on photobucket point to broken links, but I can establish the provenance of the picture through some of my earlier posts that both cite the originating posts and give the picture (in case this is in question).

However, what may make the current guidelines trickier to enforce, is the changing specifications of space for the Boeing 737 aircraft, with , and with the known variation in legroom, etc. among different airlines using the 737 series, as described in this June 30, 2017 Chicago Tribune article that was titled, "Care about every inch of airline legroom? Do your homework."

A few quoted extracts:
    For now, only low-cost U.S. carriers like Spirit and Frontier airlines have dipped to 28 inches of seat pitch — about enough room for two large Domino's pizzas, placed crust to crust, assuming the passenger in front doesn't recline. United Airlines, Delta Air Lines and American's coach seats typically have between 30 and 32 inches, depending on the type of aircraft and layout.
    But finding a more comfortable seat takes some homework.

On a Boeing 737-800, Southwest gives passengers up to an inch more pitch — 32 to 33 inches — than Delta's 31 to 32 inches. American allots 31 inches, United between 30 and 31 inches. United, American and Delta all sell coach seats with 34 inches between rows on some 737-800s, but United also has a version of the aircraft with 37 inches of pitch in Economy Plus — as much as business or first-class flyers get on different versions of the same plane.
    So maybe the underseat space is a moving target, that shifts with carriers and aircraft models.

HTH

moriond

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast