Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    Let us take a moment to thank the retired Smart Alec. There are no more left. Such an intrepid bag! Perhaps not as iconic as the Synapses or Brain Bag, but there's no other backpack I'd chose as my one bag to travel with. Synapse has more built in organization; Brain Bag has more space; but the Smart Alec has an ease to it. It's roomy and comfortable and easy to pack.
    Enjoy your active retirement! I look forward to using your for years to come.

Here are mine. A steel/Iberian with a Since 1972 label and a brand new nordic/wasabi with Portable Culture label.
    Hear, hear!
    I'm on a trip right now with my steel/iberian... it's holding everything I need for the weekend including my personal computer and work computer for last Friday's 'working from home' day. I also have a black/NWS halcyon.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Hear, hear!
    I'm on a trip right now with my steel/iberian... it's holding everything I need for the weekend including my personal computer and work computer for last Friday's 'working from home' day. I also have a black/NWS halcyon.
    You already know! My steel/Iberian Smart Alec came first. I briefly had a black halcyon/NWS but didn't bond with the color, so it went back to the mothership for someone else to use. In the meantime, someone evidently returned a nordic/wasabi Smart Alec, which I love! Thanks you, person who returned that bag. It has a very appreciative home. I'm not a blue fan, but I call the Nordic/wasabi SA my blue bag of happiness. I've been using it daily even when I'm not carrying a lot. It's a great winter commuter bag.

Washington DC-ish
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    Let us take a moment to thank the retired Smart Alec. There are no more left. Such an intrepid bag! Perhaps not as iconic as the Synapses or Brain Bag, but there's no other backpack I'd chose as my one bag to travel with. Synapse has more built in organization; Brain Bag has more space; but the Smart Alec has an ease to it. It's roomy and comfortable and easy to pack.
    Enjoy your active retirement! I look forward to using your for years to come.
    My Smart Alec was my first Tom Bihn bag. I'm guessing I bought it in 2008, but I'm not exactly sure of the date. It is my most-used bag. It is my favorite. It is the most comfortable backpack I have ever carried. I debated buying a last-run version for the newer features, but in the end couldn't justify it because there's nothing wrong with my 10-year old one.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so everyone knows. I purchased the returned aubergine/wasabi SA. I already have a steel/iberian that is brand new with tags still. I will be returning it this week so there will be one left as I was wanting the aubergine/wasabi combo.
    Bigs: S30 | S25 | A30 | SA
    Littles: SE | SC / | 3DOC | TC | PP | N4 | WFPC | FAP | 3DCOC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attachment 19988

My black dyneema/original halcyon SA with the MPs (from the final batch of black dyneema MPs, I think) at the airport with a 3 days of clothing and my office laptop. I'm really fond of this bag because only the centre panel is dyneema/halcyon. Was running around town with this bag doing urgent delivery of documents and managed to flag down a taxi just in time to catch my flight. The SA is a very comfy backpack.
    Attached Images Attached Images SA already gone??-img_9739-jpg 
    Last edited by adalangdon; 02-15-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know why the smart alec was retired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by folvera View Post
    Does anyone know why the smart alec was retired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To make way for something new.

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steel/Iberian is on its way back - it is obviously such a fantastic bag but I just can't justify it now.

I wrote in the little comment section on the return label generator --- I'm returning this one, a Parental Unit (Steel/Island is the real deal, people), a Brain Bag (the kiddo liked a different color) and a now-retired Aubergine D36 (just not quite big enough), and I'm 100% sure that in the future I will really regret returning one of them - I just don't know which one yet!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cazique View Post
    (Steel/Island is the real deal, people)
    I really want something (manythings) in steel/island, but I only found Bihn in August and right now it's only found in the Parental Unit like you saw and the Cadet - neither of which are bags that would work for me....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3