Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Bettendorf, IA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SA already gone??

60 seconds in??

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now showing as available SA already gone??

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Bettendorf, IA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I get to the check out page I'm repeatedly getting an error saying that they ran out.

Forum Member
    Bettendorf, IA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched to another browser and it worked. Bizarre.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, the Smart Alecs aren't sold out yet, so you should be able to place an order -- @zephyr, are you in touch with our customer service crew?
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I switched to another browser and it worked. Bizarre.
    Whew! Mind telling me which browser and version? I tried to replicate what you were experiencing but couldn't.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Bettendorf, IA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What seemed to happen is I was in checkout, and during checkout the upper module ran out. Instead of just removing this one item and leaving the rest, the checkout page froze. I went back to the TB home page (or anywhere else) and all of the original items were still there, including the upper module. I didn't know which item had run out until I went to the SA product page.

Would still like an upper module, but I managed to get the rest (an SA, lower module plus some organizers).

I was using Chrome.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Darcy, under the Upper Modular Pocket, it says "Temporarily Unavailable." Does that mean there will be another wave of pockets being made, or is that an error? Any chance pockets will be made in anything other than black as a final retirement production?
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What seemed to happen is I was in checkout, and during checkout the upper module ran out. Instead of just removing this one item and leaving the rest, the checkout page froze. I went back to the TB home page (or anywhere else) and all of the original items were still there, including the upper module. I didn't know which item had run out until I went to the SA product page.

Would still like an upper module, but I managed to get the rest (an SA, lower module plus some organizers).

I was using Chrome.
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    @Darcy, under the Upper Modular Pocket, it says "Temporarily Unavailable." Does that mean there will be another wave of pockets being made, or is that an error? Any chance pockets will be made in anything other than black as a final retirement production?
    The Smart Alec Upper Modular Pocket is now sold out and no more will be made. While we would have been glad to make a final production run of Smart Alec Modular Pockets, the factory crew is/has been busy making other bags (some of which you'll see this coming Monday!)

Thanks, zephyr, for sharing those details. I'll look into that. Sorry that the shopping cart took you for that roller coaster ride.

Forum Member
    Bettendorf, IA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure the upper modular pocket was ever available...

I tried to order within the first 60 seconds that the Smart Alec was freed up. I'd be surprised if that many people were trying to buy within a 60 second period...

The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure the upper modular pocket was ever available...

I tried to order within the first 60 seconds that the Smart Alec was freed up. I'd be surprised if that many people were trying to buy within a 60 second period...
    There weren't a lot, but there were some, and they sold out very quickly.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just curious if anyone had difficulty ordering a 1" padded hip belt along with the SA from the Smart Alec product page today?

In the Hard time choosing thread about the Smart Alec, I commented to @pammy's "what color did you get?" question to @tuskeegee earlier today:

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    You assumed she already placed her order since the product page is live? (Don't forget to include a hip belt)
    (The answer was Black Halcyon; but she further stated):
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskegee7294 View Post
    Crap I️ forgot that...was gonna wait until a later order to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just checking on the Smart Alec product page now, I don't seem to find the option for adding a 1" hip belt for the SA to be working, although you can go directly to the product page for that 1" hip belt (link given above) and separately order the hip belt.

Anyone that can shed some light about this, @Darcy? (I'm not actually placing an SA order, since I ordered the Black Halcyon/Island Smart Alec as soon as that option was available, and I already have a hip belt for this.)

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Just curious if anyone had difficulty ordering a 1" padded hip belt along with the SA from the Smart Alec product page today?

moriond
    I couldn't order at launch time but was able to get to my computer 45 minutes later. I was able to order the hip belt from the SA page normally.

I am bummed about the UMP. It never dawned on me to order one last week. That was my favorite of the SA "accessories". Of course I've had years to order a SA, and never decided that it was the right bag at the right time. But with all the people singing the SA's praises lately, I finally decided now was the right time. If I don't come up with a good use for those upper loops, they are going to bug me.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    If I don't come up with a good use for those upper loops, they are going to bug me.
    Although I did get an UMP in time, I feel the same way. A solution: string glowire or basic paracord from grommet to grommet up through all the loops. I think this makes an UMP-less SA look like it is supposed to have the upper loops.

Also, I prefer hanging a carabiner from the paracord between two upper loops instead of pulling the carabiner through a loop itself. This allows the carabiner more room to fall into a natural position when it's holding onto something outside the bag, like a pouch. Of course depending on the object, it could also allow the carabiner to move around too much, but I haven't had a problem, especially if I also use gatekeeper straps or the bungee to hold things down (the clipping is for added security).

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K9TB View Post
    If I don't come up with a good use for those upper loops, they are going to bug me.
    Sorry to hear that the UMP is no longer available. But as you might already know, just two suggestions how you can still make use of the upper loops: The Side Effect can be used as a substitute for the UMP as described here:

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...ht=#post147594

I did this for quite a while before I ordered my UMP. Furthermore, I also find the GateKeeper Straps for the Smart Alec helpful to fix things on the top (e.g. bike helmet, shoes, etc.).

If I'll find a good story to explain to my partner why I need a second Smart Alec I'll order immediately...
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast