Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Founders Briefcase No More?

https://twitter.com/tombihn/status/930846871974801408

Founders Briefcase No More?-2017-11-18-10-48-07-0600-jpg

So, it's being replaced by a new design. I'm kind of excited about what might come, since I never did quite like any of the Tom Bihn briefcases. I ended up getting one from Waterfield, which I love, but you know... I'm kind of a bag nerd.

What I like about the Founders Briefcase is that it didn't require a laptop cache. I think building it into the bag is a smarter approach that wastes less space and is easier to use. Personally, I don't care about a TSA-friendly bag; that only works in the US anyway and half the time the agents make you remove it regardless of what you do. I've also never found removing my laptop to be any more or less cumbersome than removing the cache my laptop is in. It's the same amount of effort, IMO.

What I didn't like about the Founders Briefcase was the organization. It seemed design to fit a lot of belt clip stuff, which I don't have.

The Cadet I tried out, but my phone wouldn't fit in its phone pocket, there was no place for big headphones, and the look wasn't quite right for me.

So... anyway. I'm excited to see the new design, though I was really on the fence for sometime about the existing TB briefcases. Or as I call them, Cases Brief.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @bouncing,

Darcy posted about the Founder's Briefcase 4 days ago in the sticky thread for Recently Retired and Soon-To-Be Retired Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    11/14/2017 Update
    The "Pasta Spotting" Edition or, "When Tom was stopped in public by someone who told him they knew him -- not from bags, but from his Backcountry Pasta video and they make his pasta all of the time and it's really good (true story)." Edition.

The Founder's Briefcase Is Retiring
    This was a tough call. Both Tom and Darcy carry Founder's Briefcases as their work EDCs. Tom's been working on a couple of new briefcase designs and, though there's no ETA on when those will be available, it's time for us to start making room for their arrival. Once the existing Founder's Briefcases sell out, they'll be gone for good.

Founder's Briefcase Wedge Has Retired
    The Founder's Briefcase wedge has been retired. It's out of stock and no more will be made.
    HTH

moriond

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, right you are @Moriond. Missed those listed.

Anyway, I'm excited to see what comes next.

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @bouncing.
    I didn't noticed the new announcement.

I always would like to try Founder's Briefcase. Hope there is one around when I am there in Feb to have a look. It is such an interesting briefcase.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sad to see the Founder's Briefcase retire. There is something about it, perhaps the earthy coyote trim and zippers, the clamshell design, the simple grab handles -- that I find soothing. In an otherwise fast moving world, the Founder's Briefcase helps me to slow down, at least in my head. Even though it helps me carry my technology, it doesn't feel like a piece of technical wear.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I needed a briefcase it would be on my list.
    I now work from home and when I do need to go somewhere my company is totally casual so a backpack is it.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a huge backpack guy. Even on my Aeronaut, I use it as a shoulder bag and almost never as a backpack.

For me the ideal bag would be both a "day bag" as a tourist and a "briefcase" as a professional. The Pilot totally fits the bill, but alas, it won't fit my laptop. Also, straight up nylon isn't quite as professional as I'd prefer.

NYC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I started using TB bags, I also disliked the cache system. However after a recent trip with a Tri-Star it finally clicked. I just removed the Cache from my Daylight Briefcase and put it inside the middle compartment of the TS. Later in another trip I've just removed the cache entirely. What makes the Cache so powerful is the extensibility and modularity it provides. Nothing can beat this. I just love it.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatih View Post
    When I started using TB bags, I also disliked the cache system. However after a recent trip with a Tri-Star it finally clicked. I just removed the Cache from my Daylight Briefcase and put it inside the middle compartment of the TS. Later in another trip I've just removed the cache entirely. What makes the Cache so powerful is the extensibility and modularity it provides. Nothing can beat this. I just love it.
    I agree. Definitely extensible and modular. It especially makes something like the Tristar interesting because if you aren't packing a laptop, there's no lost space or weight to the padding you aren't using. To me, this is definitely an advantage Tom Bihn's cache design has over, say, a Tortuga or a Minaal. With the Tortuga and Minaal bags, the padded laptop sleeves are there whether you want them or not.

But the design falls short for bags that always have a laptop in them. If I'm using a bag, every single day, for carrying a laptop from Point A to Point B, I want a built-in compartment, not a removeable cache. It's just easier.

Different folks have different needs. I really think Tom Bihn understands that and that's why, for example, the Founders Briefcase has a built-in laptop sleeve. I'm hoping for a new bag with a similar design, but with a Pilot-style design...

EDIT: Oh, something else that I really like about the Tristar: your laptop is between your clothes. It's really a clever design.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming next?

Any updates on what the replacement is going to be or when it might be ready?

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím rather fond of my FB, itís a damned fine bag. Smart for the office, but proper practical at the same time! Mind you, Iíve never used my wedge. It would have been better if it were semi rigid. As it is, it seemed to want to fall in to the Ďhingeí area with the contents getting crushed.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thatís just reminded me, I bought a makerís bag at the same time, but itís never, ever been used! I thought Iíd use the FB first and then swap it over after a few weeks... that was almost a year ago! The FB was that good that I didnít want to stop using it.