Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Medium Cafe Bag - number of O-rings?

How many O-rings are in the main compartment of the current medium café bag? In the description it says 2, but previous versions have 3. If I get a new one, I'd want the 3 (I have a key ring on one, and two pouches hooked to each of the others).

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

My deep blue MCB - produced when 525 Ballistic was introduced this summer has 3 O-Rings in the main compartment and 1 in the zippered compartment. Looking at the description on the TB page, the description says 2 O-Rings in the main compartment but the Specs section on the right side says 3 O-Rings in the main compartment.
    But, there is definitely 3 O-Rings in the main compartment in my MCB made this year.

Emailing / calling customer service will doubly confirm things as well.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tpnl is correct -- the current Medium Cafe Bag has four total O-rings. We've updated the Medium Cafe Bag description accordingly.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the medium cafe bag have any kind of a built in organizer for pens, cards, flashlight, knife, and the like? No, I don't want the optional $ Freudian Slip. Also, why the enormous buckle? Looks big enough to secure an 80 lb backpack. A much smaller, lighter buckle or something easier to operate would seem more appropriate.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the interior setup of the MCB is like the SCB, it has at least three pen pockets and a larger pocket that is appropriate for 3x5 cards or a large smartphone.

ETA: Looks like the MCB has two larger pockets and only two pen pockets, according to the description on the product page.
    Last edited by Ovis Obscura; 12-21-2017 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Correction of facts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    Does the medium cafe bag have any kind of a built in organizer for pens, cards, flashlight, knife, and the like? No, I don't want the optional $ Freudian Slip. Also, why the enormous buckle? Looks big enough to secure an 80 lb backpack. A much smaller, lighter buckle or something easier to operate would seem more appropriate.
    I actually find the buckle on my MCB easier to operate one handed than the smaller one on my SCB. There are 2 pen pockets and a couple of larger pockets for phone and/or wallet in the MCB (front wall)
    List under construction ....

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Medium Cafe Bag originally had a smaller (1”) buckle, but older folks and others without a lot of hand strength asked us to replace it with the larger (1-1/2”) buckle. It’s perhaps counter intuitive, but for most people the larger buckle is actually easier to squeeze than the smaller one, as the larger prongs tend to have a softer action as well as being a bigger, easier target (as in, doesn't require as dexterous a grab.)

In regards to the suitability of a larger buckle to a heavier bag: it’s maybe even more counter intuitive that though wider webbing (strap material) is stronger than narrower webbing, wider buckles tend to be weaker than narrower buckles, as it is the width (span) of the buckle that is most apt to fail (typically from being crushed.)

You can see the built-in organizational pockets of the Medium Cafe Bag up-close in this video starting at about 1:48:

Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Ovis, Daisy, and Darcy for answering my questions clearly and directly. Very helpful!

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this thread on the medium cafe bag was already in existence, I decided to jump in with a altered version of an earlier question.

I don't own one (yet), but looking carefully at it. What I don't get: if you acquire a Freudian Slip ("slip") to put in a med Cafe Bag ("cafe"), and you stuff the slip with things, then doesn't it use up most of the space in the main compartment of the cafe? If so, aren't you better off to not put a slip in the cafe?

Or put another way, why do people put a slip in the cafe bag?

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because they're looking to organize a bunch of things in their bag that might normally all just pile up in the bottom without a Slip.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you have multiple cafe bags in different colors, it's a quick and easy way of transferring all your stuff from one bag to another.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't own one (yet), but looking carefully at it. What I don't get: if you acquire a Freudian Slip ("slip") to put in a med Cafe Bag ("cafe"), and you stuff the slip with things, then doesn't it use up most of the space in the main compartment of the cafe? If so, aren't you better off to not put a slip in the cafe?

A number of people use the Cafe Bag Freudian slips as general organizers for other bags -- especially the Medium Cafe Bag FS, which has been used in the Daylight Backpack tiered pockets, the Luminary, the Maker's Bag, and the Swift, as well as some retired bags like the Ego and the Imago -- so that this size of Cafe Bag Freudian Slip tends to sell out faster. The FS is an easy and organized way to transfer items between different bags.

For people who also use this Freudian Slip in the. Cafe Bag, there can be additional reasons, such as providing more structure for the 400d Halcyon Cafe Bags they might use either because the Cordura options were pet hair magnets or more easily abraded delicate wool fabrics, or because the Halcyon matches their larger travel bags, where weight is a factor in material choice.

Then there are some people who feel that the value from the extra degree of organization and accessory access outweighs the space used by the FS -- either by having a phone more easily to hand from a top pocket, or perhaps because they use one of the bottom pockets to hold a travel mug upright and spill-free.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have all the sizes of cafe bag Freudian slip but have never actually used them in the bags for which they were designed! The Small I use to organise items needed for microscope work; the Medium I use to organise my items for college in whatever bag I'm taking that day; and the Large to keep water bottles upright in the Daylight Backpack.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk