Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse internal frame inside Smart Alec?

Hey all. Very excited about the internal frame sheet which is newly available for the synapses.

Appreciate the smart Alec is being discontinued and so no point making a frame sheet for it, but I’m wondering if it could be used in the SA?

This could be the very thing looking for to make my SA more of an ‘outdoor bag’.

Thanks

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very interesting question! Would be a great addition to the SA. The dimensions of the SA in terms of heighth and width are a bit smaller than that of the Synapse 25. Maybe one of the TB crew can answer that question?
    Last edited by bartleby; 11-22-2017 at 10:29 AM.
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This can not work because the back of the Synapse 25 is longer than the SA so your only option would be the Synapse 19 backpannle which would be too short.

Here is an attempt to show the difference between the top when the bottoms are lined up:

See how the coyote shoulder straps go on after the black have ended?

HTH
    Ilkyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Robw, I, too, was hoping that the new internal frame would be able to fit inside the SA. However, I've been using a sheet of Kydex thermoplastic I cut down to fit inside the SA for some time and it's been working relatively well for me. The plastic is light but rigid enough to effectively transfer weight to hips with the padded hip belt. The sheet size I got was 12" x 24", 0.118" thickness, though I now wonder whether I could have gone with something even thinner, like 0.093". I didn't have access to a band saw or any sort of power tools to cut it, so I wound up using a craft knife and scored lines into the sheet, then used my weight and a curb to snap off the pieces.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robw, I think Ilkyway is right that the Synapse 19 internal frame will be too short for a Smart Alex, but I'm going to try it out this weekend anyway just as soon as I have the motivation to finish unpacking from this week's work conferences. I know the rail loops at the top align perfectly between the S19 and the SA, so it should just be a matter of how much the height is off.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post
    Robw, I think Ilkyway is right that the Synapse 19 internal frame will be too short for a Smart Alex, but I'm going to try it out this weekend anyway just as soon as I have the motivation to finish unpacking from this week's work conferences. I know the rail loops at the top align perfectly between the S19 and the SA, so it should just be a matter of how much the height is off.
    I think the problem is also with how well the width of the frame accommodates the Smart Alec. And the Synapse 19 internal frame also stops nearly 2" from the bottom of the Smart Alec.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just added some pictures of how both the Synapse 25 frame and the Synapse 19 frame look inside the Smart Alec in the Guides Edition Synapse 25 and its two siblings thread.

There's an additional picture and more text discussion in my post (#20) in that thread, but here are the two most relevant pictures:

Top picture shows the S25 frame pushed down as far as possible to the bottom of the Smart Alec. There's no room to hook the frame into the webbing loops. In fact, you can't easily see where the webbing loops should attach to the frame, because the black attachment part that normally gets pulled up (see second picture with S19 frame mounted) shows up against the black backing of the frame -- just so you can see where the zipper teeth lie. The frame is not exactly centered, so that you can use the black Annex clip on the left to judge the position of the S25 frame in comparison with the S19 frame.

The S19 frame is pulled out to maximum extent, and there is still about 2" between the bottom of the frame and the bottom of the bag. You can also see that the S19 frame is narrower than the S25 frame, and that both of them are not as wide as the rectangular back of the Smart Alec.

HTH

moriond