Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poron handles on totes driving me crazy

I've had a large shop bag for 2 years. I love the size, the sturdiness, being waterproof, the 2 pockets, the colour (mine is Island, love the blue), the white lines, and the poron handles for holding in my hands.

BUT, I like to carry my totes on my shoulder and these handles just drive me crazy. They tend to slip down the shoulder. Is this a common thing or I just have slopey shoulders? It's the reason my hubby asked me to sell it.

I bought a Swift recently (original black halcyon), only to realise it has the same handles. Argh.

So even though I love Mars Red on the new Pop Tote, I'm staying away from it due to the handles.

Anyone else has these problems? Or is there a way to resolve this?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had that problem with my TB shop bag more than any other type of tote, but the shape & slope of your shoulders obviously has a big impact on how it works.
    The nylon is slippery, so it is going to slide... you could make a wrap of another tackier material to put around the handles (suede or similar) or look for the wraps that go around suitcase handles - if they're the right size, that might help.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it drives you crazy, maybe you could give it away? I gave one to my mom and she loves it!
    Some bags don’t work for some people. It could be the material of the handles doesn’t play well with your clothing or body topography. The thing that stands out to me is that it frustrates you and releasing it might make you feel better.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All handles on all tote bags, flat canvas, leather, poron handles, they all slip off my shoulder. Tote bags as a design, just are not shoulder bags. They're too wide/deep. If I wrap my hand around the front two parts of the handles while it's on my shoulder, I can kind of keep it there, but I never plan on walking around all day with it that way. Just to the car, or into the house or office. Otherwise it's a handcarry only.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have this problem with my shop bags, but the trick I learned from others on here is to put the outer strap over the inner strap when carrying it on my shoulder - so the poron handle on the inner (closer to your body) side stops the handle on the outer side from sliding off. Hope that makes sense! I still prefer crossbody carry for longer distances, but this has worked out reasonably fine even when walking two miles home from the farmer's market with a full bag. Everyone's different, but it's worth a try!

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I pass one handle through the other on the Shop Bag to make just one strap for the shoulder....hope that makes sense! That way it keeps the bag "together" and one strap seems to sit better, depending on the load of course.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As ClaireJ and Ilkyway stated, the key to keep the TB Poron handles on, is to place the inner handle (the one closest to the body) in the little valley/down slope of the shoulder (this is usually where the bras strap place itself) then place the outer handle on top and slightly closer to the neck.

When wearing clothing made of slippery fabric found on wind breakers, rain jackets and winter puffy jackets, the likeliness of the strap not staying on, is greater, especially if one has tiny shoulders.

The technique was pictured on a post by bchaplin, I think. Moriond, would you mind finding the picture?

Moriond, our Mods with the greatest knowledge of the board and its history.
    Last edited by backpack; 11-25-2017 at 12:50 AM.

Earth!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm another one that always has this problem, no matter the type of handles, PORON, canvas, you name it. One factor that influences how much they slip (at least for me) is how full the bag is. If it's heavy, then the handles are stretched, kind of snugged into place, and they tend not to fall off. If the bag is really light, nearly empty, then the handles tend to slip more because they have more "wiggle room." For that reason, I try to gauge what I'll be carrying and grab a bag that's only a bit larger than that.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also do the put one handle over the other handle on my shoulder thing. Putting the handles side by side, the outside one will always slip off. Loop them over each other and then on the shoulder, and the bag stays closed and stays put better, but I still have to wrap my hand around the handles in the front to keep it on my shoulder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone.

Going to try the outer handle over the inner handle trick. Hopefully that makes things better. With the poron handle, definitely less slippery when the load is heavier. Which is what I really love using the LSB for.

Mars Red Pop Tote.....

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this brought up a point for me. Any short people who have tried the Pop Tote: If it's hand-held (ie, with the hand down, gripping the Poron handles), does it clear the ground? My Shop Bags just do, and that's important to me. I switch off carrying bags by the handle vs the shoulder, almost unconsciously.

And @backpack, that's so funny, because I can't remember this picture, but I bet you're right.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 5'7" and sometimes my large shop bag will bump the ground if I am not careful. I do sometimes wonder if I have long monkey arms though, especially when trying on women's jackets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 5'1". Holding the LSB while wearing flats. Cleared the ground with sufficient gap.

Arizona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    So this brought up a point for me. Any short people who have tried the Pop Tote: If it's hand-held (ie, with the hand down, gripping the Poron handles), does it clear the ground? My Shop Bags just do, and that's important to me. I switch off carrying bags by the handle vs the shoulder, almost unconsciously.

And @backpack, that's so funny, because I can't remember this picture, but I bet you're right.
    Im 52 - While barefoot, holding the Pop Tote the way you described I have at least 4 of clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk