Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    austin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

smallest backpack for a 13" MBP?

i recently downsized from a 15" macbook pro to a 13" version, and i'm really liking the added flexibility it's giving me (not to mention the lighter carry). i also recently toyed with a smaller EDC bag (the pilot) as a result of the laptop switch, but i think i *really* prefer a backpack for EDC.

am i correct that the smallest backpack i could get away with for a 13" macbook pro is the synapse 19? just want to make sure i'm not missing something important!

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you count the Luminary (smaller - up to 12" MBP recommended) or a DLBP (thinner) or other PCBP - A30, A45 or TS/WS versions (just webbing backpack straps), the S19 is your smallest option to hold a 13" MBP. As far as I know, the S19 is the smallest option if you want the built in cache with rails functionality.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 11-28-2017 at 05:34 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Chattanooga, TN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the 19 would be the smallest. I carried mine in my 25 to have some extra space.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @bluedawg,

If you have the 2016 or 2017 touch bar model of the 13" Retina MacBook Pro, you may be able to use the Luminary (even though they recommend it for up to 12" MacBook max). But, as I recall, don't you have one of the original production batch Synapse models to try this on (even though it doesn't have the webbing loops for the cache with rails)?

However, for overall flexability, I'd go with the Synapse 19. There are lots of new color options with the 525d Ballistic Nylon fabric added to the bunch.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Stowaway also works

Forum Member
    austin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoa, moriond, that is a fantastic memory you have there!

yes, i do have an original synapse, so it doesn't have the webbing loops for the cache with rails... i've been squeezing a 15" MBP into that synapse for the past bazillion years (against medical advice, ha ha), but now that i've downsized to a 13" MPB (and yep, i have the new touch bar model), i've been wondering about also downsizing from the synapse. i know i want a smaller cache at least, ha!

i got a smaller cache when i bought the pilot, and when i use that one in the synapse i have a LOT of extra room (that i don't necessarily need for an EDC). i'm very curious about the possibility of using a luminary with a cache (even if not on rails)... but i also like the idea of treating myself to a new synapse. heh.

has anyone actually used the luminary to house a 13" MBP in a cache? is it doable, or kind of a fight?
    Last edited by bluedawg; 11-30-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedawg View Post

has anyone actually used the luminary to house a 13" MBP in a cache? is it doable, or kind of a fight?
    There are some earlier pictures on threads dealing with the Luminary. But here's a quick set of pictures (not great, I'm afraid; I was pressed for time):

smallest backpack for a 13" MBP?-img_3544-jpg

The top one shows the 13" rMBP 2017 touch bar model in the Luminary by itself

smallest backpack for a 13" MBP?-img_3549-jpg

This one shows the same 13" rMBP 2017 inside its cache in the Luminary. (It's hard to hold down all the pieces at once when I have to get out the door, and the lighting isn't great). This model is about 0.3" shorted than the earlier model 13" rMBP (for which I uploaded pictures). It really does clear the top of the Luminary, in my estimation. But you might want more additional carrying space, such as you would get in the Synapse 19.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    austin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you so much, moriond, that is a huge help! i've been searching but not doing a good job coming up with anything -- thanks for the heads up and also for the new pictures!

when i go to campus i often take my MBP but not always; i'd love a smaller backpack for days when i'm traveling light, but i'd love it even more if it was flexible enough to do both. thanks again, i think i'll give the luminary a shot!
    Last edited by bluedawg; 12-02-2017 at 02:28 PM.