Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, ok -- thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Actually I see quite a few Id's on ebay, but only one Ego. Dimension-wise, I don't need a high-capacity bag; just enough for a laptop and a sweater, charger, etc.

Wink I'll see if I can snag one next time I'm in the states. Since I'm traveling, buying stuff on eBay is complicated.

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    +1 for @terayon's suggestion for an Ego. It will hold a lot and has a less briefcase / more messenger bag vibe.

Out in left field - what about a Parental Unit? I have been trying this out for work and it seems to blend in well for both work and casual shopping. I think its style does not scream out laptop bag (or look too flashy - more the TB sharp looking bag- or dorky) and has room for quite a few things in both the front and back pockets as well are the main compartment. Bonus - everything zips up with YKK zippers and there are 2 convenient front pockets that fit a big phone easily. It does fit a MBP. I do not have one but I have a hard case for one (15"x10") and it fits just between the zippers.

On the Pilot option, I would suggest a Halycon version as other members have found the it stretches more to accommodate sizes or th 15" MBP. Also, FWIW, the same 15"x10" MBP case I have does just fit into my Ballistic Pilot and there is still room to fit a light jacket in the main compartment. I would say your slightly smaller rMBP would fit even better (in a cache or other similar case) - but YMMV.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Nice! The Parental Unit does seem to have a lot of organization. I don't have kids, but who says it's only ever a diaper bag? Wink

So your case sounds like it must be pretty small, as the mac itself is ~14.2x10.5 inches. What case did you put on it? And in terms of stretching the halcyon, is it damaging the fabric you think?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    While I concur with the suggestion of the Ego for your 15" laptop, please be aware that the suggested bags are roughly twice the volume of the Pilot, whose volume is: 13 liters (800 cu. in.)

Looking through the list of recently retired TB Messenger Bags capable of carrying your 15" laptop, there are (in order of volume):

Volume: 20.9 liters (1275 cu. in.) ID ID - Midsized laptop messenger bag

Volume: 23 liters (1400 cu. in.) Ego

Volume: 27 liters (1680 cu. in.) Super Egp

Any of these would be fine, though the Super Ego is really pretty large to carry.

There are many more Super Egos showing up on eBay than the Ego, which would probably be a better bet for you.

HTH

moriond
    Right, the Super is quite large but are going for a song on eBay. I recently bought a Super E I didn't need that was advertised as "very worn and damaged." The bag had a broken clip but had an Absolute strap, a couple of key straps and a bag of paperclips. The inside was filthy - it looked like someone had used the inside as a holder for pencil shavings and then rubbed them all over the wasabi lining.

Why am I saying this? After a few hours of scrubbing, spot treatments with various cleaners and a dunk in the washtub, the bag, aside from a bit of a brown spot on the zipper, looks like new. I would have never tried such severe methods with one of my bags but I figured that nothing could make the stains worse.

This, along with the camera insert, is my new camera bag.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    Nice! The Parental Unit does seem to have a lot of organization. I don't have kids, but who says it's only ever a diaper bag? Wink

So your case sounds like it must be pretty small, as the mac itself is ~14.2x10.5 inches. What case did you put on it? And in terms of stretching the halcyon, is it damaging the fabric you think?
    Is the 15" MBP 10.5" deep? That is the depth for the discontinued 17" version and not the 15" MBP from what I read on the Apple website. I see the 2012 MBP as being 9.7" wide and all later versions are equal or less than that (your 15" rMBP 2014 is 14.13 x 9.73").

The case I tried is the Booq Vyper hardcase for 15" MBP - so made for the 15" MBP. Either way, as reference, something 15"x10" will fit in the Parental Unit (current 2017 version - do not have an earlier version to try) and allow it to be zipped up. If the laptop sleeve that one uses is about that size, the Parental Unit should house it.

For your question on any damage if stretching the Halycon, perhaps stretching is the wrong description. The Halycon is less stiff so can "give" more and mold more around an object than Ballistic Nylon can - like the difference between cardboard (the "ballistic nylon") and paper (the "Halycon") - you can fit more in a paper bag than a cardboard box of the same size. Neither Halycon or Ballistic Nylon "stretches" much so if you put something in that surpasses the fabric's limit, you will be straining the stitching that holds the bag together - not recommended but TB is known for their workmanship and strength of sewing construction. In short, YMMV. From my experience, you can get away with stretching for a short period but I am uncomfortable doing it for anything more than an emergency.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 12-09-2017 at 09:32 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2