Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could leave one of the side pockets unzipped.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your feedback everyone! A vertical phone case to strap to the backpack straps is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that! A side effect would be too much for just the phone, so a dedicated phone case sounds better. I don't like velcro but I will look around for something similar before I start poking holes in the synapse lol.

Leaving one of the side pockets of the synapse open doesn't solve my problem for quick access. I can't reach back like that, it's a very awkward angle especially if the bag is full.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be a good option, it's got both velcro and zip pouches. I'm not sure of the dimensions though, gotta make sure the big phones will fit.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272461742172

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbc3585 View Post
    you could try something like this Timbuk2 phone case https://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-3-Way.../dp/B00UC4JXB6 I used one on my S19 and it worked pretty well, only problem is I discovered I absolutely cannot deal with how loud velcro is (thank god TB doesn't use any). If that isn't a problem for you though it might be a good option. And if anyone knows of any cases that are magnetised or elasticised or something instead, hit me up!
    It's not like you have to take it off and put it on on a daily basis. I'm not a fan of velcro, but it's probably the easiest way to attach something temporarily.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    It's not like you have to take it off and put it on on a daily basis. I'm not a fan of velcro, but it's probably the easiest way to attach something temporarily.

The closure for the phone compartment is Velcro, so every time you want to get your phone out, cccchhhhhhhrrriiiiiiiiiippp!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbc3585 View Post
    you could try something like this Timbuk2 phone case https://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-3-Way.../dp/B00UC4JXB6 I used one on my S19 and it worked pretty well, only problem is I discovered I absolutely cannot deal with how loud velcro is (thank god TB doesn't use any). If that isn't a problem for you though it might be a good option. And if anyone knows of any cases that are magnetised or elasticised or something instead, hit me up!
    Oh I used to have one of these about 15 years ago, yes that is just the sort of thing I am after. I only have an iPhone SE, so it is small. Agreed about the Velcro though.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    The closure for the phone compartment is Velcro, so every time you want to get your phone out, cccchhhhhhhrrriiiiiiiiiippp!
    Yikes!

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atrandum View Post
    Thanks for your feedback everyone! A vertical phone case to strap to the backpack straps is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that! A side effect would be too much for just the phone, so a dedicated phone case sounds better. I don't like velcro but I will look around for something similar before I start poking holes in the synapse lol.

Leaving one of the side pockets of the synapse open doesn't solve my problem for quick access. I can't reach back like that, it's a very awkward angle especially if the bag is full.
    Yeah. Sometimes I like backpacks with hip straps not just because of the support, but also, the added pockets often found on hip straps.

You could definitely strap stuff to your shoulder straps, though one thing to consider is that when you do that, in my experience, it creates sort of an uneven carrying situation and also results in stuff bouncing around and hitting you in the ribs as you walk. Food for thought

Your dilemma is basically why I usually prefer shoulder bags to backpacks. I'm a man and thus my clothes are pocketed, but I find that I only really want my phone in my pocket. If I'm carrying a bag anyway, I might as well use it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Velcro.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I love Velcro.
    I knit, so I do not. No faster way to ruin something that took you 6 months to make than to have some errant piece of the hook side snag it.

Toronto, Canada (GMT+5)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidiki View Post
    I am on the fence about the Synapse and, honestly, have been so for quite a while. Sometimes I relish the overabundance of pockets; options are nice. Sometimes though I feel like on any given day 1-4 of them would go entirely unused and I think that is closer to what my reality with the bag would be like.

Any Synapse owners run the bag with most of the pockets empty? if you fill them all.....what do you put in there? Is my hang up more so that I am not super-hyper-ultra-organized and thus can't envision a use for so many pockets?

Tips and tricks welcome.
    If it helps, I look at the pockets / no pockets benefits at a slightly different angle (apologies if another forum member has already posted on what I wrote below - so many good posts!)

My goal for the bag I carry is to know where everything is without having to think too much - ie add some reliability into your life with stuff (which is something we all need in life -right?). This helps to make sure I can access things in a timely fashion - especially in an emergency or where I need to "feel" for the items I need in the dark. Core to the success of this is consistency and repetition - ie. always put the same thing in the same spot the same way (consistency) and use it that way all the time (repetition) - note - also make it easy to do.

Pockets are just one of a few strategies I use to accomplish this. I also use pouches on O-Rings and color. Optionally, people can use pouch size, pouch type and location in a pocket / compartment, etc. - just not too complex - keep it simple, stupid as they say.

For the S25, I do not fill up the pockets. That just makes it harder for me to get at things. But the things I put in there are always there and in the same spot/configuration - e.g.
    Middle Front Pocket - phone accessories in pouch, transit pass and gum;
    Middle Front Pocket - Water bottle/Umbrella;
    Bottom Pocket - Lunch and a small emergency kit;
    Left Pocket - anything non-IT related- Pens / screw driver in slots and survival items (e.g. lighter, flashlight, multitool) in a Green pouch attached to an O-Ring;
    Right Pocket - IT / Job related items - laptop power supply in larger TB pouch attached to O-Ring with color coordinated strap, adapters/battery charger in a TB Red pouch attached to the O-Ring with color coordinated strap ... Note - the items I put in the right pocket are also items I need quick access to - because I can just swing the S25 around on my right shoulder and access the pocket easiest (as it is the 'top' pocket when the S25 is sideways on my right shoulder. Of course, if you were left side oriented, just reverse the pockets.

Here is an example of one of my earlier S25 EDC (I carry a lot less now):

Hopefully that provides a picture of what I am talking about. I can do the same in a Smart Alec because it does have quite a few pockets - just not as big or may impinge on the main compartment capacity. For examples, the left and right pocket on the S25 goes into the SA top flap 2 compartments. The S25 front middle pocket items I add to the right side SA pocket and the water bottle goes in the SA left pocket. The Brain Bag is even easier as, to my mind, it has a similar pocket configuration except for no bottom pocket, external water bottle holder and a second main compartment.

Now, this might seem a little overboard / overkill way of thinking of things - It is but everyone has their level of organization - IMHO, you really get benefit when you can access what you need quickly without needing to think about it waste time searching for it. I think of it like how an ambulance has everything organized in the truck but ALWAYS in the same spot that the Paramedics know without thinking where it is - very important when saving a life.

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 12-05-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I used to go through bag size sicles: my bag would be full of EVERYTHING I ever might need and than I would realise it is too full. So I took a very small bag and only filled it with the essentials. Blissfull lightness! But than I would be out and about not hacing a waterbottle... so gruadually I would go through bigger and bigger bags untill I was back at where I started.
    Yeah. I suffer from this most in terms of day trips. You mentioned water? Most recently I took one in Mexico City to the Teotihuacan pyramids. They're super-amazing. Also, they're in a rather high altitude desert. Here's a picture I took, while quite thirsty:

All those pockets!! The Synapse 25: To buy or not to buy.-pano_20171124_125846-copy-jpg

Now, in urban/travel situations, I can't remember the last time I wanted water and couldn't get it. This was a guided tour and tour guides (in my experience) always have bottled water for their guests. It was at a tourist destination, where bottled water is always available for sale, too, right?

Wrong. Our tour guide did not warn us, at our tequila tasting(!) before entering the park, that bottled water was not available at all in the Teotihuacan national park. He did not have any, the park had none, our friends had none. My wife and I were in the high altitude desert, not a cloud in the sky, for over an hour having not had a sip of water since breakfast. We had to march out of the park where there were food vendors and do it.

Admittedly, not the worst situation, but that morning I thought to myself, "should I bring a bottle of water? Nah! Water is everywhere in a city/tourist area."

AAAANYWAY.

Yeah. I don't have a ton of organizer pouches and keystraps. Just the two: one for daily essentials, one for work. But different people have different systems.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    Here is an example of one of my earlier S25 EDC (I carry a lot less now):

Wow, @tpnl, in a friendly way: that looks utterly bewildering.

I just use one pouch with several pockets:

Attachment 19492

In that little blue pouch, I have a phone charger, mints, bandaids and medications, pens, Tide pen for spills, a bottle opener multitool, etc. Basically all the essentials. And all in one place.

I guess I do like little pockets, but only in something that's removeable from my briefcase/messenger bag/whatever.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am similar to @tpnl in pocket usage. My S25 got a lot of use this summer on our vacation.

Small front pocket: Dramamine and tissues and any other super essential item

Water bottle pocket: one or two water bottles

Left: sun creams for me and kids

Right: sunglasses and hats for me and kids

Bottom: travel baby carrier or Side Kick depending on the day and mode of transport.

Main compartment: snacks and diapers in two 3DOCs clipped to the rail loops, rain jackets for all (we vacation in Scotland and needed them every day but only for part of each day)

I can say all this even though it's December because nothing ever changed position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    Yeah. Sometimes I like backpacks with hip straps not just because of the support, but also, the added pockets often found on hip straps.

You could definitely strap stuff to your shoulder straps, though one thing to consider is that when you do that, in my experience, it creates sort of an uneven carrying situation and also results in stuff bouncing around and hitting you in the ribs as you walk. Food for thought

Your dilemma is basically why I usually prefer shoulder bags to backpacks. I'm a man and thus my clothes are pocketed, but I find that I only really want my phone in my pocket. If I'm carrying a bag anyway, I might as well use it.
    Thanks for pointing that out, Ive never had anything strapped to the backpack straps before so am wondering what the usage would be like. I'll keep thinking!

I do like shoulder bags and have the co-pilot but I have back problems and I've come to the conclusion that I can't use shoulder bags All those pockets!! The Synapse 25: To buy or not to buy.️ backpacks are really best for my back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast