Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Wish List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Return of Solar, Zest, Fjord, Sitka, and a new pink interior!

A bigger Luminary.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A larger version of the Pilot - sized comparable to the discontinued Zephyr - to accommodate a 15" laptop while retaining the uber-functional water bottle (thermos) and side pockets. Please and thank you!

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I would love webbing loops on the Cubelet and the Travel
    Cubelet so I can attach gatekeeper waist straps onto them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes! I could use one as an LMP!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    My wish for 2018 is that Tom or Darcy would give us a sense of the feasibility of our 2018 wishes. I think sometimes we see a forum suggestion and it becomes a possible reality in our mind, making it hard to decide on a current TB that would work for our needs. We start focusing on the “future” bag. In my case, I’ve spent the last week debating about whether a bigger Luminary or a hybrid S22 will work for my next trip. How much easier it would be if Tom would just strike out the possibility of that perfect S22!

I’m sure they don’t want to let us know exactly what’s on the drawing board but couldn’t they tell us what’s not?

Example: I found it very helpful when @Darcy posted that Tom was not planning on making any more messenger/open flap bags. Or that the Luminary didn’t work in halcyon.
    What you're asking for is reasonable and makes sense. At the same time, I don't think it's something we can consistently offer, and here's a couple of reasons why:

Our design priorities shift based on our own creativity and inspiration, our company goals, or what simply seems to make the most sense to us. For example: Tom may get inspired to work on a new design and remain fixed on that design's development until completion. Or, he may begin a new design, recognize that what it needs is time to develop, and work on it here and there while his focus is shifted to a different new design. It's been the case that Nik has worked on a new design and, when sewing a prototype of that new design on the factory floor, discovered that a new tool or machine could aid the manufacturing of his new design and existing designs -- resulting in the delay of the new design to focus on implementing the improvement that will benefit the entire production process.

That combination of responsiveness to practicalities and respect for the creative process is part (so we think) of the magic recipe that leads to a quality product with superior design. It also makes it more difficult to provide solid answers. We used to share a little more about what was in the works, but that proved (understandably) frustrating when, for example, a bag was finally released several years after its initial estimate.

And while we here at TOM BIHN mostly assume we live in our own world, and no one else pays much attention to what we do, we've been told otherwise and we've seen a couple of our designs copied. Our response to our designs being copied is that we'll just have to innovate faster than we can be copied -- and therefore we don't necessarily want to share our top secret design plans with the whole world. Smilie

All that said... when I do have solid information to share and we think it will help people choose a bag, as in the case with the messenger/open flap bags, I'll post it! As for that Synapse 22... we've discussed an inbetween-in-size Synapse, but aren't yet convinced we'll ever make it a reality. So that's in the "maybe, maybe not" stage.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    What you're asking for is reasonable and makes sense. At the same time, I don't think it's something we can consistently offer, and here's a couple of reasons why:

Our design priorities shift based on our own creativity and inspiration, our company goals, or what simply seems to make the most sense to us. For example: Tom may get inspired to work on a new design and remain fixed on that design's development until completion. Or, he may begin a new design, recognize that what it needs is time to develop, and work on it here and there while his focus is shifted to a different new design. It's been the case that Nik has worked on a new design and, when sewing a prototype of that new design on the factory floor, discovered that a new tool or machine could aid the manufacturing of his new design and existing designs -- resulting in the delay of the new design to focus on implementing the improvement that will benefit the entire production process.

That combination of responsiveness to practicalities and respect for the creative process is part (so we think) of the magic recipe that leads to a quality product with superior design. It also makes it more difficult to provide solid answers. We used to share a little more about what was in the works, but that proved (understandably) frustrating when, for example, a bag was finally released several years after its initial estimate.

And while we here at TOM BIHN mostly assume we live in our own world, and no one else pays much attention to what we do, we've been told otherwise and we've seen a couple of our designs copied. Our response to our designs being copied is that we'll just have to innovate faster than we can be copied -- and therefore we don't necessarily want to share our top secret design plans with the whole world. Smilie

All that said... when I do have solid information to share and we think it will help people choose a bag, as in the case with the messenger/open flap bags, I'll post it! As for that Synapse 22... we've discussed an inbetween-in-size Synapse, but aren't yet convinced we'll ever make it a reality. So that's in the "maybe, maybe not" stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    As for that Synapse 22... we've discussed an inbetween-in-size Synapse, but aren't yet convinced we'll ever make it a reality. So that's in the "maybe, maybe not" stage.
    Just pack less people! (says the biased synapse 19 owner 2018 Wish List)

I think what you do share is great, of course I would like more but it's a bummer people will lift and copy ideas. I respect the need for some secrecy.

BUT I would like to request more blog posts or videos. I enjoy watching them. I really enjoyed the Italy 30 day trip video. I would love to see more detailed profiles of travelers and their bags. Focusing on their load out, travel type/frequency, how they use the bag, bag benefits or short comings.

One day I will make it to the show room but for now I rely on the digital info (plus the forums). There is a lot on YouTube already but the ones you guys put out have great production value. Could even be just photos kind of like what wool and prince does https://woolandprince.com/blogs/field-testers?size=S

And if any of this stuff exists please point me to it!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mel_h View Post
    Pink pink pink pink pink pink pink pink pink pink pink anything pink hot pink soft pink flamingo pink pink any kind of pink
    I like the way you think!!! Wink

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like a larger Travel Cubelet, maybe a little larger than a Sidekick but not as big as a pcsb. Love the vertical orientation. I'd like the minimal organization of the TC, with maybe the addition of a water bottle holder inside (like in the Luminary but with no zipper). Or a smaller pop tote, something to fill that sweet spot between just the essentials and a full EDC of everything I could need for a day out. I see the Pop Tote as a everything I would need for a weekend bag.
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still sort of wish TB made a zip top shop bag that was more like the regular halcyon shop bags, only with a zip top. The PT is almost a bit too engineered for me, but it will have its uses. I don't need it as an everyday carry. I just need a tote bag where things don't fall out.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 12-29-2017 at 05:07 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I still sort of wish TB made a zip top shop bag that was more like the regular halcyon shop bags, only with a zip top. The PT is almost a bit too engineered for me, but it will have its uses. I don't need it as an everyday carry. I just need a tote bag where things don't fall out.
    Yeah, me too.

Forum Member
    The Texas Panhandle
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guide's Edition S19 - particularly in Olive! I love the GES25 and now want the same design in the smaller option.

And as you can see from my signature line - I am badly in need of another bag. Smilie
    Last edited by RichardMcG; 12-29-2017 at 09:33 AM.
    S19 & S19/Island; S25/Island, S25/NW Sky; GE S25 & GE S25/Coyote; S30/Coyote; BB/Canyon; SA/Island, SA/U.V., SA/Wasabi, SA & SA/Steel; A30/Zest; A45/Island, A45/Steel; MCB/Wasabi, MCB & MCB/Canyon.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want them to make more Large Snake Charmers!

South of France
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveller/Hiker looking for the perfect backpack

For my part, I came to Tom Bihn, like many others, on my way to minimalism: I’m trying to live with less, sizing down to the essential. Therefore, when it comes to travelling, I’m looking at 2 things: avoiding checking in luggages (which forces me to pack very little), and having the right bags to fit all my needs.
    For instance, I managed to go for my honey moon to NYC with just a S25 or on long WE with a DLBP, with the feeling that I had exactly the right bags.

This being said, I still havent found my perfect bag yet Smilie The reason being that in my case, I’m a minimalist traveller AND a hiker: I need a bag with which I can also hike. To my great disappointment, the S25 is not good for me for hiking (gets uncomfortable when filled-up - but the internal frame might bring a solution to that - and it gets SWEATY because of that back panel which I personally don’t like). Don’t get me wrong, I still love my S25 and use it every day as my computer bag for work, but for example when I went to NYC, I had my DLBP folded in it and that the one I used all day long when walking through NYC (and it worked GREAT).

Therefore, I got very excited when the Heroes’journey came out, and I would have been ready to pay anything for it if it had been the right bag. Unfortunately for me, it isn’t. For trying to be too many things, it is not what I’m looking for. If I want a day pack, I know I can always put my DLBP or my Side Effect (in Halcyon they weight virtually nothing) in any bags, so I dont need a bag which creates backpack or hand bags by zipping/unzipping everywhere. It my point of view, it also makes the bag look weird.

So my wish for the future:
    a super low profile traveling bag, which fits as cabine luggage in Europe (=A30 in terms of sizing), but with good hiking options (back panel, hip belt, something for the water camel bag, .. like any hiking bags e.g. Deuter, a possibility to put away the straps, to carry a jacket etc…) and all the features that makes TB bags so wonderful (the O-rings, exterior low profile halcyon fabric, …).
    I actually did a 5 months trip in Latin America with a similar bag (Tatonka, german brand, for those from Europe); a type of "suitcase backpack" but super comfortable for multiple days hiking. But it was….50 liters. So I had to check it in when taking a plane. So also not perfect Smilie

By creating the Guide Edition S25, there is a bit of that in mind I think : I like the concept. But the GE color is not super low profile. Maybe a Guide Edition A30 with hiking features but in low profile colors? Smilie Smilie Smilie
    Last edited by melhoune; 12-29-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melhoune View Post
    Therefore, I got very excited when the Heroes’journey came out, and I would have been ready to pay anything for it if it had been the right bag. Unfortunately for me, it isn’t. For trying to be too many things, it is not what I’m looking for. If I want a day pack, I know I can always put my DLBP or my Side Effect (in Halcyon they weight virtually nothing) in any bags, so I dont need a bag which creates backpack or hand bags by zipping/unzipping everywhere. It my point of view, it also makes the bag look weird.

So my wish for the future:
    a super low profile traveling bag, which fits as cabine luggage in Europe (=A30 in terms of sizing), but with good hiking options (back panel, hip belt, something for the water camel bag, .. like any hiking bags e.g. Deuter, a possibility to put away the straps, to carry a jacket etc…) and all the features that makes TB bags so wonderful (the O-rings, exterior low profile halcyon fabric, …).
    YES and YES! This is very close to what I want. A Euro-sized bag with a frame and an attachable hip belt, that is NOT top-loading, with external pockets, ideally one external pocket that fits a Side Kick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Bring back Nordic with white grids.
    2) Don't retire the original black halcyon.
    3) New limited edition halcyon colours
    4) DLBP and DLBC in 525 ballistic colours
    5) OPs and Q-Kits in 525 ballistic colours

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    1) Bring back Nordic with white grids.
    2) Don't retire the original black halcyon.
    3) New limited edition halcyon colours
    4) DLBP and DLBC in 525 ballistic colours
    5) OPs and Q-Kits in 525 ballistic colours
    YES GOD PLEASE TO 1 AND 2 AND 3!!!

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast