1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com
 
Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    130
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    DLBP made out of 525d Ballistic?

    I think I remember reading somewhere that the DLBP will be made out of the new 525d Ballistic Nylon, too. Is this true and if yes, is there already a time frame for when these DLBPs will be made?

    I don't like Cordura at all (I have a MDOP in Cordura that I hate touching) and I am lukewarm about Black and Nordic Halcyon. I love the Original Halcyon and had been thinking of ordering a direct replacement, but I didn't and now I'm not sure if it will be available again.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    61
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the last I heard about it... on September 27...

    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy
    Yes, there is a chance of that. No timeline just yet, though....
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post150091

  3. #3
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    130
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! That's what I read, I just couldn't find the post anymore.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    83
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering, but do you really like the new 525D Baslitic over Codura, that much? I just received the new Guide's S25 and still getting used to it. I am still unsure of which is is more durable as well... lol
    Currently Own:
    Guide's Edition S25 [Black], Large Cafe Bag [Black Halcyon], Brain Bag[Grey/Steel]

    Shared:
    A45 [Nordic Halcyon], PCBP[Fjord Halcyon], Small Shop Bag [Original Black Dyneema]

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    217
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the cordura fabric...IMO it is more flexible without compromising durability. Although I love the alpha violet color, my SE developed something that resembles a pulled thread first time I used it. I have no idea how it happened...it was mostly being carried inside another bag and only over my shoulder briefly. It does not seem to have spread any further, it now is a slightly “fuzzy” spot that is lighter in color. I am still enjoying the SE, but the experience has given me pause as far as getting a larger heavier use bag in that fabric. When the PT came out, I couldn’t resist the alpha violet and also purchased a black one so I will be able to see how the exterior of a larger bag holds up.:-)
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

  6. #6
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    130
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fever39 View Post
    Just wondering, but do you really like the new 525D Baslitic over Codura, that much? I just received the new Guide's S25 and still getting used to it. I am still unsure of which is is more durable as well... lol
    Well I don't quite know until I try... But I know that I don't like Cordura. I'm a very tactile person and it just doesn't feel nice to me. And it seems like a bad idea to put Cordura next to wool clothing (I own quite a few nice wool sweaters). I don't want to ruin my cashmere pullover with my backpack. The ballistic item I have, which is 1050d, feels a lot softer and unlikely to produce snags...

    But anyway, I just saw that the Original Halcyon DLBP went back in stock and ordered a replacement for mine, so I'm happy! Just wanted to ask because I was curious if this might be an option in the future. There's supposed to be an 525d Aubergine fabric, I would totally buy a DLBP in that color!
    Last edited by b1gsky; 12-07-2017 at 10:26 AM.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    340
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    . I love the Original Halcyon and had been thinking of ordering a direct replacement, but I didn't and now I'm not sure if it will be available again.
    Two are available but more are in production. Here's your chance to snap one up.
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting a UV or Iberian Synapse

  8. #8
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    130
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandcache View Post
    I prefer the cordura fabric...IMO it is more flexible without compromising durability. Although I love the alpha violet color, my SE developed something that resembles a pulled thread first time I used it. I have no idea how it happened...it was mostly being carried inside another bag and only over my shoulder briefly. It does not seem to have spread any further, it now is a slightly “fuzzy” spot that is lighter in color. I am still enjoying the SE, but the experience has given me pause as far as getting a larger heavier use bag in that fabric. When the PT came out, I couldn’t resist the alpha violet and also purchased a black one so I will be able to see how the exterior of a larger bag holds up.:-)
    It'll be interesting to see how the fabric will hold up in the long run. I guess Cordura might be more durable, but it's just not an option for me. I love the Original Halcyon but that will retire soon and the 525d might be a good alternative for me when they don't offer Halcyon colors I like...

  9. #9
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    130
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    Two are available but more are in production. Here's your chance to snap one up.
    I already did! And very happy about it. I only realised that I truly wanted a replacement when I thought I wouldn't have another chance.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    340
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay! Glad you got one. I must confess I love my original halcyon DLBP so much that I also got a backup one just in case the unspeakable would happen like theft or loss, because once the original halcyon is gone, it's gone for good. However, I will get another when it's made in the new ballistic colors. Maybe in Mars Red.
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting a UV or Iberian Synapse

  11. #11
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    130
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds sensible to me! I'm not much of a red person, but I really like Aubergine. Or maybe Deep Blue, I've seen some nice pictures of that.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    61
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fever39 View Post
    Just wondering, but do you really like the new 525D Baslitic over Codura, that much? I just received the new Guide's S25 and still getting used to it. I am still unsure of which is is more durable as well... lol
    Come to think of it I don't know if I would prefer the 525 Ballistic over the Cordura either. 1000d Cordura has been a constant companion across many EDC bags for me and I'm very comfortable with its properties.

    However I just imagine the stiffer material of the 525 and the sleeker surface would really fit the DLBP design well, carrying more comfortably on your back and holding a nicer shape...?

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    83
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    Well I don't quite know until I try... But I know that I don't like Cordura. I'm a very tactile person and it just doesn't feel nice to me. And it seems like a bad idea to put Cordura next to wool clothing (I own quite a few nice wool sweaters). I don't want to ruin my cashmere pullover with my backpack. The ballistic item I have, which is 1050d, feels a lot softer and unlikely to produce snags...

    But anyway, I just saw that the Original Halcyon DLBP went back in stock and ordered a replacement for mine, so I'm happy! Just wanted to ask because I was curious if this might be an option in the future. There's supposed to be an 525d Aubergine fabric, I would totally buy a DLBP in that color!
    Just in case... I would like to point out, your experience with Codura is all at 1000D right? Because i do have Codura fabric backpacks but they are not 1000D like the TB one i previously owned. Fabric softens a bit but overall i actually love 1000D Codura.
    Currently Own:
    Guide's Edition S25 [Black], Large Cafe Bag [Black Halcyon], Brain Bag[Grey/Steel]

    Shared:
    A45 [Nordic Halcyon], PCBP[Fjord Halcyon], Small Shop Bag [Original Black Dyneema]

  14. #14
    Forum Member b1gsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    130
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a Tom Bihn Organizer in Cordura (color is called Grey I believe). I think those are made out of 1000d Cordura? I've used it in my DLBP for a while, but I always felt lukewarm about it.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    83
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b1gsky View Post
    It's a Tom Bihn Organizer in Cordura (color is called Grey I believe). I think those are made out of 1000d Cordura? I've used it in my DLBP for a while, but I always felt lukewarm about it.
    hmm. I honestly thought all (most) of the accessories use lighter materials. Only the exterior is 1000D Codura, 525/1050D B. Nylon, 400D Halcyon. I'd double check~ the smaller accessories usually wouldn't use heavier/durable fabric. The Halcyon for accessories are usually 200D and not 400D~
    Currently Own:
    Guide's Edition S25 [Black], Large Cafe Bag [Black Halcyon], Brain Bag[Grey/Steel]

    Shared:
    A45 [Nordic Halcyon], PCBP[Fjord Halcyon], Small Shop Bag [Original Black Dyneema]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •