Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New sizes for OPs?

From the FB page:

“What do *you* carry in your Organizer Pouches? We're thinking of adding a new size or two in 2018, and knowing what you carry will help us come up with those new sizes.”

Thought it would be great to discuss this here on the Forums as well!

For me: Lately I have used my Freudian Slips more and my OP’s less. Perhaps because I have been using tote-style bags more than backpacks. But I would love, and think I would use regularly:

- a size in between Medium and Small, with a clear front - particularly for use as a passport pouch. I have the all-fabric PP but would like to be able to see if my passport is in there at a glance. (This doesn’t exist yet right? Or am I glitching and forgetting this item?) Would also like this size as a Double OP so I can use it as a wallet. The COW is too small for me.

- a large clear-front OP with the type of stiffener (Poron?) used in the FS, so I can transport letter-sized pages without them wrinkling. Alternately, a large OP with a gusset, so I can put my papers in with a clipboard or other backing to keep them wrinkle-free.

- a Micro clear-front in bright colors. I’ve been using my COW for holding earrings when working out... smaller might be even better for this use!
    Last edited by haraya; 12-20-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - A size between Medium and Large. I think there is an OP of similar size that comes with the Hero's Journey if I'm not mistaken, but there is such a huge size difference between Medium and Large.

- A non-Coyote Micro OP.

Also, vertical orientation would be nice as well.

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    - a size in between Medium and Small, with a clear front!
    +1 on this. I have been requesting this on the wishlist thread. There is such a huge difference between the small and medium, and I think a size in between would be so very useful.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One to carry unfolded bills (to use as a wallet). One to carry my utensils (a shorter pencil pouch size). Maybe one to hold sunglasses. I second the micro request. With a clear front, it would be good for coins or earrings.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting this, @haraya and thanks to everyone so far who who has shared their feedback. (I was going to post a thread asking for the same feedback that we asked for in the Facebook post, but had some other things to attend to this morning and am just now back at my laptop.) Keep it coming!
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love an OP similar to the old Nook one: roughly the same size as the medium OP (I can see value in both a little bigger or a little smaller) but with a vertical orientation. I’d like to be able to hang it from the o-rings in my Synapse and Ego and use it like a big zippable pocket pouch. (I love the pocket pouch, BTW - a previous forum gift!)

For me, i’d love to use this for my phone (iPhone 8), folded 8.5x11” pages, my Hobonichi (mine is A6), my keys, and a portable battery pack and charger cable - not all at the same time, to be clear!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, with the 3D cubes and cubelets, I don't use the flatter organizer pouches very often. They are comparatively heavy with respect to the internal volume. But probably, something between medium and large as suggested above by @Aeon would be the most useful size to add. I used to use the medium pouches to carry my A5 notebooks (the thin kind), and they seemed like a tight fit, if I remember correctly. The other size I find very handy is the one created for knitting materials: a square shape. It can fit Starbucks VIA packs and/or vitamins, and I used to use that one a lot. However, the cubelets have kind of supplanted that use case lately, though I still have the pouch. The version for knitting is ballistic and has a clear front, but if it was made out of all Halcyon it would be lighter and thinner.

BTW, I carry those A5 journals a lot, for everything from classes I take to organizing specific areas of my personal life, and lately I've been dedicating specific Side Kicks to certain journals, because they so nicely encapsulate not only the notebook, but pens and other accoutrements I want to store all together. So I haven't been using the pouches much since there is such a wealth of choices for organizing my bits and pieces.

--Beth
    Last edited by bchaplin; 12-20-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second @Sturbridge's idea to use as a wallet.

I use a clear, double, small organizer pouch as a wallet. Paper/bills in the back, and coins in the clear front. I wish the pouch was wider so that US dollar bills would more easily go in/come out. So make a 'currency size'. Wide enough for USD, and tall enough for Euros. Those are the currencies I use most often. Other currency holders, chime in!

I use a separate mini pouch or TB wallet for credit cards. I would like to try a prototype of a double pouch, with a divided clear front pocket. Coins in the left half, and credit cards in the right half. (Bills still go in the opaque fabric back pocket). I think that front half might be too "busy" and not sure if there's enough real estate for both halves. But the advantage would be that I could go back to one wallet, instead of 2 (small with currency and mini with credit cards).

A size to carry 20 pages of 8.5x11 (standard US) paper without folding. This fits in the Large, of course, but there is a lot of extra real estate, and then the Large doesn't comfortably fit in a bag like a full Pilot, whereas 8.5x11 paper does fit. I like a clear front, so that I can see my agenda/ticket/map without removing it from the pouch.

Edited to add: I also would vote to keep the current Medium size. I like that it fits 8.5x11 paper folded. I often carry one in the outside back pocket of the medium Cafe bag or the Pilot.
    Last edited by K9TB; 12-20-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    What's better than o-rings? More o-rings.

Forum Member
    Brooklyn, NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A size just smaller than the Large Double, that holds Letter size paper AND can fit in a DLBC. The Large Double is just a bit too wide (in the shorter dimension - i.e. too tall) for the DLBC. So, an Almost-Large?

I would also buy a smallish pouch that has divisions like the Halcyon Pen roll, in which I could put multiple sets of cuff links and collar-stays. (Relating to the other Jewelry thread!)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for micro OP, other than coyote... is aether an option in this size for a coin pouch?

A Q-kit between mini & small (and it would be cool if they were in the new colors)

I mostly use the mini Q-kit, Cubelets, Travel Cube, and A30 aether cubes for interior organization... I tend to carry more 3D things than flat things

The only other thing I can think of is a dedicated large pouch/zipped or rolled top stuff sack for wet things (like you see for swimsuits, etc.) - waterproof obviously

Boulder, Colorado
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    - A non-Coyote Micro OP.
    Completely agree. I check for this every few months to see if it exists yet. Coyote just doesn't do it for me, but I like the size.

I'd also love an RFID-blocking mini OP, like the RFID-blocking lining for the passport pouch. It's the perfect size for credit and ID cards, so right now I have a bunch of those little RFID sleeves for my cards and then in the mini pouch like that, but I'd really like to be able to skip the sleeves as they weird out and rip.
    Does it come in purple? Rainbow

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really agree with the comments about something better for money. Although I bought the COW for use as a travel wallet, it really was not a success as it hasn't fitted New Zealand, Australian, Japanese or Chinese notes well. I've ended up using the Double Organiser Pouch, but I really would prefer not to have a clear front. I would like to put cards in the front section as well as coins, but I don't like showing what cards I have.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    One to carry my utensils (a shorter pencil pouch size).
    @sturbridge, I routinely use the size 2 Knitting Tool Pouch to carry utensils. It is a shorter pencil pouch with reinforced ballistic nylon ends that can handle, for example, curved fork tines.

See my Using the Yeoman Duffel Packing Cubes as a Lunch Bag post for example pictures. I'll excerpt a few here:

(That's the Alite Cloverware utensil you suggested at the far right of the first picture; the second picture shows the Kiwi size #2 Knitting Tool Pouch next to an Indigo 3D Clear Organizer Cube, about to be closed into the Mini Yeoman Aether Packing Cube along with a lunch box below).

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree about the "small and quarter" idea of a pouch between small/medium. Something that would easily hold/zip in 4x6 index cards without them swimming.

I'm also imagining something like a Smart Alec lower modular pocket but with the diameter, say, of a golf ball. A rounded pen/pencil tube.

What about something that closes with a flap snap instead of a zip?

I use pouches all the time and LOVE the diversity of colours/materials. Helps me remember what to grab. Change in small Monarch/extra cards in Nordic/Keys in Wasabi, etc.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with a "paper money" size between small and medium that can hold euros, pounds, yen, etc. And it should come in all types, clear, halcyon, ballistic, single zip and double zip :-)

I also agree with "something that fits 4x6 card" (e.g., a Japan Rail Pass!) although maybe the above paper money size would be the same thing.

I do find the existing Small to be ideal for a passport though--have no need for the "official" TB passport pouch.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast