Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Night Flight being discontinued?

The NFTD has been limited to black/NWS for weeks now, with no other colors “in production”. I’ve been putting off buying one as I hoped they’d add zippers to the dividers and now it looks like I’ve lost my opportunity to get a halcyon one. (I believe they were offered in halcyon at one time...)
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    The NFTD has been limited to black/NWS for weeks now, with no other colors “in production”. I’ve been putting off buying one as I hoped they’d add zippers to the dividers and now it looks like I’ve lost my opportunity to get a halcyon one. (I believe they were offered in halcyon at one time...)
    I hope not! I really like mine, and was hoping to eventually get another in a brighter color (than my current black/steel). I was actually hoping they'd make this small bag in the new ballistic colors! The Halcyon version was too floppy for me.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m pretty sure that, at least as far back as I can remember, no bag has been retired without prior warning and a last chance for people to get hold of one. So, even if it’s being considered I would expect it to have a last run first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Beth for mentioning that the halcyon is floppy. I’ll hope for a 525 fabric!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Halcyon NFTD. I prefer Halcyon when there is a lot of native structure because it is easier to access the compartments. With the center pad in place, it holds its shape nicely. I did have a ballistic one and loved it as well.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one in halcyon as well and i agree that with the center pad/insert in place, it has quite a bit of structure. I normally prefer ballistic and love the new 525, but this design (as well as the Copilot) in halcyon works for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree -- with the insert, the Halcyon has a lot of structure, due to the design. Maybe "floppy" is the wrong word. It's more that, because I preferred to remove the foam insert, the bag would look a little lumpy for me, because it would show the shape of its contents more than the ballistic would.

However, both bags were great, and I sold the Halcyon one very reluctantly. It was a very pretty Nordic/wasabi combo. The black ballistic one that I kept is very tough, though, and really flies under the radar as a boarding bag.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveltech, I can't speak for the TB crew (obviously), but it could simply be a question of inventory vs. scheduling. I had a similar concern re: shop bags and some other items that have seemed to disappear with nothing noted in production, so I reached out to the crew, and Matthew mentioned that inventory tends to get low around the holidays, and the production crew is off for 3 weeks post-Christmas. So it could take a few weeks/couple of months for different items to be re-stocked, depending on where in the production schedule that particular bag is slated.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    so I reached out to the crew, and Matthew mentioned that inventory tends to get low around the holidays, and the production crew is off for 3 weeks post-Christmas. So it could take a few weeks/couple of months for different items to be re-stocked, depending on where in the production schedule that particular bag is slated.
    Good to know, thanks for sharing that!

NJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I just bought a co-pilot - it should arrive tomorrow - but I've been hankering for the NFTD - I, too, wish there were other color combinations available, but I'm not otherwise put off enough to not order the black/steel. I like its adaptability and smaller size. This is more of a "want" than a "need". :-).

If anyone has any comments to help push me over the edge, feel free (softball question!) to share them.

thanks!
    Earl

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earl View Post
    Hi,

I just bought a co-pilot - it should arrive tomorrow - but I've been hankering for the NFTD - I, too, wish there were other color combinations available, but I'm not otherwise put off enough to not order the black/steel. I like its adaptability and smaller size. This is more of a "want" than a "need". :-).

If anyone has any comments to help push me over the edge, feel free (softball question!) to share them.

thanks!
    Earl
    This is wild speculation on my part, but it feels like it might be going away soon... as someone noted, there hasn't been any signs of 'in production' for months... the one-offs that pop up seem like returns. They made a run of the packing cubes back in November and now they say 'in production' but the page doesn't have the normal 'check back soon' or '2-12 weeks'.... with all the new designs they have rumored, it could just be at the bottom of the priority list, but you never know.
    Regardless, watch the page and the disco thread, because if they do announce that there will be no more made, chances are the ones that are left will sell out quickly.

(this was just a friendly effort to nudge you over the edge, lol)

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly the NFTD seems to be a slow seller. I decided in the autumn that I wanted one in ballistic and watched the page for quite a while. The halcyon colour option took ages to sell, and then the only colour restocked was black, presumably the most popular option. At the same time a new set of photographs of blue NFTD appeared on the site and I did wonder whether this preceded a more diverse run of colours, but not so far. In the end I found a second hand one.

I would not be surprised if it were discontinued. This would be a shame in my opinion, as it is a fabulous overnight/weekend bag.

Had I not already got one, I would buy a black one, to be honest. Maybe not your preferred colour, but would you rather have a black one or not have one at all ?

If they make your preferred colour later you could always sell the black one....... Night Flight being discontinued?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    Certainly the NFTD seems to be a slow seller. I decided in the autumn that I wanted one in ballistic and watched the page for quite a while. The halcyon colour option took ages to sell, and then the only colour restocked was black, presumably the most popular option. At the same time a new set of photographs of blue NFTD appeared on the site and I did wonder whether this preceded a more diverse run of colours, but not so far. In the end I found a second hand one.

I would not be surprised if it were discontinued. This would be a shame in my opinion, as it is a fabulous overnight/weekend bag.

Had I not already got one, I would buy a black one, to be honest. Maybe not your preferred colour, but would you rather have a black one or not have one at all ?

If they make your preferred colour later you could always sell the black one....... Night Flight being discontinued?

Maybe 525 ballistic versions are on the way? The time between the announcing and availability of the 525 DLBC was short.

Although i would be interested in an aeronaut 22(ish) if something was needed to fill that capacity slot in the lineup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcswanson View Post
    Maybe 525 ballistic versions are on the way? The time between the announcing and availability of the 525 DLBC was short.

Although i would be interested in an aeronaut 22(ish) if something was needed to fill that capacity slot in the lineup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Oooo, NFTD in Mars Red would be lovely. Some people felt that the 1050 ballistic was too stiff for this bag, so the 525 could work well actually Night Flight being discontinued?

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes! Mars Red 525 NFTD would be really good! My NFTD is one of my all-time favourites and probably one of my most used TB bags. PLEASE don't retire it, unless a "tweaked" version is in the planning!
    I really could do with a Black 525 NFTD as well as I do find the original ballistic a bit inflexible sometimes!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast