Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lizziejean3 View Post
    The size of those suitcases!!! What on earth are they packing??? Confused
    I've rocked up to checkin with a 25in roller and had the staff member say "we love people who travel light"

It's all relative.

(I think it may have even been JFK now that I think about it)
    List under construction ....

Forum Member 3rdCoastHighlander's Avatar
    Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    While trying to explain the virtues of carry on only, these are some of the responses I get:

"I backpacked in college. Why would I want to do that now?"
    "I don't want to do laundry on my vacation."
    "I like to dress for dinner."
    "Only two pairs of shoes!!!! Are you kidding?"
    "Wash my clothes in the sink? I"m not from a third world country."
    "I like to shop. There's not enough room in a carry on."
    "But what if I need.......? How do I know I can find it?"
    What a great thread!

I backpacked a number of times all over Europe and the Caribbean while in college with a huge pack. I was stupid to have carried so much. Most of the stuff I hardly ever used. If I only knew then what I know now... Smilie

Over the years I've carried less, and less. About 5 years ago I started reading and learning about traveling light and minimalist traveling . I had an epiphany. These pictures simply certify why traveling "minimalist" is what I do now. Even my daughter understood it at age 14 when I took her to Europe. Seeing the "sea of suitcases" (which didn't go on vacation, or to work with their owners) should wake some people up. A few years ago, one of my students on my HS trip to Europe checked her huge luggage, and it showed up 5 days into a 12 day trip. She was miserable. I'm going to save these pictures to share with students on my next trip. Their pure gold.
    Synapse 19, Black Halcyon/Island with multiple organizer accessories. Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, 7-8 TB Shopping totes.
    Briggs & Riley CX Carry-on.
    "You can't have a narrow mind and a thick passport."- Pauline Frommer
    Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm moving to carry on only, particularly after an experience of vacationing for a week in Berlin with no luggage. On my next trip to Paris, I was suddenly rebooked on an earlier flight because of a delay, and I was terrified that once again I would have no luggage (thankfully, they sent it on another flight that arrived at the same time as the one I took).

I don't even think one has to be particularly minimalist when going only with a carry on bag and personal items. I can fit so much into a carry on when using packing cubes.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my (admittedly many) pet peeves is having to check baggage. So I switched to carryon only a few years ago. It freaks out my co-workers that I never have to check a bag, no matter how long a business trip lasts, while they always have to check a bag. I went on vacation with extended family last year and it surprised them too.

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my business trip next week I'm taking my Pilot and Pop Tote. Both will fit under the seat in front of me. No checked bags. Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I don't even think one has to be particularly minimalist when going only with a carry on bag and personal items. I can fit so much into a carry on when using packing cubes.
    Very true. I don't carry special travel clothes, and my street clothes are larger than average, yet it's still doable. There are many ultralight/minimalist strategies that anyone can put in place; oftentimes, though, they do take some thinking and planning, which takes time and effort. And I totally get if someone doesn't have either, or needs to concentrate either/both on something else. Like everything, it's a question of priorities. But it's amazing the easy hacks one can pick up and implement just by reading an article or blog post or two.

Of course, while my plane trips may involve planning, lists, and spreadsheets, once you take size, weight, and luggage separation out of the equation, my weekend road trips are much more throw-everything-in-bags-at-the-last-minute-and-sort-it-out-later.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think taking advantage of underseat space so that you don't even have to worry about needing the overhead is the way to go. When you can. Travel nirvana!

I can't always manage it, but the Pop Tote helps a lot. I noticed on my last JetBlue flight, over the holidays, that the combination of the Night Flight Travel Duffel and the Pop Tote really maximized use of the underseat space, because of the rectangularity of both of these items. No straps or dangly bits to intrude into the next persons' area. On an earlier flight in November, I'd used the NFTD and the Side Kick, but the Pop Tote made packing a little easier due to the extra space it provides.

The only disadvantage of this combo is that neither has a backpack mode. And of course it matters a great deal which airline you are flying: Some provide such little legroom that you really want to put everything overhead. I'm glad Jet Blue is an outlier in this respect.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 01-10-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    once you take size, weight, and luggage separation out of the equation, my weekend road trips are much more throw-everything-in-bags-at-the-last-minute-and-sort-it-out-later.
    I can relate to this. It seems counter-intuitive, but the longer the trip, the less I pack. Maybe because on longer trips I plan on doing laundry and I try for my bag to be as small and light as possible since I will be living with it for so long. However, on short trips I just throw things in my bag without much planning and it usually is over-packed with more "just in case" items.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    ďNot all those who wander are lost.Ē - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hotel front desk person looked at my carry on bag and asked where was the rest of my luggage. I said that was it. He looked at me and said "I would need that bag just for my shoes."
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    I can relate to this. It seems counter-intuitive, but the longer the trip, the less I pack. Maybe because on longer trips I plan on doing laundry and I try for my bag to be as small and light as possible since I will be living with it for so long. However, on short trips I just throw things in my bag without much planning and it usually is over-packed with more "just in case" items.
    I'm the same way. The longer the trip, the less I pack.

Of course, some of that comes down to the type of trip. The shorter trips are usually business or holidays, where I need fancier clothing and documents or gifts. The longer trips are usually staying with family, so I know they'll have stuff I can borrow; or sightseeing travel, and I don't care if I wear the same outfit every day.

York, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to always take a suitcase, but I can now manage to take carry on only - I still think I overpack and sometimes wish I had brought a different top or trousers. I think its difficult if I haven’t been to a place before,or that’s totally different to previous destinations. I.e. city break, as opposed to visiting family in Florida, but Im getting better. Its easier if you are travelling with someone, so you can share items, perhaps toiletries.My idea of hell, is hearing stories of going on a cruise, with a suitcase allowance of 20kg (per case), not per person.
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've come across another good reason to fly carry-on.
    Gangs of thieves target luggage of passengers taking airport buses in Hong Kong | South China Morning Post

Even when fully packed, I've been able to rest the A30 on my knees when necessary. I don't have to use central luggage racks or under-floor storage in buses and coaches.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say what they like, I have packed for work, with suit, in the midwest winter, with 2 pairs of shoes for a size 12 6'-3", in a WF. If they really wanted to make it work, they could make it work.

I'm also the type to pack as much as will comfortably fit, so my 2-day trips are about the same size as 10-day trips, with some extra choices.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, weighing in on this discussion. I've always been a light packer when it comes to travelling because I feel it's easier to watch over my belongings when I'm carrying a small(er) bag. I've done trips of a few days and up to a week with a regular messenger bag as my catch-all (holding clothes, everyday essentials). For the past few years, I've done an annual month-long solo trip to Europe using my A30 as my carry-on. I think it's even for more important for me to fly carry-on only as a lone traveller because there's no one else who can keep an eye on my bag or who can lend me items if I get separated from my bag.

Flying carry-on only also means that my bag is compact and light enough for me to bring inside a toilet cubicle, lift it up to put it in an overhead cabin, and when I reach my destination, manageable enough for me to carry point to point, on public transport or on foot. Generally, my A30 weighs around 6kg at the start of a month-long journey and weighs about 8kg (yes, I usually manage to squeeze in another 2kg of souvenirs and snacks) at the end of it. So, it's a weight within carriers' carry-on limit and which I can handle comfortably and confidently.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you carry your carry-on into the toilet in-flight? Or did you mean when not on the plane (i.e. in the airport, in a lobby, etc.). I always take my personal item with me if Iím traveling alone, but donít think I could get my A30 into an airplane toilet!!
    Last edited by haraya; 01-19-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast