Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Southern California
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why I fly carry-on

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My work travel companions may make fun of my carry on only policy but I know I will never be part of that kind of chaos. When things are smooth, things may be fine but when things happen I know I will be ok and have all my things with me.

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    Three of those bags in the photo belong to friends who got stuck while traveling back from Tel Aviv.

I’m right with you. Carry on is the only way to go for me. I hope I’ll be able to continue traveling like that for many years. I just have to be mindful of my body’s carry limits and listen to it. I’m not a one-bag gal, but I can do one bag plus a personal item very well. Currently those pairings are typically either my Aeronaut 45 plus my Maker’s Bag or my Western Flyer with my Pilot. It just depends upon how many days I’ll be traveling and where I’ll be traveling.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As much fun as my siblings make of me, I too fly carry on only. I've had one bag get destroyed and items go missing from a checked bag. Traveling carry on only has let me switch flights, makes it easier to deal with public transportation, and makes me look less like a tourist in some places.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was stuck for two days in JFK, many years ago. They lost my bag too. That experience convinced me to start carrying on. (And to avoid layovers in NY.)
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy G View Post
    My work travel companions may make fun of my carry on only policy
    Mine used to, but now I've converted a lot of them Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    Traveling carry on only has let me switch flights
    In a chaotic weather situation, this can be key. Getting an agent to switch out flights just seems to be easier if they know they don't have to deal with your checked bags.

The other crucial piece for me is that if you're stranded, you at least have toiletries, clothes, etc. I got stuck for 6 or so extra hours in Warsaw once, knowing that at the other end of that flight (which landed after midnight), I would need to be on the road again by 5:00 AM. Being able to buy a lounge pass in Warsaw and take a shower, brush my teeth, and put on clean clothes that I could sleep in meant I got an extra hour or so of sleep that night.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That and stories like this - Three accused of stealing luggage from Miami airport | Miami Herald

There was a case a few years back in Phoenix - a couple had literally stolen hundreds of bags from the baggage claim

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While trying to explain the virtues of carry on only, these are some of the responses I get:

"I backpacked in college. Why would I want to do that now?"

"I don't want to do laundry on my vacation."

"I like to dress for dinner."

"Only two pairs of shoes!!!! Are you kidding?"

"Wash my clothes in the sink? I"m not from a third world country."

"I like to shop. There's not enough room in a carry on."

"But what if I need.......? How do I know I can find it?"
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Montana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The size of those suitcases!!! What on earth are they packing??? Confused
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will admit that the idea of floating through the airport with just a personal item sounds wonderful, but the benefits of traveling without checking bags far outweigh any inconveniences.
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    I will admit that the idea of floating through the airport with just a personal item sounds wonderful, but the benefits of traveling without checking bags far outweigh any inconveniences.
    I had to (reluctantly) check luggage outbound for an overseas trip, and while there was a certain breeziness to the freedom of physical movement, it was accompanied by a general state of worry that lasted the entire flight. Learning to love carry-on was one of the smartest things I've done as a grown-up. I can sometimes be convinced to check a bag on the way home now and then (direct flight only) since I don't live super-far from the airport and don't have to worry about being naked or stinky at my destination, but outbound my general packing motto is Carry-On or Death.

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two weeks before Christmas, I was flying Alaska Airlines from Portland to Virginia with a connecting flight in Seattle. The first flight was a DASH-8 400 prop plane and the connecting flight in Seattle was a 737, both booked full. As I generally board last, I knew I would be asked to check my bag, so I went ahead and checked it at the counter. This decision was both good and bad.

The good was that the flight to Seattle was delayed to the point I lost my two-hour layover and made it to my connection as they were closing the door. If I had my big bag, I would have lost minutes waiting for it to be unloaded on the tarmac and would have missed my connection (it was that close).

The bad was that my bag did not make it to my final destination. It's a lonely feeling standing at the baggage claim carousel at midnight waiting for a bag to pop out the hold which never does. My bag was not lost, thankfully - Alaska Airlines knew exactly where it was. it just wasn't in Virginia, with me. I got it about 8:30 p.m.

Because I end up gate checking (through to destination) so much, or being told not to put my bags under seats because they're too big, I've become more open to the idea of checking my bag. And even though there is a risk, I'm willing to take that risk until such time as I can reduce my stuff to a point I can travel minimal enough to get my clothing and work things into a small enough package to legitimately fit under the seat. I'm not there yet.

Until then, I'm OK with checking my luggage and ending the stress of will I have room or won't I.

Montana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's one way to one-bag it! (from Gilmore Girls)

Why I fly carry-on-screen-shot-2018-01-09-9-40-45-am-jpg
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, this one from SNL Wink

Why I fly carry-on-2bb09448f09fc873df47639ce38fee0a-airline-humor-saturday-night-live-jpg
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take it a step further and only do what I can fit under the seat. I don't need that much leg room, and I never have to fight for space.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast