1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S25 vs Brain Bag

When I travel I generally have to take a 13” MBP and 12.9” iPad. Right now I use the S25 and can generally go for a number of work days with lighter clothes. Winter packing is more of a challenge. What I love about the S25 is the organization. I use a snake charmer in the bottom pocket, toiletries in the water bottle compartment, and a smaller zojirushi travel bottle in a side pocket.
    Main compartment laptop/iPad in front inside pocket and big packing cube. Sometimes extra shoes that pack flat on top of packing cube.

For those with the Brain Bag - how do you feel about the organization? Using it as a travel bag not as a technology workhorse? Is it comfortable (tech in front or closer to your back?)? Does it get too heavy? Still easy fit in overhead bins?

Final question capacity is higher than S25 do you “feel” the difference in what you can pack?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only had a S25 for a few days hoping it would be nice to use when my BB was too big, but the size difference in what I could pack in both was definitely noticeable. I’ve use my BB for everything these last 4 years: travel, EDC, Uni, whatever and I never found the need for more organization.

When I pack my BB I usually use packing cubes as I find them necessary for it. The PCSB fits perfectly in a main compartment and you could fit two of them with some extra room in each space. Typically what I have done is in the compartment against my back put my iPad Pro and MacBook Pro, an EC large cube, and then my snake charmer on top. In the second compartment would be a pair of shoes, PCSB, TT, another small packing cube, and toiletry bag. The front packets then hold all my miscellaneous items. Another useful item is the DLBC since it can fit horizontally or vertically in either BB compartment and then you have a smaller day bag with that can hold a laptop. I believe a Pilot might also fit but that would take up the majority of the space in the BB.

I’ve never had an issue with it becoming too heavy but I routinely carry 60lbs in my bags so I’m a bit of an outlier. I find the straps on the BB to be the most comfortable of any TB backpacks for what it’s worth. Traveling with it is easy as it fits in every plane I’ve been in. Ine if the most useful things I’ve found as well has been strapping my jacket on the side using the compression straps before getting on the plane. That way it’s not taking up too much space in the overheard and I won’t forget it.
    Boots, Bags, and Beer. (And Coffee)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great info.

All of my bags are Halcyon. Does anyone know why this was never made in halcyon? bag structure?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post
    This is great info.

All of my bags are Halcyon. Does anyone know why this was never made in halcyon? bag structure?
    I had asked this back in 2014 and the response was mostly about the structure. I think it was that Halcyon for the BB just didn’t hold itself very well. I should see if I can still find the actual response.
    Boots, Bags, and Beer. (And Coffee)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely do at times wish the BB had better organization in the 2 main compartments. And one thing that drives me absolutely crazy is the Snake Charmer doesn’t fit in the BB’s large front pockets, and TB doesn’t even make a cable organizer sized for those pockets. I have a Tumi cable organizer that fits great though.

The BB has become my primary travel bag. For one to two day trips I can use it as my sole bag; clothes in packing cubes in one pocket, work-related stuff in the other pocket (laptop, tablet, files/folder/notepad, etc.). For longer trips it makes a great carry-on or second bag. I also have the TB camera insert that fits in the BB and while I don’t use it often, it certainly is a nice option to be able to take my DSLR and a few lenses in the BB without needing to mess with my dedicated camera bag.

I bought the Tri-Star but I actually feel like the BB is a more versatile travel bag.
    Jason
    Aeronaut 45 | Tri-Star | Brain Bag | Medium Cafe Bag | Various odds and ends

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow on snake charmer. I also have one of the smaller ones and wonder if it would work in a front pocket. My cable mess has gotten better with USBc (2m cables) and the cord now detaching from the Apple brick.

I think I need to sell my TriStar. I don’t use it. With S25 or SA when I go for work I leave clothes at hotel and use the pack as my EDC. TriStar just doesn’t work for that. I also won’t carry it on my shoulder with a second bag as a backpack.

This week I need to head to SF and will have 2 laptops (one has hardware issue so dropping at the office) and iPad but it’s only a 2 day trip so S25 has plenty of space.

Thanks

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The small Snake Charmer does indeed fit in one of the two front pockets.

S25 vs Brain Bag-snake-charmer-jpg
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot