Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Next Bag?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next Bag?

Hope everyone had a good long weekend. Some of you might remember I posted about getting a Aeronaut 30 before Christmas to replace my current luggage. I ended up getting a Pilot bag to use as carry-on and see how I liked the TB brand before I made more purchases.

So it's time for me to make my next purchase. So I was wanting to get people's opinions on the following.

HAVE:
    - TB Pilot - used as carry-on for cruises and flights (eventually)
    - North Face backpack - used for edc
    - unsure of brand luggage - main luggage used to travel (large and medium sized bags)

INTERESTED IN:
    - TB Aeronaut 30
    - TB Brain Bag

I am definitely going to get the Aeronaut 30 but is it really worth getting the brain bag to replace the North face backpack I have as edc. I would only use it for edc or a short weekend or overnight trip.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you carry in your EDC, mrbaseball, and what is it about your North Face backpack that you feel does/doesn't work? TB has a lot of backpack options that are easily recommended, but which one (Brain Bag or otherwise) all depends on what you need/like/don't like.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently a Kindle, Chromebook, hydro flask water bottle, Nintendo switch, power bank, a hat, sunglasses, and when I carry my lunch a lunch box.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on how big the lunch box is, that could probably fit (tightly) into an S19 or more easily into an S25 as well as the BB.

The Smart Alec is too large for a normal EDC, but if you're at all interested, get one now as they are discontinued.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbaseball47 View Post

is it really worth getting the brain bag to replace the North face backpack I have as edc. I would only use it for edc or a short weekend or overnight trip.

Comments and suggestions welcome.
    What drew you to the Brain Bag? I have the Synapse 25 and it should fit everything you mention but it is a bit smaller and sleeker than the Brain Bag. The thing I love about it is the external pockets. There are five, and only one of them is small and flat. It's unlike any other backpack I've ever owned.

Forum Member
    Deep South, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although the Brain Bag cinches nicely when it's under packed, it might be too much bag for what you are describing. The Synapse 25 should give you ample space and a less weighed-down look.
    S19, Pilot, S25, SE, NFTD, SCB, LCB, LS- in that order, all in Halcyon. Newest: Brain Bag. Oh, and some Shop Bags and Travel Cubelets. And some pouches. And a couple of Organizer Wallets. And a SSK. And some stuff sacks. And a laundry sack. But I'm not hooked on TB.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Brain Bag is HUGE. Like carry on luggage sized huge.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    What drew you to the Brain Bag? I have the Synapse 25 and it should fit everything you mention but it is a bit smaller and sleeker than the Brain Bag. The thing I love about it is the external pockets. There are five, and only one of them is small and flat. It's unlike any other backpack I've ever owned.
    From the pictures I just like the look of it more than the S19 or S25. However as another person posted maybe the BB is too much bag. If it's really that big maybe I wouldn't like it as an edc. Does anyone have pics of them side by side to get a comparison?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a BB and it was comically huge on me. For EDC, I didn't really even need the second compartment.

One suggestion...

If you are going to get an A30, I would load up on every bag you have ever thought of purchasing. At least that you can afford to float. Will only cost you $10 to send it back whatever you don't love. I have done this with a few purchase for bags I wasn't sure about. Instead of waiting for my preferred color combo, I just ordered what was on hand.

My $.02.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone mentioned the SA above. Would that be too large for an EDC? I see that it's discontinued and I've never really looked at it as a real option. How does it compare to the BB or the S19/25? Even if it larger I think it's the same price as the BB so would it be beneficial to get the larger bag?

At this point I'm just undecided and overwhelmed by the choices of S19/25 or BB or SA and need others input. I appreciate everyone's help.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbaseball47 View Post
    From the pictures I just like the look of it more than the S19 or S25. However as another person posted maybe the BB is too much bag. If it's really that big maybe I wouldn't like it as an edc. Does anyone have pics of them side by side to get a comparison?
    I did a search of the forums and found plenty of discussions about Brain Bag vs S25 but no pics. If no one posts any here then I agree that spending $10 in return postage to buy and try out several bags might be worth it.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a Brain Bag and yes, it is absolutely colossal. If you like the look, though, you could keep the compression straps tightened and only expand them if you're traveling. (As a bonus, you can fit the Pilot into the Brain Bag as a kind of super-sized packing cube, then use it as your EDC at your destination.)

FWIW, the Smart Alec is my favorite bag. I don't use it for EDC, but I certainly could. It's my go-to bag for most things, and it's worth grabbing one to check out while they're still available.

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @kieri the SA is my favorite TB backpack (I haven't had a BB yet). I like the wide open space and the barrel shape of the SA. It feels good on my back in a way the S25 never did. Also, I feel that I can fit more in the SA than the S25. I don't need hyper organization so the pockets of the S25 felt more constraining to me (I can see the appeal but it's not my style).

I have often pondered the BB for travel as I find the A45 a bit too big at times and much prefer backpack options.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need the organization of the S25, but if I didn't, I'd buy the Smart Alec in a heartbeat.

I second Cristina, though, about trying on multiple bags and returning one if you can swing it. It's not ideal and a bit of a pain, but you really can never tell what will work for you until you pack a bag and try it on. That $10 investment in return postage has saved me hundreds of dollars in not-right-for-me purchases on more than one occasion.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's how I think of the bags, in order of capacity (liters), maybe this will help:
    @Darcy, this is what I was talking about for spec tables in the Wishlist 2018 post

15.00 x 9.80 x 5.90 12L Luminary, backpack, highly configured (ie, lots of pockets/divisions built in)
    16.00 x 11.40 x 7.90 19L Synapse19, backpack, highly configured
    20.00 x 13.40 x 9.00 25L Synapse25, backpack, highly configured
    18.50 x 11.75 x 7.75 26L Smart Alec, backpack, bucket style, lightly configured
    18.00 x 12.00 x 7.00 26L Western Flier, highly configured suitcase replacement, backpack as secondary carry
    19.75 x 12.60 x 7.90 30L Aeronaut 30, duffle style, lightly configured, backpack as secondary carry
    19.00 x 13.00 x 8.00 33L TriStar, highly configured suitcase replacement, backpack as secondary carry
    18.00 x 14.00 x 9.00 36L Brain Bag, backpack, highly 'configured' but has compression straps
    22.00 x 14.00 x 9.00 45L Aeronaut 45, duffle style, lightly configured, backpack as secondary carry

IMO, When you think about a travel bag, EDC, or a bag suitable for both... you want to consider not only what you want to carry, but how you like to organize things...

I have a Luminary for non-laptop EDC out & about in the city, etc., when I don't want to carry a Side Kick or other cross body bag...
    My S19 is my EDC with & without a laptop and I use the built in pockets for those little bits & bobs that I always carry for just in case, etc.
    For EDC, I prefer configured/built in organization, because there is a standard set of STUFF that I always carry & leave in each bag.

When I travel, I prefer the SA & A30 for their little bit of built in organization but the freedom to use all my various packing cubes for whatever specifically I need on that trip... I may also bring a Side Kick or a packable backpack or whatever... but it's about the configurability... The SA can hold a laptop in the cache and you can put a laptop in an A30 in the main compartment, depending on size and how you cushion around it...

The other main deciding factor for me is the overall length of the bag... so far the SA hits the sweet spot for me, so I'm leery of the S25 since it's longer... I've backpack carried the A30 for an hour or so at once with no issues, so it shouldn't be a huge deal but there's a difference to me between backpack carry as a secondary option (A30) and primary function (S25).
    When the Guide's Editions are back in stock, I'm considering getting one plus a BB just to see and to test pack...so even tho the BB is huge in volume compared to my other bags, it's shorter on the length and compressible so it may work better for me than an S25.

Anyway, long post, but just a way of looking at it that might help you.
    Cheers

EDIT: Looking at the list, this is part of the reason I jumped on the SA when I heard it was being disco'd... it's the only backpack style that is not configured in that mid capacity space.

I added the TriStar and Western Flier...
    Last edited by G42; 01-17-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast