Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might ballistic Clear Organizer Wallets ever be an option?

My olive cordura COW from 2008 is still going strong, but after 10 years now (!), I'm hankering to update the color.

What I'd really like is an aubergine COW, which I know I could substitute with an aubergine mini organizer pouch, but I find the wallet dividers way too convenient to live without: I carry doodads like bobby pins, safety pins, hair elastics, a dental flosser, sometimes a couple of small bandages, and other weensy things in the front-most (clear) section of the COW that would get lost or hidden otherwise without the dividers. (My bare-minimum EDC is my COW with cash, cards, and these tiny necessities in my front pants pocket.)

I know I, for one, would happily purchase a ballistic COW or three in various colors if they were an option.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the new 524 ballistic? And replace the ultrasuede dividers with something a bit stiffer.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    My olive cordura COW from 2008 is still going strong, but after 10 years now (!), I'm hankering to update the color.

What I'd really like is an aubergine COW, which I know I could substitute with an aubergine mini organizer pouch, but I find the wallet dividers way too convenient to live without: I carry doodads like bobby pins, safety pins, hair elastics, a dental flosser, sometimes a couple of small bandages, and other weensy things in the front-most (clear) section of the COW that would get lost or hidden otherwise without the dividers. (My bare-minimum EDC is my COW with cash, cards, and these tiny necessities in my front pants pocket.)

I know I, for one, would happily purchase a ballistic COW or three in various colors if they were an option.

Hi @kmw,

They have sold Ballistic Nylon COWs, and specifically ones in Aubergine, but the last time I remember Aubergine COWs being available for an extended period of time was in 2014.

Here's my quoted answer to @adalangdon from May in the 2015 Wishlist thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @adalangdon, AFAIK, there were never any Clear Organizer Wallets made in Iberian Dyneema -- the one, notably left-out Dyneema color when they issued more of these Dyneema COWs back at the end of January/beginning of February 2014, along with with Black and Nordic 400d Dyneema COWs, as described in this post (#8 in @scribe's Organiser Wallet colours thread with excerpted picture:

(Sorry, I left out Steel Dyneema, since that COW had been around for a long time -- Wasabi also wasn't new -- and the Cardinal was a stand-in for the missing Iberian)

Aubergine was offered as a wallet. In fact, my memory is that after the initial offering, it was available again in the new wallet releases in February 2014 among the Ballistic Nylon COW colors, and for some months after. This stuck in my mind, because they weren't good about identifying the material. At that time Aubergine and Forest were clearly Ballistic Nylon, based on the color name, but "Black" (when ordered then) was also Ballistic Nylon.

I don't think they ever released wallets in Cayenne, since I think all the earlier Cordura wallets were 1000d Cordura, and Cayenne was always a 500d (lighter lining weight) Cordura color. I agree it would be nice to see a Cayenne wallet, though.

HTH

moriond
    Just to add, the first Ballistic Nylon COW I recall is the one made in Kiwi, and offered at the time the first Little Swifts debuted in 2010. It's been offered a number of times since then, until the last Kiwi Ballistic Nylon ran out. You can see the Kiwi COW featured in many of @NWHikergal's photos with gorgeous scenes of the Pacific NW in the background. The largest variety of Ballistic COWs was probably offered at that time in early 2014, when they also sold Parapack and 200d Dyneema/Halcyon wallets. And they did offer a 500d Cordura COW (in crimson, not the more red-orange cayenne in the request) when they made the last batches of the older style messenger bags (Ego, ID, Super Ego) before retiring them -- they found enough of the original 500d Cordura lining material to make those combinations in early color offerings and scraps showed up as pouches.

HTH

moriond

ETA: Here's @Lara's picture of COWs from her November 2014 post in the What's in my Side Effect thread. Aubergine is the COW in the center, below the Verde Side Effect:

Last edited by moriond; 01-17-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @kmw,

They have sold Ballistic Nylon COWs, and specifically ones in Aubergine, but the last time I remember Aubergine COWs being available for an extended period of time was in 2014....

OMG, here I thought I was too early for a ballistic wallet, and it turns out I am way too late! Your post/pics suggest I've likely looked at dozens of photos of ballistic COWs and just never registered them as wallets (but rather as pouches, I guess). *facepalm*

Thanks very much for the info, moriond, and for setting the record straight. Your older linked post even says the wallets were debuted in 2009, so I got my COW purchase date wrong as well. I thought for sure I bought the COW at the same time as my first purchase of a plum/olive LCB, but sure enough, my old LCB receipt says Nope. Funny, though, I cannot find a receipt for the COW at all, so now I haven't a clue how or when I bought it! Big Grin

Since I'm here, thanks also, moriond, for the wealth of info in general you've shared over the years. I have learned a ton from your posts, and they've helped me make oodles of decisions. Greatly appreciated. ETA: And your cross-referencing skills are amazing! (Please tell me you're in library or info science.)

Now if only I could go back to the years of cool stuff I missed out on but now finding myself jonesing for (aubergine COW, Imagos, Hunter or Forest anything...). Plum COW it is! Smilie
    Last edited by kmw; 01-17-2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added thanks and info

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I'm here, thanks also, moriond, for the wealth of info in general you've shared over the years. I have learned a ton from your posts, and they've helped me make oodles of decisions. Greatly appreciated. ETA: And your cross-referencing skills are amazing! (Please tell me you're in library or info science.)
    Yes! Thank you Moriond - Very much appreciate your encyclopedic knowledge and willingness to share! Smilie

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Another addition: This is the image that was associated with post #3 of the Colors of COW? thread from March 2015. It references the 11 October 2011 blog post which, at the time the post was created, had an accessible photo. I'll give the full content of my posted answer in that other thread. You can see that even at that time, there were Clear Organizer Wallets in Kiwi Ballistic Nylon and Cardinal Ballistic Nylon. Aubergine Ballistic Nylon wasn't introduced until September 2012, so it's not shown in that 2011 blog post picture, but if you follow the link to the September 2012 blog post that introduced Aubergine Ballistic Nylon, you'll see that the Aubergine Ballistic Nylon COW was announce as available for pre-order at that time:

================================================== ========================================

Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    Does anyone have a COW in turquoise or conifer? I don't see samples of those colors on the color sample page. Unless I'm missing something?

Thanks!!
    Here's a picture of Clear Organizer Wallets from the 11 October 2011 Blog post:
    Turquoise is the second wallet from the left in the second row of colors
    Might ballistic Clear Organizer Wallets ever be an option?-clearorganizersblog-jpg
    The full list of wallet color/fabric options is: (1st row) Steel Dyneema, Black, Hemp, Cocoa; (2nd row) Navy (all fabric), Turquoise, Olive, Kiwi Ballistic Nylon; (3rd row) Plum, Cardinal Ballistic Nylon, Azalea, Cork

If only a color is listed without qualification, then the fabric is Cordura (the same material currently used for the outside of the Cafe Bags). Kiwi and Cardinal are Ballistic Nylon colors (e.g., the same material that is used for the heavy duty versions of travel luggage bags like the Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Night Flight Travel Duffel, and all current model Swifts). Hemp (more specifically, Vulcana rubber hemp) and Cork were special material that were used for bags and pouches in the past, but which are not currently offered either because there is no longer a supplier of this fabric (in the case of Vulcana rubber hemp), or because quality issues in later production batches forced discontinuation (in the case of Cork).

To get an impression of Conifer as a color, you can check the Conifer love! thread started by @Rocks, for an accurate color rendition of this color (in a Synapse backpack). You can also check @adalangdon's post (#7) in the Some greens thread for the color of the Forest pouch, which is close to the color of Conifer. (The picture of the Conifer Synapse is a more accurate rendition of this color, however.)

HTH

moriond

ETA: And your cross-referencing skills are amazing! (Please tell me you're in library or info science.)
    @kmw, I have profound respect for librarians, but I can't claim to be one. A quick explanation of some of the broken image links in old posts, and why searching for pictures is hard on these forums.

According to what I was told about best citing practices, if you don't have reason to believe these will suddenly disappear or change, it's preferable to link directly to the material you're referencing. However, shortly before they moved the web hosting to the current site, whoever was in charge of the move started deleting images in many of the 2011 blog posts. (This happened in the week before the move: I actually watched individual images disappeared from day to day). These weren't moved to another location we could easily access -- so they just disappeared. In some cases, if I've been able to locate a copy of the image in question referenced from another location, or if I've downloaded it, I can substitute the picture. But in most cases, I can't do anything about the broken links.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    @kmw, I have profound respect for librarians, but I can't claim to be one. A quick explanation of some of the broken image links in old posts, and why searching for pictures is hard on these forums.

According to what I was told about best citing practices, if you don't have reason to believe these will suddenly disappear or change, it's preferable to link directly to the material you're referencing. However, shortly before they moved the web hosting to the current site, whoever was in charge of the move started deleting images in many of the 2011 blog posts. (This happened in the week before the move: I actually watched individual images disappeared from day to day). These weren't moved to another location we could easily access -- so they just disappeared. In some cases, if I've been able to locate a copy of the image in question referenced from another location, or if I've downloaded it, I can substitute the picture. But in most cases, I can't do anything about the broken links.
    Having worked in web tech, I hear ya. The only thing that lasts forever on the Internet is the fact that nothing lasts forever.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having worked in web tech, I hear ya. The only thing that lasts forever on the Internet is the fact that nothing lasts forever.
    Except for embarrassing stuff. It is surprisingly resilient!