Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dimensions Questions

Hey all!

So thanks to this post I've decided to pick up a Co-Pilot and a Small Cafe Bag before I go on a trip in April. Yay! These new bags will both serve to replace my old Medium Cafe Bag (which one depends on the situation).

But as I was happily wandering the site looking for dimensions I noticed an oddity.

The Small Cafe Bag page lists the volume as 350 cu. in. The Dimensions/Specs page lists the volume as 275 cu. in. (the small cafe bag is listed under 'small bags').

Anyone know which it is? I'm not sure if any other dimensions are off or not.

I was also curious about the dimensions of the front side pockets on the Co-Pilot, though I can estimate easily enough since apparently the 3D organizer cube (7" x 4.3" x 2") will fit in them. Curious though how much extra space there would be.

Also trying to figure out which types of organization I should pick up for the co-pilot. I have one mini organizer pouch that I bought with the Medium Cafe Bag that I'll transfer to the Small, but I'm going to want some organization for the Co-Pilot as well. Just have to decide what.

Tips appreciated.

...and I want a bag for work too... I shouldn't buy THREE bags. Nope. Don't do it. Do. Not. Do. It. You have an older CourierWare bag you bought before discovering Tom Bihn. It's perfectly fine. Don't do it... But look how amazing the EMPIRE BUILDER is...

Broussard, Louisiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to the bags dimensions..
    (10.6" x 8.2" x 2.9" ) this equates to 252.1 cu in. by math alone.. interior dimensions might be less.. so 250 cu in is probabyl closer to real cubic dimensions
    Last edited by dsonyay; 01-28-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Broussard, Louisiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops.. well, it could be a bit more considering there are pockets on exterior.. so scratch my first reply.. That number above would be just the main compartment

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BowTrek: the left and right front pockets on my CoPilot measure (inside) approximately 5" wide, 10" high, and 2-3" deep (front to back). Of course since we're measuring something flexible, results may vary, so "don't try this at home"!

Hope this helps. As to accessories, I only have two for the CoPilot. One is a medium organizer pouch with the transparent front, in which I carry an assortment of non-prescription meds, like Advil, etc. for peace of mind. The other is a small organizer pouch in which I carry medical insurance cards and such. Both are attached with the optional straps with clips on the ends. Those are really helpful for fishing stuff out of any bag.
    Last edited by Go Navy; 01-28-2018 at 08:32 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @Go Navy for the pocket information on the Co-Pilot! Bit more room than I expected, honestly. My Nook might even fit in there, though it'd be a tight fit (and it's fine if it doesn't).

I have a mini organizer pouch (halcyon) that I'll move from the MCB to the SCB. For the Co-Pilot think I will pick up an organizer wallet and a q-kit, both with an additional strap.

But really posting again just in case anyone who works for Tom Bihn wanders in here about the dimensions issue on their website. The MCB dimensions don't match either between the two parts of the site, just FYI.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BowTrek View Post
    But really posting again just in case anyone who works for Tom Bihn wanders in here about the dimensions issue on their website. The MCB dimensions don't match either between the two parts of the site, just FYI.
    You can email them directly too

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are different ways to measure volume. I think the ISO standard is the higher one; as I recall, it involves stuffing the bag full of 1" diameter balls and then empty them into a container like a measuring cup. I think that would get you a higher reading based on the soft sides, as opposed to just running the cubic volume based on dimensions.

I think the ISO number might be a better way to compare two different bags and account for the give of various materials, but not necessarily accurate for planning contents in packing cubes.

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey y'all! We're actually going to remeasure the SCB and the MCB to be sure (it might take a week or two since our measuring equipment is not currently on site), but conjecturally I think that the cubic inches of both the Small and Medium Cafe Bags as represented on the Dims/Specs page is correct.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewR View Post
    Hey y'all! We're actually going to remeasure the SCB and the MCB to be sure (it might take a week or two since our measuring equipment is not currently on site), but conjecturally I think that the cubic inches of both the Small and Medium Cafe Bags as represented on the Dims/Specs page is correct.
    Thanks for that! Something in me just loves having precise measurements to do comparisons in my head.

Comparing to a few other bags I'd guess the cubic inches is around right, but I'm glad things will be clarified. Much appreciated (and love my bags!).

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright we've remeasured and here's what we've found: according to the ASTM F2153 standard, the current liter measurements (six and eight liters respectively) are correct and we've updated/corrected the cubic inches to 375 cu. in. for the Small Cafe Bag and 500 cu. in. for the Medium Cafe Bag to reflect this.

As Darcy mentioned here we're working to implement a new measuring system based on the previously mentioned ASTM standard that we aim to use in order to measure more accurately and will remeasure those bags using that measurement system when we're happy with the new system.