Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ode to the Smart Alec

After ordering a few Smart Alecs for my family, I must admit that I am falling in love with this bag. I am amazed that the final few aren't flying off the shelves. I especially am impressed with the looks of the Steel Ballistic against the Black Cordura. It looks very rich yet subtle. So in my spare time I wrote a fun laymans poem for my new bag (appologies to any English Literature friends).

My Ode to the Smart Alec

When I first saw thee in pictures you seemed rather large,
    A messy open pit, like a hiker’s garage.
    With stretchy rope blowing hither and thither,
    it appeared that your comfort was near mountain and river.
    ___
    Now as your life nears its end, I take pity on you,
    I order a gaggle for my family to peruse.
    And low and behold, now that you have joined my carry clan,
    I feel thy beauty and utility in my minimal land.
    You are not too bulky or earthy for my travel carry need,
    You seem rather stealth in the urban jungle sea.
    ___
    I won't forsake my Western Flyer or Synapse 19,
    They’ve traveled the world, far and between.
    No, you’ll join my rotation stuffed with cubes at the check-in,
    An informal TARDIS when CAPACITY beckons.

Edit: picture added
    Last edited by nimikor; 01-31-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've considered purchasing the Steel Smart Alec, but i am really unsure of how the steel would look in person. It looks very bland on the website photo. Do you have any other photos of the Steel SA?

By the way, cute dog!
    Last edited by Wanderersaurus; 01-31-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my SA!!!

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steel Ballistic is an interesting color. In the pictures it looks like a grey but in person it is actually a steel bluish color. Depending on the light it can appear like Cadet Blue 5, Sky Blue 4, or Air Force Blue on this color chart: Download Shades Of Blue Color | slucasdesigns.com

Here are some pictures in different lighting:

I think it’s a pretty classy color that looks good without drawing too much attention.

My dog “Pippin” says “thanks for the compliment”.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @nimikor The only problem w/your poem is that now we'll expect more... it's so good! You made my week. Thanks
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post

I think it’s a pretty classy color that looks good without drawing too much attention. .
    Agreed - I have an SA in steel and it's a neat chameleon colour.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you @Darcy. When one is holding art, it is easy to find the right words. You also made my week with your comment. :-)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I hadn't seen the pic of the different smart alecs. I purchased a steel one a couple weeks ago since they were being retired and it's a bag I could use. However after seeing the bag in the pic, the aubergine looks really good and I was wanting to switch. I checked last night and they still had them. I decided I was going to wait til after work as I had a question for the crew first. I got off work and went to go check and didn't you know it but they were out of the aubergine. So disappointed. LOL

At least I have my steel one. If anyone has aubergine (new) they want to trade please message me.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbaseball47 View Post
    I wish I hadn't seen the pic of the different smart alecs. I purchased a steel one a couple weeks ago since they were being retired and it's a bag I could use. However after seeing the bag in the pic, the aubergine looks really good and I was wanting to switch. I checked last night and they still had them. I decided I was going to wait til after work as I had a question for the crew first. I got off work and went to go check and didn't you know it but they were out of the aubergine. So disappointed. LOL

At least I have my steel one. If anyone has aubergine (new) they want to trade please message me.
    They've been out of Aubergine for a while, that was one that was sent back after someone tried it out...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    They've been out of Aubergine for a while, that was one that was sent back after someone tried it out...
    From what I was told on the phone it was more than likely a return.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear you missed on the Aubergine. I have also learned the hard lesson to grab a preferred color quickly when it appears. However, Steel isn't a bad consolation prize If you want that POP of color you could get an Aubergine Side Effect and attach it to the top of the SA with single gatekeeper clips from the accessories page.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!?? I am super sad. I LOVE this bag and somehow missed it being retired. I want 2 more (one for each kid). ARGH. Sad face
    Aeronaut 30 in Aubergine/Wasabi
    Ristretto in Olive/Cayenne
    Small cafe in Plum Cordura/Olive
    Western Flyer in Black/Island
    Synapse 19 in Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky
    Smart Alec in Black/Iberian
    Synapse 25 in Red Blend/Northwest Sky
    Small Cafe bag in Red Blend/Navy (EDCB)
    Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned this lesson the hard way, too, so when I saw the Black Halcyon SA I jumped at the chance and have been using it everyday since it arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    Sorry to hear you missed on the Aubergine. I have also learned the hard lesson to grab a preferred color quickly when it appears. However, Steel isn't a bad consolation prize If you want that POP of color you could get an Aubergine Side Effect and attach it to the top of the SA with single gatekeeper clips from the accessories page.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Smart Alec (black halcyon) because I saw they were retiring, and I am so glad I did. I carry it daily with my work stuff/art supplies with a Side Kick inside. Such a good bag. I used it for travel recently, and it was excellent in that role, too.