Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I'm curious about the circumstances in which you use your side effect? I carry mine as a purse when I walk my dog and only need my mobile and dog poo bags

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this about Cordura in the other thread lamenting the lessening of Cordura in TB's lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    From my first high-end bag purchase to my Tom Bihn obsession I have always and still love Cordura 1000D.

I like the look of it, I like the feel of it, and I appreciate the wear characteristics of it.

I have also never had a clothing-eater problem with it either, although I do appreciate that the Synapse made with it has no Cordura on it's backside.

I did take the plunge to try a Ballistic 525D bag from Tom. I do like it: there's a nice stiffness and the weave is delightful to look at; however I'm not sure it could replace Cordura for me. It is shinier and just a bit slicker than I'd prefer! I've also tried out Halcyon and Halcyon 400. They're nice too and that grid gives it a lovely character. But the venerated Halcyon has too soft of a fabric hand and lacks in stiffness for my tastes. Bags made of it are a little slouchier and just don't drape the way I like to see.

Cordura 1000D is a high-tech fabric in disguise and I love it for that. A good well-loved Cordura has that same patina of wear as classic waxed canvas but none of the traditional cotton downsides- it doesn't soak up a ton of water, it's much lighter, and it's much tougher. It's stiff too: objects carried don't print through it, and it retains its shape nicely while still having a little give for those overpacked days.

If you look at a Cordura bag and you look at a traditional cheap student's knapsack, it doesn't stand out any different either. But one fabric will last nearly forever and the other will last a few semesters.

Anyhow, cheers to Tom Bihn to giving us bag nerds plenty of choices!
    That thread is worth reading too, because Darcy goes into the differences between Cordura and the other materials, as well as explaining why they are so excited about making use of 525d Ballistic in products moving forward.

I still don't think anything quite replaces Cordura. It's substantially lighter than 525d and less shiny, which is a big upside in my book.

Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I posted this about Cordura in the other thread lamenting the lessening of Cordura in TB's lineup.

That thread is worth reading too, because Darcy goes into the differences between Cordura and the other materials, as well as explaining why they are so excited about making use of 525d Ballistic in products moving forward.

I still don't think anything quite replaces Cordura. It's substantially lighter than 525d and less shiny, which is a big upside in my book.
    Great post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2