Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    -5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the smalls way more often than my large one. I initially bought the large one for airplane travel, to be able to carry my Luminary and a separate lunch bag in. Haven't taken an airplane trip since, and now I have a Pop Tote making the large shop bag redundant. In fact the first time I used my large shop bag was this weekend to carry snacks and organizing supplies to help hubby empty out his mother's apartment (she moved to assisted living).

I've used the small mostly as a day bag: a purse, a sweater, water bottle and picnic kit. Easy to take shopping (and throw my purchases into). Easy to have in the backseat of the car with snacks, easy to bring a dish and a bottle of wine for a dinner. Its a really nice size. I too am short and rather small, and the scale of this bag suits me much better.

The only good thing about sad news like this, is that its an indication that new things are coming, and hopefully one of them will be something I will also like.
    Getting to the point with too many bags to list them all. Current daily carry is a PickUp Truck and Everyday Cubelet. Love all my shop bags, ghost whales, cubelets. Hoping to travel again soon to use my A30 and co-pilot.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, no! I had no idea! I wish I would have ordered more in the newer lightweight colors. They don't seem to be available now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post

The Small Shop Bag I value the most is the one in black, which for reasons I don't understand was just a limited edition. It is the perfect stealth bag for use during commuting. I wonder if more shop bags would have been sold if the black had been included regularly as an option, along with all the bright colors.
    I gave my dark grid black Halcyon SSB to my son. He lives in an urban environment and walks to the grocery store-it's an understated look and the only color he'd use for sure. I do miss it, but I have a couple other SSB (Zest and Iberian). I find the SSB is a convenient, easy to carry size so I think I'll regret it if I don't get a couple more while they're still around.
    Last edited by threeteez; 02-12-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear. I love my small shop bag. I will echo the hope that with the retirement of the small shop bag, something similar in size will take its place.... I use mine as a purse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone else excited about what new things are coming out to replace those being retired? I am! I am sorry if you miss out on things you would've liked. Just trying to see the silver lining.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sad. I am having a hard time with all the discontinuations, I have to say. I know that change is the only constant, and for the most part I buy colors and accessories right away if I think I definitely can use them, but sometimes I do have to save up for the next purchase. I agree with many fellow petite people on this thread - the Small Shop Bag is just a great size for those of us who have lower centers of gravity. I too like carrying one small bag on each side, over carrying one large bag I have many SSBs but now I am sorry I didn't get a Grass before they sold out.

Businesses make practical decisions based on what sells, I get that. At the same time I love companies who keep a consistent core product line, because I can replace things that wear out, or buy accessories that integrate well with what I already have. I don't know why this is bothering me so.... after all, Nordstrom changes its lineup every season, and I don't feel like I need to buy everything from them in all colors! Smilie

There are much bigger challenges in the world. I know this. I will be content with my pod of Small Shop Bags.

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little bummed by this. I have three SSBs and one LSB. I use the small ones way more! Three is probably enough for me (assuming I can keep my mom from stealing them Big Grin), which is good since I can't afford an order right now.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Iím glad I logged in before bed! I love my small shop bags, and Iím glad I had the opportunity to double my supply (from two to four) before theyíre gone for good!

Forum Member 3rdCoastHighlander's Avatar
    Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TB Shop tote: I purchased one large shop bag, and three smalls a little while back. We love the smalls. The large bag we use for bread and big bags like chips, etc. But, the heavy cans, bottles and such need to go into the small totes, otherwise the bag is just too heavy. Due to this, we tend to use the smalls more. I am expecting another order of 3 small totes within the next few days, which I happy for since they're being discontinued.

Construction wise, the shop bags/totes are phenomenal. I like the bottle pockets for my Spanish Riojas. AND....no plastic bags going into the trash, blowing down the street, etc.
    Synapse 19, Black Halcyon/Island with multiple organizer accessories. Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, 7-8 TB Shopping totes.
    Briggs & Riley CX Carry-on.
    "You can't have a narrow mind and a thick passport."- Pauline Frommer
    Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve just ordered a couple of small shop bags - I prefer the small ones and love the heavy weight one I have (in a blue halcyon, cant remember the exact colour) .. with more of our shops moving away from plastic bags the shop bags will will handle my shopping needs for years to come.
    List under construction ....

Forum Member
    Lost in the Midwest
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I love the IDEA of the small shop bag (I am one of those who like small things, tiny spaces, etc), I had them for several months and every time I did use them, I wished I had used the LSB instead. I sold all of mine. I have 2 LSB's that I keep in my car for grocery shopping. The Pop Tote has taken over my urban carrying needs. And I am VERY EXCITED about what might replace the SSB!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I agree with @bchaplin. The small shop bag is perfect for urban commuters. I always have one with me. Whereas the large shop bag seems like it takes up more space in my bag. Also it's just too big for me to carry and hits the ground (short people problems)

The large shop bag seems like it caters to people with cars. No offense. I just walk, bike, kick scoot, and transit everywhere. The small shop bag is perfect for people like me who make several trips a week to the grocery store rather than one large trip.
    I have to disagree here: I think it's more about size and carrying preferences than context. I do most of my food shopping, errands, and commuting on foot, train, and bus, while my husband does ALL of his food shopping, errands, and commuting on foot, train, or bus, and the LSBs have been great for me and perfect for him -- so much so that I've never even bought the small size until today. Smaller is always better on a packed train, of course, but that applies to pretty much everything (bags, coats, people... Smilie)

That being said, Darcy's announcement does prompt me to finally pick up a couple of small SBs. While the husband is happy to pile a rotisserie chicken, bottle of wine, eggs, bread, bananas, tomatoes, chips, and everything else leak-, squish-, or crush-worthy together into one large bag, I do find myself wishing for a smaller size sometimes to separate certain items, particularly for hand-carrying. I'm on the tall end, so I can hand-carry the LSB without it dragging, but the SSB seems like it will be more comfortable at times.

The Pop Tote (mentioned by others) is a different beast to me, though, and for me a non-starter: at more than twice the weight for 5L less in volume, THAT strikes me as more of a car bag comparitively. A nice bag, for sure, but the Shop Bags and Pop Tote are optimized for different things. Considering weight vs capacity, plus that a bottle of wine doesn't sit fully in the PT pockets, it's LSBs all the way for me, even hoofing a couple of miles in the rain.
    Last edited by kmw; 02-13-2018 at 06:51 AM. Reason: clarification

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm bummed at completely missing out on the ballistic SBs, but at the point they were released I was seriously wondering if I'd have a use for a SB in a stiffer material. Oh, the regret. Sad to see the SSB go, and frankly, I never thought this day would come!

Also sad about the Sprout going away. I still use it as a day bag on weekends and really admire its clever design.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    I don't know why this is bothering me so.... after all, Nordstrom changes its lineup every season, and I don't feel like I need to buy everything from them in all colors! Smilie
    HA! Great point.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish the LSB handles were a tiny bit shorter, but I understand that it's not designed optimally for a short person like me.

The LSB often drags on the ground when I hand carry it. It's good only when the bottom pulls flat across (with a large flat object or if it's fully stuffed just right). But it's a no-go for me when things pull the middle bottom of the LSB down a few inches--just enough to make it impossible for me to hand carry. For that reason, I never use two LSBs at once (and so I even ended up getting rid of all but one).

I agree that the PT is not as large as the LSB, but at least I can hand carry the PT in all circumstances. The PT is perhaps already the "new" SSB, but the replacement is not ideal in my book, since I wouldn't pack or use more than one PT at once either due to the weight and bulk. So the several SSBs I still have will remain frequently used for a long time, alongside one LSB and one PT.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast