1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noooooooo! This makes me extremely sad. While I love both my large and small shop bags and use them almost equally, the small shop bag does outstanding double duty for everything from gym clothes to a small bag in bag option to a work tote in a pinch. It also is one of the more affordable gift or Tom Bihn entry items that really is an all star. While the Pop Tote is an incredible seeming design, it holds a much higher price point and additional features which may be unnecessary (arguably reasonable if you are using all the features); but the perfectly functional simplicity of the shop bags has won my heart.

I really hope that there are some phenomenal designs in the works (which are not overly fussy), as some of the recently discontinued items like the Smart Alec and small shop bag particularly shine in their minimalist versatility.

I can't believe I didn't check the forums yesterday...
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíll add more voice of appreciation for the small shop bag. Due to my petite size, I canít hand carry the LSB because it drags on the ground. Iíll get one more SSB and treat them all gingerly so they last me a lifetime.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I find it shocking! Not to mention a bummer. I thought everyone loved the small shop bag. I find it a lot more convenient than the large one.
    Ditto. While I use both the small ones get used more.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really donít get this. Is it such a poor seller to not remain?

Such an odd choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS) & (Black/Steel), Tristar (Steel/Island), Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Synapse 19 (Grey/UV), Ristretto 13 (Steel/NWS), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Co-Pilot (Steel/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. The small shop bag is perfectly sized - it's the only bag that I can carry by its handles that doesn't drag on the ground as I walk. It is the perfect bag.... why?????

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love mine and am glad I picked them up in Sitka, Fjord, and Original Halcyon, since I mostly use them as EDC bags. I am excited to see what else TB has in mind for us, though!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    Really don’t get this. Is it such a poor seller to not remain?

Such an odd choice.
    I've always assumed there was a small core base for he Small Shop Bag that justified keeping it, but I've never taken its continued availability for granted. The first sign that this might not stick around forever was the reply I received to a post in 2010 in the middle of the FJN debut thread. I asked whether they would make the Regular (now know as Small) Shop Bag in Iberian so I could consolidate a planned order:

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    moriond,

I think we're only going to make the Large Shop Bag from now on - it's much more popular than the Regular Shop Bag. So, it's unlikely that the Regular will ever appear in Iberian.
    Over the next month there were other hints on their Facebook page that they might discontinue the small size. When Ultraviolet Dyneems (now called Halcyon) debuted, with both sizes of Shop Bags, I made sure to grab some small size bags in case they decided to discontinue these. A formal reprieve didn't come till some time later.

It's ironic that when I just checked the product page, most of the small bags are now gone, except for Iberian.

HTH

moriond

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Tom Bihn’s big problem is that their bags are just so excellent that once you you have a set that meets your needs you dont have to buy any more ... i only bought the two yesterday because they’re going away - otherwise I might never have done it because mine are in great shape (except a tiny hole in the large one where it has scarped the ground while hand held (I’m not short but maybe I have long arms ?)

I’m not generally inspired to duplicate/replace items for colour .... but Iberian .... nuff said.
    List under construction ....

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I much prefer the small shop bag and had an ultraviolet one in my cart, but was waiting until payday on Friday. I had no idea they would sell out that fast. Glad I got at least one before they disappeared. Such a more manageable size and easier to keep stored in my EDC than a large one. I just don't understand why two sizes can't be offered.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lots of both sizes and use the small ones all the time as EDC supplement - eg my swift with side kick inside is my purse and my lunch and etc stuff goes in a small shop bag. The large ones get used on trips more.

I couldn't believe it when I read it was being retired but I think that the only way something so important could go is if it is being replaced by something similar/better... I hope I'm not this is the case.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I missed any hints. Must admit feeling a bit gobsmacked about it.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I'm bummed at completely missing out on the ballistic SBs, but at the point they were released I was seriously wondering if I'd have a use for a SB in a stiffer material. Oh, the regret. Sad to see the SSB go, and frankly, I never thought this day would come!

Also sad about the Sprout going away. I still use it as a day bag on weekends and really admire its clever design.
    Hi @adalangdon,

Did you ever try the redesigned (larger) Sprout? I find it more comfortable to wear than the original Sprout. I showed one of these in the pack up I did of the Mini Yeoman Duffel. I also mentioned the design change in my post in the Meglet- does the Sprout fit? thread, but I never read any feedback from the others who went ahead to order the new Sprout.

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless it falls out of someone's basket or there's a return, all the Small's are gone

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Unless it falls out of someone's basket or there's a return, all the Small's are gone
    I think there were three small shop bags left in NW Sky around the time I composed my post (the one just before yours)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi @adalangdon,

Did you ever try the redesigned (larger) Sprout? I find it more comfortable to wear than the original Sprout. I showed one of these in the pack up I did of the Mini Yeoman Duffel. I also mentioned the design change in my post in the Meglet- does the Sprout fit? thread, but I never read any feedback from the others who went ahead to order the new Sprout.

moriond
    O, no, I haven't! Was so swamped with work that I didn't check all the posts carefully during that debut and totally missed your subsequent posts.

Grrrr, I ordered the Olive PT only 2 days ago. I note from your Yeoman Duffle post that it does seem quite a bit bigger than the original. While I have the Luminary and use it now and then, I haven't quite gotten into it and still prefer my (small) Sprout. A upsized Sprout is definitely on my wish list now! Good thing the Sprout has never been that popular.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 02-13-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast