Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Washington DC-ish
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that the fastest sell-out ever?

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    O, no, I haven't! Was so swamped with work that I didn't check all the posts carefully during that debut and totally missed your subsequent posts.

Grrrr, I ordered the Olive PT only 2 days ago. I note from your Yeoman Duffle post that it does seem quite a bit bigger than the original. While I have the Luminary and use it now and then, I haven't quite gotten into it and still prefer my (small) Sprout. A upsized Sprout is definitely on my wish list now! Good thing the Sprout has never been that popular.
    Before Christmas, they sold out of the Aubergine/Wasabi Sprout and remade it. I saw the Burnt Orange/Steel and Verde/Steel Sprouts sell out, as well as Navy/Wasabi. At present, the only Sprouts are 400d Halcyon combinations (Nordic/Wasabi and New Black Halcyon/Ultraviolet). Although the redesigned Sprout is longer, and accommodates U.S. letter size paper, I'd guess the fit is a bit tighter if you're carrying lots of A4 paper, since the width of the bag narrows near the top. I recall @Cristina asked about that, and that my guess was that it might be easier to fit in A4 paper if you had on of the Halcyon models. (I was working with an Aubergine/Northwest Sky Ballistic Nylon Sprout).

HTH

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    Was that the fastest sell-out ever?
    Selling seemed to accelerate throughout today with the comments posted on this thread, and with a similar thread posted over at Ravelry. All the colors of the Small Shop Bag appeared available at the start of today.

moriond

Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I'm completely stunned at this news. That is one of the most useful bags I own. I have three Small Shop Bags, and also one in large, which I use much less frequently. For anyone in an urban environment the Small Shop Bag is far more practical, and it can be folded up and kept in reserve until needed.

The Small Shop Bag I value the most is the one in black, which for reasons I don't understand was just a limited edition. It is the perfect stealth bag for use during commuting. I wonder if more shop bags would have been sold if the black had been included regularly as an option, along with all the bright colors.

It does seem that many of the small size items are going away. The Little Swift. The Smart Alec. The Small Shop Bag. The smallest of the "three" travel bags -- the Western Flyer -- which while not discontinued yet is more or less orphaned as far as improvements or accessories go. I guess those of us who are shorter-statured, and/or live in environments that involve train and bus commuting versus driving everywhere, are in the minority.

This is the Brookesia micra, one of the smallest chameleons in the world. It lives in Madagascar. Isn't it cute?

Attachment 19902

This is one of the largest lizards. The Komodo dragon. For comparison's sake. I don't think it gets a lot of compliments on its looks. Just saying...

Attachment 19901

Valid point regarding the lizards. Although I find the Komodo dragon particularly delightful in appearance, the brookesia micra is in fact cuter.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know when we can expect to see the replacement of the SSB? I'm sad to see them go, I use my two SSBs almost every day, and much more often than my one LSB. Interested to see what its replacement will be.

Forum Member
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katcalls View Post
    Does anyone know when we can expect to see the replacement of the SSB? I'm sad to see them go, I use my two SSBs almost every day, and much more often than my one LSB. Interested to see what its replacement will be.
    I believe that the Pop Tote is supposed to be a replacement. It is available on the site. I use a SSB almost every day too. Quite sad to see it go. Rather glad I grabbed my favorite colors when I had the chance.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, I have a Pop Tote that just arrived so I haven't been able to use it yet (and I'm sure I'll love it like I do all Tom Bihn products) but it is almost 3x the cost of the SSB. From a purely bang-for-your-buck perspective, the SSB couldn't be beat.

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if, given the extremely quick disappearance of the small shop bag, they _might_ do one last run? I'd love a chance to order one last SSB.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lam View Post
    I'm wondering if, given the extremely quick disappearance of the small shop bag, they _might_ do one last run? I'd love a chance to order one last SSB.
    In ballistics! :-)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've sold every SSB I've owned. They were always too small and things fell out. I use my LSBs all the time, but I never fill them up to the top. I have to caution the bag boys to underfill them.

I find the Pop Tote to be more useful to me than the SSB, because it's just that little bit bigger and it is more secure.

My only wish is that the regular shop bags had a zip top. The Pop Tote is almost a bit too engineered. I just need zipper on a regular tote.

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my gosh I don't check in for a few days and now there's no more small Shop Bags! Wow. That is a shock, I really like mine too. I was planning to give them as Christmas gifts this year to my coworkers. Hmm. Glad I already have a couple for myself. :|

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    My only wish is that the regular shop bags had a zip top. The Pop Tote is almost a bit too engineered. I just need zipper on a regular tote.
    I think that speaks well to NWhikergal's excellent points earlier as well:

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    While the Pop Tote is an incredible seeming design, it holds a much higher price point and additional features which may be unnecessary (arguably reasonable if you are using all the features); but the perfectly functional simplicity of the shop bags has won my heart.

I really hope that there are some phenomenal designs in the works (which are not overly fussy), as some of the recently discontinued items like the Smart Alec and small shop bag particularly shine in their minimalist versatility.
    I, too, have noticed a move away from beautiful minimalism to more feature-heavy engineering with some concern (for my own selfish self, that is). In addition to the PT, the Moveable Feast most immediately comes to my mind for this discussion: gorgeous to look at and meticulously engineered with groceries in mind, it gives 2 more Liters capacity than the LSB but weights almost 4x (!) as much. That's nearly as much as a Cordura S19. If I were going on a picnic wanting to impress a new love, I'd want me a Moveable Feast or Pop Tote. But for everyday utility (especially on foot and public transport), weight and versatility -- which, in practical terms, translate to pain, energy, and time -- win out over sex appeal. I've never bought a MF or PT, but I'd've bought a zipper-top Shop Bag of either size a few times over. In fact, I'm still hanging onto an SSB-sized canvas schwag bag from a company I don't much even like because it's exactly that: a light, no-frills, multifunctional, zipper-top tote.

Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lam View Post
    Hear, hear! I promise I won't wait this time.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the nice things about being on the west coast is how fast the orders arrive!

My three new SSBs - Wasabi, Northwest Sky, Island... to join my Canyon, Grass, and Steel
    Bye Small Shop Bag-bihn-jpg

Along with some snap/snap key straps (for Cubelets) and another set of single gatekeepers as backup, since those are going away too.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a foot-and-transit commuter, and the LSB is enough to hold my major weekly grocery run. I don't have too much use for the SSB. Selfishly, I focus on the statement that the LSB might become available in another fabric. DAWN LSB, PLEASE. My Nordic is finally getting pretty battered and could use a replacement!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast