Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 114
  1. #61
    Forum Member daisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    455
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pop tote is an entirely different kettle of fish .... not foldable and quite heavy in comparison.

    The shop bags are such a nice alternative to the nasty cheap ones sold by the supermarkets..
    List under construction ....

  2. #62
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a TB fan for years, but I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I'm not the kind of customer that fits anymore. I'm 4'10" and, well, eligible for Medicare. No way a large shop bag would work for me unless I'm loading up the car, in which case, I could better use a duffle bag. No company can fit everyone's needs. I'm afraid I don't see new things that fit my lifestyle or needs anymore. I used to get excited about new product launches, but these days I'm not. A little sad, but I'm moving on. Somebody out there will make the products that I want and need.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

  3. #63
    Forum Member haraya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Y’know, Heath Ceramics has seasonal offerings, where they issue familiar shapes in new, limited-edition colors. And they always have a few key pieces in red around December. So if one has a hankering for a new color, or want to pick up more pieces in red, then there’s a specific time where you know you can order such things. Perhaps that could work with cult favorites like the Small Shop Bag. Holiday SSB’s, anyone?
    Last edited by haraya; 02-15-2018 at 09:12 AM.

  4. #64
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was literally telling a cashier in Melbourne tonight that my small shop bag is the best grocery bag ever. Joining the chorus of folks really bummed about this one - I had definitely planned to buy more when a few of the other things I’ve been wanting are back in stock in the colors I’ve wanted. Will have to scour eBay and the bag swap thread now.

  5. #65
    Forum Member skoobdo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Share
    Arizona
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    ..... I'm still hanging onto an SSB-sized canvas schwag bag from a company I don't much even like because it's exactly that: a light, no-frills, multifunctional, zipper-top tote.
    I was hoping the PT worked for me when it first debut but I ended up buying a lightweight nylon rip-stop zippered tote (more expensive) Frown from another company, since the PT is too short and the LSB unfortunately doesn't have a zipper top. It would be nice if the shopping bags had a top zipper. They would be perfect in every way.
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

  6. #66
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Share
    Virginia
    Posts
    936
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prior to the PT's release I invested in a different brand very lightweight zippered tote made out of X-pac material (which is extremely water resistant) which was sold through LLBean. I do not know if it will have the same durability as TB bags (less likely), but it has been very useful at times to tote goods in the Seattle rainy climate - or on the train. For the most part though, I will still grab my shop bags 95% of the time, since they are so versatile, and they fold up so nicely.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

  7. #67
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very possible that Tom and Nik have a prototype of a Small Shopping Zippered Bag in the works.

    As far as designing for petite people, the Travel Cubelet, a wonderful mini Cafe Bag; the Sprout, Small Cafe Bag and the Side Kick fit the bill.

    A long time ago, Tom designed a Cache-like computer protective bag which had cute pockets and nice colors, I missed getting one because, I needed a Brain Bag and a Large Cafe Bag as EDC.

    Later, Tom offered the Medium Padded Pouch, which were perfect to protect the early tablets then, designed the Cache which were both lifesavers for traveling with electronics. Both as still available, the only items I trust, to protect electronic adequately.

    I logged into the forum in February 2006 and bought my first TB Bags a couple of months after that.

    So have seen the ebb and flows of Tom Bihn new products, new designs, new fabrics for more than a decade, and the line has expended a lot.
    But, as Darcy points out, Tom Bihn Inc is a small company and some products have to be retired before others can be added to the product line.

    So, don't despair and look forward to the new debuts.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-15-2018 at 07:39 PM.

  8. #68
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Share
    North Carolina
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    I've been a TB fan for years, but I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I'm not the kind of customer that fits anymore. I'm 4'10" and, well, eligible for Medicare. No way a large shop bag would work for me unless I'm loading up the car, in which case, I could better use a duffle bag. No company can fit everyone's needs. I'm afraid I don't see new things that fit my lifestyle or needs anymore. I used to get excited about new product launches, but these days I'm not. A little sad, but I'm moving on. Somebody out there will make the products that I want and need.
    I'm 4'11" and I am also really mourning the loss of the SSB. It's so hard to find products that work well for me, and the SSB is the perfect shopping bag. I use mine nearly every day - more than any other TB bag. I've even had cashiers comment on how good of a shopping bag it is. I was waiting to place a new order when the Travel Cubelet I want is back in stock and was going to order a couple more of the SSBs at the same time. I'm kicking myself now for not placing two orders (one for the SSBs now and one for the TC later) instead; I know TB is a small company and they can't guarantee that they will always have the items I want when I want them.

  9. #69
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Share
    North Carolina
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    It is very possible that Tom and Nik have a prototype of a Small Shopping Zippered Bag in the works.

    As far as designing for petite people, the Travel Cubelet, a wonderful mini Cafe Bag; the Sprout, Small Cafe Bag and the Side Kick fit the bill.

    A long time ago, Tom designed a Cache-like computer protective bag which had cute pockets and nice colors, I missed getting one because, I needed a Brain Bag and a Large Cafe Bag as EDC.

    Later, Tom offered the Medium Padded Pouch, which were perfect to protect the early tablets then, designed the Cache which were both lifesavers for traveling with electronics. Both as still available, the only items I trust, to protech electronic adequately.

    I logged into the forum in February 2006 and bought my first TB Bags a couple of months after that.

    So have seen the ebb and flows of Tom Bihn new products, new designs, new fabrics for more than a decade, and the line has expended a lot.
    But, as Darcy points out, Tom Bihn Inc is a small company and some products have to be retired before others can be added to the product line.

    So, don't despair and look forward to the new debuts.
    I am very petite. The Sprout is also being discontinued; the SCB I tried and didn't like because of the large strap (and adding a bulky shoulder pad wrap made the strap worse); I own and like the TC (plan to order a second one), SK, and S19. The problem is that the only tote that was perfectly sized for shorter people was the SSB; that's why there's such a big response to its retirement. The SSB is roughly the size of a plastic grocery store bag so when short people carry it the bag does't drag on the ground. I have the PT but rarely use it because it feels big to carry and the handles on the LSB are too long for short people to use effectively. What I need more than anything else for day-to-day hauling around of stuff is a tote that doesn't make me feel like a little kid carrying her mom's gigantic purse.

  10. #70
    Forum Member bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,049
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, I count 34 separate people in this thread sad about the Small Shop Bag going away, or expressing how much they like the ones they have. And that was a very fast sell-out as the remaining ones were snapped up. It certainly does seem like there is potential for making future runs of them.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-15-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

  11. #71
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    248
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    I am very petite. The Sprout is also being discontinued; the SCB I tried and didn't like because of the large strap (and adding a bulky shoulder pad wrap made the strap worse); I own and like the TC (plan to order a second one), SK, and S19. The problem is that the only tote that was perfectly sized for shorter people was the SSB; that's why there's such a big response to its retirement. The SSB is roughly the size of a plastic grocery store bag so when short people carry it the bag does't drag on the ground. I have the PT but rarely use it because it feels big to carry and the handles on the LSB are too long for short people to use effectively. What I need more than anything else for day-to-day hauling around of stuff is a tote that doesn't make me feel like a little kid carrying her mom's gigantic purse.
    Shortie, this doesn't help with the SSBs, but in case you liked the SCB otherwise but haven't tried it in a while, be aware that the cafe bag straps have softened over the years. Which may or may not help in your case, but the strap on an MCB that I tried just a few days ago is more akin to me to a thick ribbon than the stiffer, thicker straps of previous years.

  12. #72
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ack, that is a bummer. Plus, the Smalls were perfect entry-level Tom Bihn

  13. #73
    Forum Member Sacharissa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Share
    Minnesota - Land of 10,000 Seasons
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am Heartbroken!
    I haven't been to the site for a week or so, due to work and the Olympics, so I missed the opportunity to stock up on more Small Shop Bags. Yes, I have six (Steel Dynema [pre-Halcyon days], Original Black Halcyon, Black Halcyon, NW Sky, Black 210 Ballistic [or was it 525?], and Dawn])...But can one really have enough SSBs? I think not! I use them just about every day. As previously noted, they are the perfect urban commuter bag. I do not own a car, so I always have an SSB on hand in case I need to do a quick bit of shopping on the way home. I've used them for handbags, picnics, book bags, travel bags, computer bags...Now what will I do when these start to wear out? I am bereft!
    Frown
    On an Epic Quest for the Perfect Bag...

    One Bag to rule them all, One Bag to find them,
    One Bag to carry them all and in the aircraft bind them...

  14. #74
    Forum Member Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Share
    York, UK
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have bought another SSB I have one in NWS, so always thought I would buy another one, but alas, that is not to be!!
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

  15. #75
    Forum Member haraya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,610
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, I certainly have a small stable of SSBs, but as I ordered my valedictory SSB I thought, "well, these are all about the same vintage, I will have to take good care of them because I can't replace them!" I think a case could certainly be made for a limited restock, announced with plenty of notice to give fans one more chance at these little gems. Or, as suggested above, an annual release, awaited breathlessly and sold out instantly! It could be like Beaujolais Nouveau! "Le Petit Sac est arrivé!!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacharissa View Post
    I am Heartbroken!
    I haven't been to the site for a week or so, due to work and the Olympics, so I missed the opportunity to stock up on more Small Shop Bags. Yes, I have six (Steel Dynema [pre-Halcyon days], Original Black Halcyon, Black Halcyon, NW Sky, Black 210 Ballistic [or was it 525?], and Dawn])...But can one really have enough SSBs? I think not! I use them just about every day. As previously noted, they are the perfect urban commuter bag. I do not own a car, so I always have an SSB on hand in case I need to do a quick bit of shopping on the way home. I've used them for handbags, picnics, book bags, travel bags, computer bags...Now what will I do when these start to wear out? I am bereft!
    Frown

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •