Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Or, as suggested above, an annual release, awaited breathlessly and sold out instantly! It could be like Beaujolais Nouveau! "Le Petit Sac est arrivé!!"
    I think holiday SSBs are a great idea - I like the Heath Ceramics analogy, being in the SF Bay Area.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At Tom Bihn Inc, there are debuts in December, April and at the beginning of summer.

A couple of years ago, after the Mothership moved to its current location, Darcy said that TB was at production capacity, even if extra people are added to deal with the holidays' rush.

Tom and Nik are always designing new items, so between December and April, which is now, The Crew has to decide what items to phase out to make room for the April, Summer and next Holiday season debuts.
    Sometimes, there are also new items for Back to school.

Now, I wonder if I have missed some of the debuts dates. Long time TB forum members, please come to the rescue.

The timeline has to have very long range because the majority of TB fabrics are custom made.

For all we know, Tom and Nik might have loads of small bags prototypes in a wide range of scrap fabrics.
    It is also possible that, in that lot, a Small Shop Bag and Sprout like items are being re-designed over and over to make fabulous TB bags for petite people.

I thing the Sprout, as used by school children, has challenges accommodating common school items like letter/A4 binders and some books.

The Pop Tote is supposed to be a middle of the road size tote, but, in order to fit over the arm of some, the handles need to be bigger than the Small Shop Bag, so the handles are too long for petite people.

I understand the frustration of discontinued items, I will never get a Navy Parapack FJN.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-18-2018 at 12:11 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the holidays are too busy a time for seasonal runs, it could always be some other (regular) time - Summer Doldrums SSBs! Winter Olympic Little Swifts! (would coordinate nicely with the Ravelry Games - I forget what they’re called... ) #colormehopeful #temporaryabsencemakestheheartgrowfonder

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no! I also have been offline for 10 days and missed this news!

4'10" here. I use my zest SSB every day! I have 1 LSB but it’s really too big for me.

Like others I was waiting for the TC to come back in stock to buy more SSBs in different colors.

Please add me to the list of heartbroken.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all!

@backpack was right on. We expect that, sometime around mid-May to mid-June, we'll be ready to debut the following new designs:

1) A Shop Bag with a zipper closure in sizes Small and Large. There’s a third size we’re considering (well, really, it's more like debating at this point) that may or may not become a reality. This design has been much discussed for quite some time and the goal was to bring it to fruition at some point this year.

2) A new grocery/shopping-specific tote that Tom designed for himself. Right now, there’s three in existence: the one Tom has, and two samples he made for us to test. Cody has one and @moriond has the other.

And I do think we can squeeze in one more batch of the current non-zipper Small Shop Bag design and offer that for purchase as part of the tentatively planned mid-May to mid-June debut.

With the aforementioned new designs and other new designs in the works, we must retire existing designs. What makes the most sense is for us to retire designs that aren’t as popular as other designs, and the Small Shop Bag is in that category. We sometimes choose to offer special production runs of previously retired designs (the Little Swift, for example) when the following stars align:

1) It’s a design that we want to make again.
    2) It’s a design you want us to make again.
    3) It’s a design that doesn’t require special materials or components that we no longer have made for us.
    4) We’ve decided that we have the production capacity available to make the design.
    5) Other considerations dependent on the design in question and what else is going on in our delightfully complex small business.

Generally speaking, we aren’t able to offer advance notice of or promise special production runs of retired designs. For example: we wouldn’t want to put ourselves in a position of promising additional runs of the Small Shop Bag around the holidays that people may or may not want, and then find ourselves unable to make more of other designs that are more in demand.

I hope this makes sense / shares a little more insight into the rhyme and reason behind why we do what we do. And because we're especially busy right now with various projects, I may not be able to respond further in great detail, at least in a timely manner. Once we have more details about the new totes, I'll definitely share those.
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Darcy, for the update. I am very excited to hear about the new designs coming, especially the shop bags with the zippered tops, and also for a last run of the small shop bags. A lot of people here on the forum will be very excited with this good news. You made my day!
    Last edited by pammy; 02-21-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall reading - a long time ago - about a light bulb company that went out of business, because their light bulbs never burned out. I feel like TB bags are like that, a little bit. They do what they do so well and they practically never wear out. So what may seem like unpopularity might just be durability. Thanks, Darcy, for sharing the behind-the-scenes processes. We appreciate the openness! I always feel like TB is making thoughtful choices, even when we can't see behind the curtain.

(I do think that interesting discussions rise out of these inflection points - I thought NWHikerGal made a great point that the SSB has been an ideal entry point (price- and function-wise) for many TB newbies, and Shortie and others highlighted how much it suits those of us who are of petite stature.)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Hi all!

1) A Shop Bag with a zipper closure in sizes Small and Large. There’s a third size we’re considering (well, really, it's more like debating at this point) that may or may not become a reality. This design has been much discussed for quite some time and the goal was to bring it to fruition at some point this year.

2) A new grocery/shopping-specific tote that Tom designed for himself. Right now, there’s three in existence: the one Tom has, and two samples he made for us to test. Cody has one and @moriond has the other.

And I do think we can squeeze in one more batch of the current non-zipper Small Shop Bag design and offer that for purchase as part of the tentatively planned mid-May to mid-June debut.
    Darcy,

Thanks for the update! All hope is not lost, it seems. Are there plans (or even just tentative discussions) about material or colors to be used in the batch of non-zipper small shop bags? Or is it too premature for that?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful news, I love debut days and sneak inside peaks to the workings and designing "behind the curtain!"

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Shop Bag with a zipper closure in sizes Small and Large
    YES YES YES YES YES! BUY ALL THE BAGS!!!

Ahem. Thank you. Nothing against the Pop Tote, but it's a bit more bag than I really need for a shop bag.
    I really like the Shop Bags. I just don't want stuff to fall out of them.

Please make them in the thin ballistic fabrics as well as halcyon.

I swear I'll buy every color.

Only, please debut them after mid-June, please? Or I'll miss the debut.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 02-21-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea they were discontinuing it. I'm so upset I didn't snag a few more while I could. The large one is useful for international travel, for sure, but the small one made way more sense for me in terms of urban work-home commuting.

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    YES YES YES YES YES! BUY ALL THE BAGS!!!

Ahem. Thank you. Nothing against the Pop Tote, but it's a bit more bag than I really need for a shop bag.
    I really like the Shop Bags. I just don't want stuff to fall out of them.

Please make them in the thin ballistic fabrics as well as halcyon.

I swear I'll buy every color.

Only, please debut them after mid-June, please? Or I'll miss the debut.
    Oh that would be dreadful if the debut was right at the start of your trip away (IIRC you're going to Germany, right?). If you can manage to get internet access on debut day, can you arrange for a neighbor to take in packages for you?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Oh that would be dreadful if the debut was right at the start of your trip away (IIRC you're going to Germany, right?). If you can manage to get internet access on debut day, can you arrange for a neighbor to take in packages for you?
    Or you can enjoy your trip, and just catch the second production run of the new items when you get back :-)

The announcement of small and large zip shop bags is very welcome news. It takes away a lot of the sting of the original SSB being retired. And I hope that everyone will have ample notice if there is indeed one last batch of SSBs.

(But also reading between the lines, re: the "new grocery/shopping-specific tote"--if I were on the fence about the Moveable Feast, I guess I would be grabbing it now, just in case....)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff View Post
    (But also reading between the lines, re: the "new grocery/shopping-specific tote"--if I were on the fence about the Moveable Feast, I guess I would be grabbing it now, just in case....)
    That's what I was inferring as well...

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent news! I’m just hoping that the zipper can be hidden away when not in use. Otherwise, I’m afraid it would just get in the way given how I usually use my Shop Bags!
    On an Epic Quest for the Perfect Bag...

One Bag to rule them all, One Bag to find them,
    One Bag to carry them all and in the aircraft bind them...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast