Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcy, I am overjoyed to hear there will likely be another run of the SSBs in their current state. Thank you! Could I request that there be Halcyon 400 weight fabric used on this last run? I would buy all of them. My black Halcyon is in heavy everyday use and I would love more.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    And I do think we can squeeze in one more batch of the current non-zipper Small Shop Bag design and offer that for purchase as part of the tentatively planned mid-May to mid-June debut.
    Great news! I would love to see it in Northwest Sky.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep wanting to take some hint photos of the new designs, but I can't figure out a way to do that without revealing too much (or revealing something that might change.) Sigh! We'll just have to wait...

Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    You made my day!
    And your post made my day!

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Thanks, Darcy, for sharing the behind-the-scenes processes. We appreciate the openness! I always feel like TB is making thoughtful choices, even when we can't see behind the curtain.
    Thanks @haraya

Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    Darcy,

Thanks for the update! All hope is not lost, it seems. Are there plans (or even just tentative discussions) about material or colors to be used in the batch of non-zipper small shop bags? Or is it too premature for that?
    It's a good question, but a little early for us to share that. This answer will need to wait until May/June. Requests will be noted, but materials and production capacity constraints may prevent us from offering all of the options that are requested.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good question, but a little early for us to share that. This answer will need to wait until May/June. Requests will be noted, but materials and production capacity constraints may prevent us from offering all of the options that are requested.
    It is totally understandable that all fabric options may not be offered during the last run. However, I would like to add my voice that some of the 210 ballistic fabrics, especially grass and viridian, be included in this last hurrah of small shop bags but will be happy with whatever fabrics are used. Smilie
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Spring Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canyon, Dawn, Coyote, and Viridian.
    Smilie

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Canyon, Dawn, Coyote, and Viridian.
    Smilie
    And Black Halcyon! That's a great low-key color for commuters who want to bring home their groceries. I treasure my Black Halcyon Small Shop Bag.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

York, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the black halcyon ssb - think it would make a great pair with my NWS SSB.
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have about six and use them all the time, at least one EDC and often. I too worry what will happen when these wear out.

Please do limited runs of these in future!

Forum Member
    North Carolina
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all!

@backpack was right on. We expect that, sometime around mid-May to mid-June, we'll be ready to debut the following new designs:

1) A Shop Bag with a zipper closure in sizes Small and Large. There’s a third size we’re considering (well, really, it's more like debating at this point) that may or may not become a reality. This design has been much discussed for quite some time and the goal was to bring it to fruition at some point this year.

2) A new grocery/shopping-specific tote that Tom designed for himself. Right now, there’s three in existence: the one Tom has, and two samples he made for us to test. Cody has one and @moriond has the other.

And I do think we can squeeze in one more batch of the current non-zipper Small Shop Bag design and offer that for purchase as part of the tentatively planned mid-May to mid-June debut.

With the aforementioned new designs and other new designs in the works, we must retire existing designs. What makes the most sense is for us to retire designs that aren’t as popular as other designs, and the Small Shop Bag is in that category. We sometimes choose to offer special production runs of previously retired designs (the Little Swift, for example) when the following stars align:

1) It’s a design that we want to make again.
    2) It’s a design you want us to make again.
    3) It’s a design that doesn’t require special materials or components that we no longer have made for us.
    4) We’ve decided that we have the production capacity available to make the design.
    5) Other considerations dependent on the design in question and what else is going on in our delightfully complex small business.

Generally speaking, we aren’t able to offer advance notice of or promise special production runs of retired designs. For example: we wouldn’t want to put ourselves in a position of promising additional runs of the Small Shop Bag around the holidays that people may or may not want, and then find ourselves unable to make more of other designs that are more in demand.

I hope this makes sense / shares a little more insight into the rhyme and reason behind why we do what we do. And because we're especially busy right now with various projects, I may not be able to respond further in great detail, at least in a timely manner. Once we have more details about the new totes, I'll definitely share those. Smilie
    Thank you for the update, Darcy. I'm glad that there may be one more chance at a SSB and I'm really excited about the possibility of new designs, as well as their release date. I am going on vacation to Portland/Seattle at the end of June and plan to stop by TB for some in-person shopping. I think my visit to TB may be a bit more expensive than I had originally planned... Smilie

Forum Member
    The Carolinas
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We expect that, sometime around mid-May to mid-June, we'll be ready to debut the following new designs:

1) A Shop Bag with a zipper closure in sizes Small and Large. There’s a third size we’re considering (well, really, it's more like debating at this point) that may or may not become a reality. This design has been much discussed for quite some time and the goal was to bring it to fruition at some point this year.
    Darcy,

Again, I appreciate your information. Can you provide some clarification---the first part of your post suggests that all of the new designs will debut in mid-may to mid-june, but then the first subsection indicates "the goal was to bring it to fruition at some point this year." Is the first design you listed probably available in may/june or is it just hopefully ready in may/june but possibly later in the year? I acknowledge the nitpickiness of my question, but production time will have a major impact on my decision of waiting for new bags or looking at second-party options now. Also, will the first design you mentioned be exactly like current shop bags + zippers, or will it be different in other ways, too? I'm not asking to spoil the surprise if its very different...i'm just trying to plan my purchases Smilie

Thanks again!

Nor Cal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my. So long ago I wished for a light weight zipper top TB shopping bag to bring along on trips as a "my shopping eyes got too big for my bag" times.

Plus a debut of something else for my regular daily/grocery shopping?

I'm entering Tom Bihn anticipation coma. So excited!

The far west
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    I am going on vacation to Portland/Seattle at the end of June and plan to stop by TB for some in-person shopping.
    I'm glad you'll be coming by to visit us! If you want any Seattle tips/advice, let us know. Smilie

Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    Again, I appreciate your information. Can you provide some clarification---the first part of your post suggests that all of the new designs will debut in mid-may to mid-june, but then the first subsection indicates "the goal was to bring it to fruition at some point this year."
    Not nitpicky at all and I appreciate you asking for clarification. I do think the new designs will debut around mid-May to mid-June, but there's always the possibility they could be completed sooner (unlikely, as we like to take our time) or delayed (I'd say that's also very unlikely at this point, but we never rule out that possibility.... we've already had a new flash of inspiration today in regards to one of the designs!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ca1i View Post
    Oh my. So long ago I wished for a light weight zipper top TB shopping bag to bring along on trips as a "my shopping eyes got too big for my bag" times.
    Ha! "my shopping eyes got too big for my bag" = that's nearly every trip I make to the farmer's market or grocery store. The ZSSB that I'm testing came in very handy in just that instance yesterday -- I packed my avocados on top of the other items in the bag and zippered the top shut / didn't have to worry about the avocados rolling out.

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

The far west
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. Since we removed the Small Shop Bag specs from the website for the time being, here they are for convenience's sake:

Shop Bag Specs

External Dimensions
    Small: 11" x 10.25" x 6" / 280 x 260 x 150 mm
    Large: 13.25" x 12.5" x 7.25" / 340 x 320 x 185 mm

Weight
    Small: 5.2 oz / 150 grams
    Large: Weight: 6.4 oz / 185 grams

Handle Length
    Small: 19.5" / 495 mm
    Large: 26" / 660 mm

Total O-rings
    Small: 2 (2 in the main compartment)
    Large: 2 (2 in the main compartment)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is me, petiting with my discontinued petite 11 Cadet and SSB. Thank you my fellow shorties for making your voices heard. Thank you Darcy and TB fam for hearing us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arizona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of all the various shopping/tote bags I own, the one attribute that really stands out on the TB shopping bag is the cushioned handles.

Please don't change that whatever you do. Thanks in advance Smilie
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast