1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bye Small Shop Bag

I'm sad that I missed out on a Small Shop Bag in Viridian the last time it was sold, though I have to say, I use my large Shop Bags more. Now if the Pop Tote were made in Viridian I would be delighted!

I was going to offer my NWS shop bag up for swap a few months ago, but now I guess I'll only want to do so for another SSB.

How does everyone else feel about the SSB going away?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d been waiting to buy a couple since I’m brand new to Tom Bihn bags. This news hastened my decision. I’ve never seen either shop bag in person yet, but was thinking small might be a better size for my family. Hope I’m right, I’m jumping and grabbing a couple now.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it shocking! Not to mention a bummer. I thought everyone loved the small shop bag. I find it a lot more convenient than the large one.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I'm sad that I missed out on a Small Shop Bag in Viridian the last time it was sold, though I have to say, I use my large Shop Bags more. Now if the Pop Tote were made in Viridian I would be delighted!

I was going to offer my NWS shop bag up for swap a few months ago, but now I guess I'll only want to do so for another SSB.

How does everyone else feel about the SSB going away?
    +1 on this. I totally feel your pain. When the shop bags were introduced in the 210 ballistic, I bought both large and small in Canyon and Dawn, thinking I would acquire the other colors later on and as budget permitted. I thought I had learned my lesson to purchase the item/items when available, but it seems that I have not. Bummed about the retirement of the SSB. I used them quite frequently. Sometimes I don't need the large size and the small is just perfect. But trying to think positively that maybe TB will introduce a new small size shop bag with a zippered top.
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting a UV or Iberian Synapse

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    +1 on this. I totally feel your pain. When the shop bags were introduced in the 210 ballistic, I bought both large and small in Canyon and Dawn, thinking I would acquire the other colors later on and as budget permitted. I thought I had learned my lesson to purchase the item/items when available, but it seems that I have not. Bummed about the retirement of the SSB. I used them quite frequently. Sometimes I don't need the large size and the small is just perfect. But trying to think positively that maybe TB will introduce a new small size shop bag with a zippered top.
    I've used my large ones 99% of the time. I only used the small one for returning books to the library.

But a zippered top sounds like a wonderful idea. Fingers crossed.
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have more of the small than the large...I'd rather have a load balanced between two smalls/two arms than one big load dragging me off balance. Now that I also have two Pop Totes, I'd probably use those (more) instead of the large Shop Bags...

EDIT: I have Canyon, Grass, and Steel SSBs already... just ordered Island, NWS, and Wasabi. Three per hand!
    Last edited by G42; 02-12-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The large is far too big for my purposes so the retirement is bad news for me Bye Small Shop Bag

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm completely stunned at this news. That is one of the most useful bags I own. I have three Small Shop Bags, and also one in large, which I use much less frequently. For anyone in an urban environment the Small Shop Bag is far more practical, and it can be folded up and kept in reserve until needed.

The Small Shop Bag I value the most is the one in black, which for reasons I don't understand was just a limited edition. It is the perfect stealth bag for use during commuting. I wonder if more shop bags would have been sold if the black had been included regularly as an option, along with all the bright colors.

It does seem that many of the small size items are going away. The Little Swift. The Smart Alec. The Small Shop Bag. The smallest of the "three" travel bags -- the Western Flyer -- which while not discontinued yet is more or less orphaned as far as improvements or accessories go. I guess those of us who are shorter-statured, and/or live in environments that involve train and bus commuting versus driving everywhere, are in the minority.

This is the Brookesia micra, one of the smallest chameleons in the world. It lives in Madagascar. Isn't it cute?

Bye Small Shop Bag-brookesia2-jpg

This is one of the largest lizards. The Komodo dragon. For comparison's sake. I don't think it gets a lot of compliments on its looks. Just saying...

Bye Small Shop Bag-komodo-jpg
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-12-2018 at 04:20 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh gosh you are all making me realise that pretty soon I will be grocery shopping without a stroller and when that sad day comes I will probably want smaller bags too for the walk home! Bye Small Shop Bag Hmm... maybe tomorrow night I will get a couple more if there are any left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bye Small Shop Bag

I wish I had gotten more of the colors in the SSB as well as the TSS. I have three SSB (UV, Black and Nordic) and one LSB (Island) and find both sizes useful. Iíve used the LSB as a laundry bag and the SSB for everything from carrying my lunch to...well, everything else. Gonna miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Go forward and never lose sight of your dream."

LCB: Navy/Cayenne; SSB: UV & Black Halcyon; LSB: Island; BB: Black; SC: Navy; Swift: Black/Steel; LS: Aubergine/Island; SE: Original Halcyon/Wasabi & Nordic Halcyon/UV; COW: Aubergine; TSS: Steel, Iberian & UV; YSS: Island & Iberian; Pilot: Black/Wasabi; FJN: Grey & Navy; PCSB: Black Halcyon; TT: Monarch, Sitka, UV & Black.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I use my two SSBs more than any other bag. I've avoided the big shop bag because it's easier to carry two small bags than one big bag, especially when you're as short as I am. Going to order a couple of more SSBs before they're gone.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Having a Pop Tote makes it unnecessary to purchase a large shop bag, I think.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortie View Post
    I agree. Having a Pop Tote makes it unnecessary to purchase a large shop bag, I think.
    I think it all depends on what you want to carry. On one of my flights, I had my fully loaded Indigo S19 laying sideways in a large shop bag with my Side Effect, 311 bag, and some souvenirs. Here is a bad picture of it right before I shoved it under the seat in front. I know I could not fit that load into my Pop Tote. It always surprises me how much a shop bag will hold.

Bye Small Shop Bag-flight-home-jpg
    Looking for upper and lower modular pockets in original Nordic. Also coveting a UV or Iberian Synapse

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @bchaplin. The small shop bag is perfect for urban commuters. I always have one with me. Whereas the large shop bag seems like it takes up more space in my bag. Also it's just too big for me to carry and hits the ground (short people problems)

The large shop bag seems like it caters to people with cars. No offense. I just walk, bike, kick scoot, and transit everywhere. The small shop bag is perfect for people like me who make several trips a week to the grocery store rather than one large trip.

sad news.*

*I consoled myself by ordering an Iberian one
    Last edited by Rocks; 02-12-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOVE the Shop Bags and was happy to get the warning that the Smalls are being discontinued. I have at least three Smalls and ordered two more today.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast