Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Helsinki, Finland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Daylight always looks so huge, and I have a S19. But I did have a brainwave about the Luminary. The MCB FS seems to fit in it, so what if it had its own FS? That would answer a lot of the internal organization gripes, and TB wouldn’t have to design a new bag. I feel like if he designed a FS for the Luminary, everyone would win. Well, those of us that need a smaller backpack!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robw,

Thanks for starting the thread. I agree with you, both about a Synapse 30 or 35 being too big for that style of backpack and the desire for Tom Bihn to make a clamshell style 35L bag. I just finished a four day trip using an A30 and S19. I really wanted to put everything in one bag, but the A30 is just a bit too small. I also need a bag-in-bag solution because of the small aircraft I travel in. There are no overhead compartments and no space under the seats. Most of my stuff needs to go in a cargo hold but I need to have a bag to bring with me in the cabin so I can stay productive. Iíve been on the hunt for a clamshell style one bag travel solution that will fit all of the things I need to bring on frequent short trips (that list is a bit eclectic, but thatís the topic for another post). Iím seriously considering a Tri Star (I actually just offered my A45 in trade for a Tri Star in the Bag Swap thread) but Iíve also been looking at Tortugaís Setout and Arcido Akra. If Tortuga made a 35L Setout, I would buy it right now. I love the curvier profile, more robust backpack straps, contoured back, and organization.

Iím getting the feeling TB is about to announce new styles and maybe even new colors, as the interior color selection has been static for a while. Hopefully, we can influence their work.

Thanks again!

SPODA

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plainsong View Post
    The Daylight always looks so huge, and I have a S19. But I did have a brainwave about the Luminary. The MCB FS seems to fit in it, so what if it had its own FS? That would answer a lot of the internal organization gripes, and TB wouldn’t have to design a new bag. I feel like if he designed a FS for the Luminary, everyone would win. Well, those of us that need a smaller backpack!
    The Daylight Backpack is essentially a Packing Cube Backpack for Tristar/Western Flyer which has been "stretched" to look more trapezoidal, than rectangular, with two inner pockets, in the main compartment to organize and pack an ultra light load.

It is perfect to pack extra layers when touristing, shopping, short walk to a public park/library/community center with or without small electronic, notebook or art book and small art/writing supplies. If a cafe or pastry shop stop is not planned, snacks and beverage can be added.

The extra layers of clothing can be folded and packed in the back pockets to provide cushion.

Alternatively, one of the back pocket can be reserved for small electronic (I always use Padded Pouches), while folded clothing in a Travel Stuff Sack, placed in the base of the main pocket, cushions everything else.

Speaking of Travel Stuff Sacks, Travel Cubelets, Cubelets, 3D Cubes and SE, they can organize, add pockets/customize the PCBP, without adding much weight.
    The Q-Kit don't have the streamlined footprint of the accessories above but, they are so small, they fit everywhere.

In addition to the Halcyon and EDC Ballistic accessories above, I need to test the fit of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, its clear pocket are a wonder to bring order to any bag. It will determine which ultra light Aether Packing Cube fits.

Much to my surprise, a Packing Cube Backpack was able to be a great Packing Cube then, take over the S19 duties, on a recent trip.

The accessories inside the PCBP provide the stability (everything stays in its place) that the S19 padded back and multiple pockets provide.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-25-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debate: New Backpack Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by plainsong View Post
    I feel like if he designed a FS for the Luminary, everyone would win. Well, those of us that need a smaller backpack!
    I think the FS for the MCB fits well in the Luminary. Maverick did a review video where he used this solution and it looks like it works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqBZzLer4Uw&sns=em
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    ďNot all those who wander are lost.Ē - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would make sense for TB to make a A35 or a synapse 32 for us bigger people. I would love to see the Tristar in a 30L bag without the water bottle pocket also.

Minnesota - Land of 10,000 Seasons
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    I think the FS for the MCB fits well in the Luminary. Maverick did a review video where he used this solution and it looks like it works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqBZzLer4Uw&sns=em
    I can attest to this. The MCB Freudian Slip fits the Luminary like it was made for it! Even when the FS is in use, there is still room for my MacBook 12" in a Cache in the main compartment, and even an iPad Pro(9.7" in a case) in the back side pocket! The FS also fits the Pop Tote like a glove, so it is easy to switch between that and the Luminary as needed!
    On an Epic Quest for the Perfect Bag...

One Bag to rule them all, One Bag to find them,
    One Bag to carry them all and in the aircraft bind them...

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for linking Maverick's wonderful video, very informative, as always.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking for something a little different. My dream would be a small-to-medium (say, 12-19 L) backpack that can convert to a cross-body messenger bag. I'm not sure how exactly this would be done, but if anyone could figure it out, I imagine this is the place.

I walk a lot on a day-to-day basis, usually carrying a 12-inch Macbook, a 9.7-inch iPad pro with keyboard cover, a 25 oz. water bottle, often a light sweater or rain coat, and a small range of accessories and odds and ends. It's not a ton - most days I can squeeze it into a Daylight Briefcase, and when I need more space I go with my Stowaway or my Daylight Backpack. But it's got some decent weight to it when fully loaded, and so I really value the ability to switch between multiple modes of carry.

I've got a Western Flyer that I love, but it's too big for around-town carry. And I like the Stowaway for this purpose, but it's not quite my dream bag. Part of it is that if I want to switch between modes, I need to remove or add the shoulder strap, which is easy but not seamless.

What I'm imagining is something with stowable backpack straps like the Western Flyer, but more like the DLBP in size and set up in such a way that (a) each strap can be stored or kept out separately and (b) the straps are designed in such a way that they'd be comfortable in backpack mode or messenger mode. I have no idea if that's possible, but that's what I (think I) want to try someday.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    I'm looking for something a little different. My dream would be a small-to-medium (say, 12-19 L) backpack that can convert to a cross-body messenger bag. I'm not sure how exactly this would be done, but if anyone could figure it out, I imagine this is the place.
    Like the small bag of Hero's Journey?

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    Actually a 22 L Stowaway without the weird strap contraption would be close.
    That might be a sweet spot for the Stowaway, I don't think the Stowaway is different enough from the Pilot in capacity and organization, and certainly not large enough to require backpack carry for anyone but the smallest people.

I would be interested in a Western Flyer with some kind of zip-apart ability. Basically a front half that functions like the DLBC, and a back half that works as a PCBP. The backpack portion would be an interesting design opportunity for the different materials and colors, too. The in-between space would also make a handy place to carry flat files or papers that some of us are currently stuffing in the backpack strap pocket.

Forum Member
    Helsinki, Finland
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacharissa View Post
    I can attest to this. The MCB Freudian Slip fits the Luminary like it was made for it! Even when the FS is in use, there is still room for my MacBook 12" in a Cache in the main compartment, and even an iPad Pro(9.7" in a case) in the back side pocket! The FS also fits the Pop Tote like a glove, so it is easy to switch between that and the Luminary as needed!
    Yeah I saw that video, and it was very helpful. That there isn't a FS for the Luminary yet won't prevent me from getting one. It's just that if there was a FS specifically for it, it'd go all the way to the top, make use of all the space there. Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd very much like to see a larger Luminary and Synapse (the 19), in the 22L range, with a length of about 17.5 -18.5.... The current versions are too small and the S25 is way to large.

Nina
    Long term lurker, rookie poster

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robw View Post
    Hi all

By the looks of it Tom and crew are working on some new bags. Thought i would add in what I would like to see - feel free to chip in with what you guys want.

Iíve seen some threads asking for a S30 or s35. Whilst they look cool (and I love my s25 and S19)I think they would be too deep when including the waterbottle pocket and make the bag awkward to travel. Also anything over 9 inches deep makes it too be for airplane travel.

Ideally I would like something 7 inches deep so it can be used on European flights easily - maybe something that can extend to 9 for packing more stuff when a flight not required.

I also love the functionality of a clamshell.

Ideal bag for me, which would add to the TB range, would be something clamshell, the new lightweight frame sheets, easy to take laptop out at security checks, backpack straps which can be hidden, couple of quick access pockets and option of a shoulder strap. Could be in a 7 inch depth or 9 inch (or cinch straps varying between the 2). I also love the end pockets of a30/45 which can be internally divided allowing for shoes to be stored and the weight of shoes not bounce around and crease other clothes.

If TB could build that bag I would buy it straight away!

But what are your thoughts/wish list for new backpacks/travel bags?
    Thanks for giving voice to these ideas!

It is very interesting using to available images to make new concept bags. The mean of production already exists.
    This leads one to think that the ultimate in having input in design would be the "Design-a-Bag" website.
    It would to have a website with a stock set of pieces and parts of bag and let the Costumer design their own.

Would this circumvent the creativity that Tom and the other talented bag designers in the company?
    Is a direction they want the company to grow?
    I guess that would up to them to decide.

These images are all glommed together from the TomBihn.com web site. They will need to be tweaked for reality.

This concept bags have been posted else where in the Tom Bihn Forum
    (HomeForum TOM BIHN Forums General Bag Discussion 2018 Wish List post #153)

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post155085.

In an effort to add more organization for tech stuff here is the Western-Flyer / Aeronaut30. A possible name could be the Whynaut.

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachmen...ut30_front-jpg

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachmen...aut30_side-jpg

====

(HomeForum TOM BIHN Forums General Bag Discussion 2018 Wish List post #153)
    (Forum TOM BIHN Forums General Bag Discussion Synapse 30 or 35 post #19 & #28)

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post155085.

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post156873

This bag is a Brain Bag with an Aeronaut 45 end added on the bottom. Also it should have the addition of and internal frame. This would allow for carrying something like an extra pair of shoes and still maintain the one bag travel schema. A good name for this bag would the EDJ "Every Day Journey".

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachmen...bb_a45_end-jpg

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachmen...ottom-side-jpg

====

(Forum TOM BIHN Forums General Bag Discussion Synapse 30 or 35 post #21)

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post156898

Here is a Brain Bag / Synapse25 that some other forum expressed an interest in as the Synapses 30. This derivation could be enhanced by having the bottom zip compartment extend into what would have been the main compartment of the synapses 25 but not into the back Brain Bag compartment. Also it should have the addition of and internal frame.

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachmen...25-bb-side-png

====

Here is a new Cadet / Daylight / Western Flyer concept. The name could the AirAce. It would be size and organized like the Cadet but with slash for a water bottle instead of the small zip pocket. There would the addition of the zipped back panel for backpack straps. This would make it a 4-way carry (shoulder, backpack, briefcase & on the stem of a rolly bag).
    Attached Images Attached Images Debate: New Backpack Ideas-cadet-new-front-jpg  Debate: New Backpack Ideas-cadet-new-back-jpg 

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agustus View Post
    Like the small bag of Hero's Journey?
    Interesting - I'd never really looked at that before because the HJ has always been out of my budget / use case. It's a good size / shape, but I'd want something with a bit more organization. The cadet / western flyer hybrid that someone's just posted would be closer. The thing I'd still love to see if it's possible is for the backpack straps to be designed in such a way that one of them could be on its own as a cross-body strap. That'd save the weight / hassle of carrying around a separate shoulder strap when in backpack mode.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Interesting - I'd never really looked at that before because the HJ has always been out of my budget / use case. It's a good size / shape, but I'd want something with a bit more organization. The cadet / western flyer hybrid that someone's just posted would be closer. The thing I'd still love to see if it's possible is for the backpack straps to be designed in such a way that one of them could be on its own as a cross-body strap. That'd save the weight / hassle of carrying around a separate shoulder strap when in backpack mode.
    They had those one strap backpacks/sling packs a couple years ago, like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assault-bac.../dp/B076B3WWVW

I wonder if it could be possible to attach the straps top left - bottom left, top right - bottom right in the backpack mode and top left - bottom right mode for the sling option?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast