Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in college, cough cough, hack, accidentally spits false teeth out. Pick up false teeth off TV tray and put them back in my mouth. When I was in college, back in the previous millennium, we didn't carry our coffee or drinks with us. We drank out of the moldy water fountain, and we were glad to have it. It beat scooping water out of the horse trough.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 03-12-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by npoerbo View Post
    For my case it's the amount of stuff that I normally carry comfortably, not merely a particular item. I'm a grad student and alwats have my laptop, files, some binders, tablet, a jacket, lunch (and sometimes breakfast too) , a (small nalgene), coffee tumbler, and some other whatnots. They fit in the S19 except the tumbler of course since the synapse is designed for only 1 liquid container. A larger size (22) will be perfect. The s25 is too large particularly in the torso area. I'm 5'3".

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    All that (except the tumbler) fits in an S19?!? On paper that sounds like a Brain Bag load to me. Must be small binders and a small jacket.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my case it's the amount of stuff that I normally carry comfortably, not merely a particular item. I'm a grad student and alwats have my laptop, files, some binders, tablet, a jacket, lunch (and sometimes breakfast too) , a (small nalgene), coffee tumbler, and some other whatnots. They fit in the S19 except the tumbler of course since the synapse is designed for only 1 liquid container. A larger size (22) will be perfect. The s25 is too large particularly in the torso area. I'm 5'3".

I put my small nalgene (500ml/16oz) in the side pocket of my S19 leaving the water bottle pocket free for my coffee. Depends what else you're carrying tho I guess Debate: New Backpack Ideas

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    When I was in college, cough cough, hack, accidentally spits false teeth out. Pick up false teeth off TV tray and put them back in my mouth. When I was in college, back in the previous millennium, we didn't carry our coffee or drinks with us. We drank out of the moldy water fountain, and we were glad to have it. It beat scooping water out of the horse trough.
    I was in that weird generation 1995-2000 where we carried coffee in reusable insulated tumblers (because coffee should be HOT) but didn't carry water bottles with us, unless we were playing sports or something.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was even 20 years before that. Nobody carried coffee with them. You went to a diner and drank it there. And forget about portable water. I drank water when I got home from my classes. I survived just fine.

If you did see someone with a Thermos, they most likely had booze in it.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 03-12-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My reason is similar since I'm also 5'3". Based on the dimensions, the S19 will fit me so much better than the S25 and be more comfortable to carry, but I would like a little extra room when I travel so that I'm not tempted to completely stuff the S19.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly S View Post
    I was in that weird generation 1995-2000 where we carried coffee in reusable insulated tumblers (because coffee should be HOT) but didn't carry water bottles with us, unless we were playing sports or something.
    Even with the ubiquity of microwave ovens I often carry a Thermos to work containing hot broth (for ramen), hot soup or dhal.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    We did not carry water bottles or drinks of any sort around when I was in college either (a very long time ago) - but my students all have water bottles hanging off of their backpacks. I sort of laugh at the idea they cannot go for 50 minutes without liquid lest dehydration ensue. But the first couple of cars that I bought myself did not have cup holders either - let alone 2 for every passenger like it seems most cars have now.

Forum Member
    Bettendorf, IA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    I vote for a bag in the 21-22 L range that looks and functions like the WF with it’s tuck away backpack straps.

Actually a 22 L Stowaway without the weird strap contraption would be close. Three compartments, one for clothing, one for a laptop and one with various organization with tuck away backpack straps, a carry handle and a shoulder strap.
    I love how many people are asking for something like this. A rectangular backpack/briefcase combination with hide away straps would be incredible.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    To anyone wanting a mythical S22 over a S19: what item doesn't fit in the S19 and which dimension(s) would have to change to fit it?
    Everything I want to carry for a weekend away, or day’s photo excursion, fits in the S19. Just not at the same time. Or not without a LOT of Tetris-like planning. When I first got my S19 I test packed for a trip and was pleased that most everything fit. But when I realized I needed an extra camera lens, the bag was too small.

I tried the S25 but it’s huge. And it’s bigger that what is allowed as a personal item on most airlines.
    Last edited by Traveltech; 03-12-2018 at 03:02 PM.
    Synik 22, Truck, Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC HLT2, Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The s25 is too large particularly in the torso area. I'm 5'3".

Try the internal frame with the S25! I got one for my tall daughter and tried it on, and was amazed what a difference the frame sheet made in the comfort level for me at 52.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color EEK! 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm anxiously awaiting the expanded Luminary but I have to say the I just flew with the Pop Tote and it worked out fantastic. The Co-Pilot has been my go to carry on bit it's a bit small for trips to Indonesia. I carried it around Seattle with a shoulder strap attached to the side pocket O rings and also just with the closer built-in handle over my shoulder. Either way was just grand. Of course the organization of the Co Pilot is better but I'm planning on taking the Pop Tote to Indonesia in April and my loyal Co-Pilot will be staying home.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that I am between sizes for a decent sized backpack. I am also 5.3 and the S19 is a little small and the S25 too big. I guess more outer pockets would be useful for water, jacket, and 13 inch laptop

Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who is 5'0" but also an adult, I find backpacks frustrating. Currently there seem to be three categories of backpack:
    1. wonderfully-short bags that carry a little (10-19L)
    2. long bags that carry a moderate amount (25-26L)
    3. long bags that carry a ton (31L+)

I would LOVE to see something with a short (around 16") length, 21-26L capacity, and great pockets. Heart Eyes

Suggestion the First: A wider S19. My S19 (16" x 11.4" x 7.9") is the perfect height for my torso length, fits better than any backpack I've owned, and has outstanding, thoughtfully laid-out pockets. It is my preferred EDC now that I no longer carry my work laptop everywhere. However, at 11.4", the S19 is only a smidge wider than the Sprout (11"), a bag that was meant for young children.

Making the S19 10-15% wider, without changing any other dimensions, would take it up to 16" x 12.54"-13.11" x 7.9", and would add a few more liters of capacity WITHOUT lengthening the bag. The S2x would retain the S19's fantastic pocket layout and would still look basically like an S19 (OK, maybe like an S19 that overdid it during the holidays). The S19 tends to draw itself into an even narrower cylindrical shape when full, so widening the bag a little would also help keep a full S2x from looking comically small from behind when worn.

Suggestion the Second: a smaller Brain Bag. My Brain Bag, on the other end of the spectrum, is 18.1" x 14" x 9.1". It is a great bag and has a ton of capacity, but it is BIG. Making the Brain Bag 10% smaller in all dimensions would bring it down to 16.3" x 12.6" x 8.2", with a capacity of maybe 26L. Since the overall proportions would not change, it would still look like the regular Brain Bag, just sized more like a (wider) S19 (looking at the numbers for both of my suggestions, I seem to have a preferred proportion in mind here).

Note that "smaller Brain Bag" is an idea that has been kicking around here for over a decade now). Since we no longer have to consider whether or not various sizes of sizes of the Brain Cell will fit in the Brain Bag, maybe we'll finally see something like this? Wink

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    As someone who is 5'0" but also an adult, I find backpacks frustrating. Currently there seem to be three categories of backpack:
    1. wonderfully-short bags that carry a little (10-19L)
    2. long bags that carry a moderate amount (25-26L)
    3. long bags that carry a ton (31L+)

I would LOVE to see something with a short (around 16") length, 21-26L capacity, and great pockets. Heart Eyes

Suggestion the First: A wider S19. My S19 (16" x 11.4" x 7.9") is the perfect height for my torso length, fits better than any backpack I've owned, and has outstanding, thoughtfully laid-out pockets. It is my preferred EDC now that I no longer carry my work laptop everywhere. However, at 11.4", the S19 is only a smidge wider than the Sprout (11"), a bag that was meant for young children.

Making the S19 10-15% wider, without changing any other dimensions, would take it up to 16" x 12.54"-13.11" x 7.9", and would add a few more liters of capacity WITHOUT lengthening the bag. The S2x would retain the S19's fantastic pocket layout and would still look basically like an S19 (OK, maybe like an S19 that overdid it during the holidays). The S19 tends to draw itself into an even narrower cylindrical shape when full, so widening the bag a little would also help keep a full S2x from looking comically small from behind when worn.

Suggestion the Second: a smaller Brain Bag. My Brain Bag, on the other end of the spectrum, is 18.1" x 14" x 9.1". It is a great bag and has a ton of capacity, but it is BIG. Making the Brain Bag 10% smaller in all dimensions would bring it down to 16.3" x 12.6" x 8.2", with a capacity of maybe 26L. Since the overall proportions would not change, it would still look like the regular Brain Bag, just sized more like a (wider) S19 (looking at the numbers for both of my suggestions, I seem to have a preferred proportion in mind here).

Note that "smaller Brain Bag" is an idea that has been kicking around here for over a decade now). Since we no longer have to consider whether or not various sizes of sizes of the Brain Cell will fit in the Brain Bag, maybe we'll finally see something like this? Wink
    That's a really interesting perspective.
    I've been trying to determine what my ideal pack size is... for me, within reason, I'm finding that it is the width that is making me more or less comfortable... I have a Luminary, S19, SA, and A30. I test packed the S25 and BB and felt that they are - for me - both too wide vs too tall.

I have some 20+L non-TB bags that I've used for the bulky work laptop and they are also not as wide as the S25 & BB.

It will be interesting to see what the new packs are in size/shape.
    Last edited by G42; 03-18-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast