Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    As someone who is 5'0" but also an adult, I find backpacks frustrating. Currently there seem to be three categories of backpack:
    1. wonderfully-short bags that carry a little (10-19L)
    2. long bags that carry a moderate amount (25-26L)
    3. long bags that carry a ton (31L+)

I would LOVE to see something with a short (around 16") length, 21-26L capacity, and great pockets. Debate: New Backpack Ideas_eyes:

Suggestion the First: A wider S19. My S19 (16" x 11.4" x 7.9") is the perfect height for my torso length, fits better than any backpack I've owned, and has outstanding, thoughtfully laid-out pockets. It is my preferred EDC now that I no longer carry my work laptop everywhere. However, at 11.4", the S19 is only a smidge wider than the Sprout (11"), a bag that was meant for young children.

Making the S19 10-15% wider, without changing any other dimensions, would take it up to 16" x 12.54"-13.11" x 7.9", and would add a few more liters of capacity WITHOUT lengthening the bag. The S2x would retain the S19's fantastic pocket layout and would still look basically like an S19 (OK, maybe like an S19 that overdid it during the holidays). The S19 tends to draw itself into an even narrower cylindrical shape when full, so widening the bag a little would also help keep a full S2x from looking comically small from behind when worn.

Suggestion the Second: a smaller Brain Bag. My Brain Bag, on the other end of the spectrum, is 18.1" x 14" x 9.1". It is a great bag and has a ton of capacity, but it is BIG. Making the Brain Bag 10% smaller in all dimensions would bring it down to 16.3" x 12.6" x 8.2", with a capacity of maybe 26L. Since the overall proportions would not change, it would still look like the regular Brain Bag, just sized more like a (wider) S19 (looking at the numbers for both of my suggestions, I seem to have a preferred proportion in mind here).

Note that "smaller Brain Bag" is an idea that has been kicking around here for over a decade now). Since we no longer have to consider whether or not various sizes of sizes of the Brain Cell will fit in the Brain Bag, maybe we'll finally see something like this? Wink
    I love this idea. Torso-wise I also prefer 16-18in, but the S19 is indeed too tight, and the s25 too big. On the other hand Brain Bag is not really my style (i don't like the front side organization) so I won't comment on its size(s).

Nina

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to see a more boring and square-type backpack, because it's important for me to always carry books, and the Synapse is not deep enough (with "deep", I mean if you put it on its backside, the vertical dimension) and tapers too much, so that book corners always snag on something. Here is a person who is having the same problem that I had with Synapse. I returned the S19 because its dimensions, including depth, were given in a misleading fashion, because the back of the pack folds slightly, and there is no way for _both_ width and depth to be the dimensions that were listed at the same time. S25 is just scaled in every direction, so there is not much more improvement, but it has a much more unwieldy height. So I find that Synapses are not good for anyone who wants to carry a book (or books) and not have it (them) become dog-eared at approximately 10x the usual speed. The Brain Bag looks really too overengineered and heavy in the pictures (haven't had a chance to see it in person). And the discontinued Smart Alec didn't have a wide enough opening for stuff to be accessible; it was basically a sack with some pockets on the sides. Not good for EDC, where you need to get stuff in and out easily.

So, a backpack that is not too high, that is, however, deeper (again, with "deep" meaning the vertical dimension if you lay the pack on its back), and doesn't taper too much.
    Last edited by myroslava; 03-20-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Forum Member
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Ferret View Post
    As someone who is 5'0" but also an adult, I find backpacks frustrating. Currently there seem to be three categories of backpack:
    1. wonderfully-short bags that carry a little (10-19L)
    2. long bags that carry a moderate amount (25-26L)
    3. long bags that carry a ton (31L+)

I would LOVE to see something with a short (around 16") length, 21-26L capacity, and great pockets. Heart Eyes
    Precisely. On the continuum between a Synapse and a cube (like, literal cube, same length in every dimension), we need something in-between.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with the comments of myroslava, npoerbo and Ms. Ferret as a petite person searching for my 'one' bag. I've looked at REI's flash 18 and flash 22 a few time because they have the general size and shape - basically a big cylinder or bag that is stuffable/packable I want and can be organized how I need. However, I want the Tom Bihn consstruction and build - something I know that can put up with abuse and a heavy load, plus is comfortable to carry

Forum Member
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This doesn't even have to do with whether one's petite or not. (I'm about 5'4", and I'm not sure whether that qualifies as "petite"). It's about having a backpack that accommodates both a certain type of things (books) and easy access to them (by virtue of not being too high) in EDC situations. If I want to have a pack that _can_ accommodate relatively a lot of stuff if need be but where I don't need to sink my arm up to the armpit to get out a book that I carry on a daily basis, what's so wrong with that? With all due respect, I think that the design process at TB, at least with regard to backpacks, is simply not based on keeping in mind the use case of people who need to carry books.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my A30 just came in. I had thought I had seen in a video before that there was a zipper inside the backpack strap compartment. It seemed odd since my A45 didnt have one. Sure enough, it's there... it gives access to the foam padding that's against your back when carrying the bag. I hope that that TB added this to be able to add an internal frame later similar to the hero's journey. I agree with some of the previous comments made, I want a city/hiking backpack that's has a good optional hip belt. I think the A30 is almost there it just needs that frame and nice hip belt. I think the buckel that is used to connect the backpack strap can be used to connect a hip belt and the hip belt can provide another buckel for the backpack strap to connect to. This setup would be ideal!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy-J View Post
    So my A30 just came in. I had thought I had seen in a video before that there was a zipper inside the backpack strap compartment. It seemed odd since my A45 didnt have one. Sure enough, it's there... it gives access to the foam padding that's against your back when carrying the bag. I hope that that TB added this to be able to add an internal frame later similar to the hero's journey.
    Whereas I hope that that zipper wasn't added for the internal frame sheet, because I really want to be able to use the upcoming frame sheet with my Forest Aeronaut! I am really looking forward to the Aeronaut frame sheet.

Forum Member 3rdCoastHighlander's Avatar
    Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This a a brilliant review. I little wider S19 would allow for the straps to be beefed up too. I'd be all over that.
    Synapse 19, Black Halcyon/Island with multiple organizer accessories. Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, 7-8 TB Shopping totes.
    Briggs & Riley CX Carry-on.
    "You can't have a narrow mind and a thick passport."- Pauline Frommer
    Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy-J
    So my A30 just came in. I had thought I had seen in a video before that there was a zipper inside the backpack strap compartment. It seemed odd since my A45 didnt have one. Sure enough, it's there... it gives access to the foam padding that's against your back when carrying the bag. I hope that that TB added this to be able to add an internal frame later similar to the hero's journey.

Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Whereas I hope that that zipper wasn't added for the internal frame sheet, because I really want to be able to use the upcoming frame sheet with my Forest Aeronaut! I am really looking forward to the Aeronaut frame sheet.
    The product description calls it out:
    "...the back panel is padded with 3/8" / 10mm thick closed-cell foam as well. Thanks to a zipper hidden inside the lining of the bag, the back panel foam is removable (or swappable) if you don't find you need it and want to save the weight/bulk."

I used that as a hiding spot for copies of my itinerary, passport, contacts, etc. and some extra cash (all in a ziplock) when I went to Ecuador for two weeks last fall.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    Good point! I would eventually like it to be able to go into my A45 as well and it doesn't have the zipper.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About two months ago I called customer service and was told that the frame sheet will fit into older Aeronauts. I'm guessing that the zipper isn't a requirement. I was thinking about picking up a second hand A45, and was worried about this. For other reasons I ended up going with a new A45.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the zip around travel packs that open suitcase like. (for example the Cotopaxi allpa) but they are too big. If the synapse 25 opened like that and had the organization features of the allpa but retained all the organization pockets it has now on the front it would be the perfect travel pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in love with the clever idea of the small Hero's Jouney backpack/personal item. I am hoping that Tom will sell these just by itself without the HJ backpack.

Or to have something like this on an Aeronaulth style 30litre back would be amazing. Travel with only one piece of handluggage is so common nowdays in Europe, so to have a carry on size onepiece with the ability to zip of sidebag&daypack all in one. I would buy it for sure!

Forum Member
    London, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travelled with my SA the other day and realised how I actually prefer it to my S25 for travel. It is better and easier to pack fully. But I don’t like the lack of easy / quick access pockets compared to the S25 and top loader design. But if the zip could be extended all way down to open clamshell and a couple of easy access pockets built into top of bag, this could be an awesome bag.

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree with this post. I would be seriously in the market for a 30-35litre bag (not too big but bigger than my SA). Laptop compartment close to the body. Main compartment opens clamshell. Some organisation. Great, stowable, backpack straps and hip belt (my SA fully packed can get uncomfortable).
    (Is the bag you want here a GoRuck?)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast