Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chase the the Perfect Bag for the Job. I still haven't found a ski backpack that I love or an excellent carry-on, but I have a perfect knitting bag (Swift) and a fantastic pack for short summer hikes.

I might destash bags when my needs have changed, I wasn't crazy about it to begin with, when I find something even better, or when I think someone else will love to have the bag. That sounds like I destash all the time. Generally I keep my bags because when a new need pops up, I'm happy to already have the right bag on-hand.

edited for clarity
    Last edited by twosandalz; 03-02-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I go a little nuts and buy one in every color. Then I feel guilty because I only use one of them and I've already taken the tags off and the return window is over.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Sometimes I go a little nuts and buy one in every color. Then I feel guilty because I only use one of them and I've already taken the tags off and the return window is over.
    Oh, my goodness, I do this, too, and not just with TB things. Everything has to be a set of ALL THE COLORS, even if the items are not sold as a set. My head just likes things to seem "complete," I guess.

NJ
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, it seems to be all about the colors. I’ve destashed many earlier TB purchases, mostly via eBay, to make way for a collection of Burnt Orange, Black Halcyon, and now Nordic Halcyon. I justify my crazed purchasing binges by saying that as an emergency planner/responder, I need all the bags to be able to organize my stuff so I can grab it at a moment’s notice Wink
    Eat well, travel often.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afreen View Post
    Oh, my goodness, I do this, too, and not just with TB things. Everything has to be a set of ALL THE COLORS, even if the items are not sold as a set. My head just likes things to seem "complete," I guess.
    I do this with shoes, shirts, pants, etc. If it fits and I like it, I must own in all the colors, too.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    I too like the idea of just one bag covering all types of travel/jobs, however, due to the quality/look of TB bags, that isnít going to happen.
    I tend to order a bag and then realise its either a bit too big or a bit too small, so I will sell the wrong sized bag, when I have got the replacement, for example I should have ordered a Western Flyer instead of a Tri Star.
    I ordered a Synapse 19 Grey/UV and realise its either too small or too stiff, so I ordered a Synapse 25 and use that instead. I would like to say I could fit everything into a S19, but at the moment thatís only in my dreams. So the S19 will be either traded/swopped or sold!.
    I use the Co Pilot every week, but still wonder if a Pilot would suit me better, but this is probably due to larger front pockets. I use it for overnight/ change of clothes and plane travel, but the have a problem that my toiletry bag is a tight fit.
    @Jaffa. I tried sending you a PM but says your mailbox is full.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do this with shoes, shirts, pants, etc. If it fits and I like it, I must own in all the colors, too.
    Oh, me, too! I have five colors of the same style shirt. Makes dressing much easier, at least.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahJaneMakes View Post
    Iíve been an avid one-bag traveler for years but have only recently become part of the Bihn-wagon as I work to trim my travel packs down and down. One trip with my Synapse 25 was enough to quash any last reservations I had about 25L travel. So now I am looking at my older bags and considering which pieces of our family luggage it is time to part with.

Iíd love to hear from the collective about what makes you keep a bag or part with it. I recently plied a favorite bag reviewer with this question too since he is a great proponent of #onebagtravel but obviously has MANY MANY bags. So what does he DO with them all? Which also has me wondering... why do we see particular styles of bag pop up for trade and resale over and over?

What do you do? Do you keep multiple bags for different travel and EDC purposes? I feel like Iíve been chasing the #onebagtorulethemall my whole life. But have found itís more like one bag to rule each activity.
    I had your question in the back of my head today as I removed my stash from storage and began to sort through it. I listed five for sale on eBay and I have a small stack of several bags and pouches remaining to list later. Many of these are duplicates: I don't need two S19s or SAs, so the unused ones were listed. One -- the Luminary -- is adorbs but just too small for my purposes. One I just don't use, ever, so I don't see the point in keeping it.

The EDC is still a mystery to me. Aside from what you're carrying, the big questions for the EDC seem to be

* Backpack or shoulder bag?

* Open cavern or organized pockets?

TB seems to have an answer for ALL of these questions, and I seem to have ALL of those answers remaining in my stash. SA for the backpack cavern, MB for the cavern shoulder bag. S25 with FS for organized backpack; Stowaway for organized shoulder bag.

I would love the simplicity of #onebagtorulethemall, but it's going to take me a while to get there!

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afreen View Post

I would love the simplicity of #onebagtorulethemall, but it's going to take me a while to get there!
    Despite being a total LOTR fan, I read that as "One Bag To Rule The Mall."

And actually, that kind of works.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite being a total LOTR fan, I read that as "One Bag To Rule The Mall."

And actually, that kind of works.
    For the #win!

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only re-homed two bags so far: a Super Ego (black/steel) and an S25 (black parapack). The first was just too big for me to use as a work bag--in fact, I once test packed it as a one bag for a 7-day vacation! The second was given away to make room for my new black Halcyon S25. I love the S25, but the parapack always made me nervous to treat roughly, and I am much less worried about the Halcyon. I didn't sell either of the bags. My sister has the Super Ego and my dad has the S25. I have told them they are free to do whatever they want with them, but if they want to get rid of them, they have to find them a good home (via sale, trade, or giving). Smilie

The "big" bags I have--since I cannot be bothered to count the packing cubes, stuff sacks, org pouches, etc.--are the A45, A30, S25, and two DLBPs. I use the A30 for leisure travel and the S25 for short leisure trips or for my computer/office stuff on business trips. One DLBP goes along as a day pack on most vacations.

Of those, I should probably give up one of the DLBPs. I have both a grey cordura and original black/white Dyneema. I seriously dislike the texture of cordura, but I love the color. I am not in love with the grid on Dyneema, but I love how smooth it is and how it doesn't catch on clothes. Maybe I will buy one in black Halcyon, and re-home both of them! (Enablers feel free to jump in here LOL)

I waver on the A45. It was my very first TB bag, and I bought it back in 2009 so it doesn't have the compression straps in the main compartment, nor the new zipper end-pocket separators. However, it does have the Portable Culture tag. To be honest, it gets used very, very rarely, but I'm sentimentally attached. I am curious to see if the soon to be released frame sheet will make me use it more.

TLDR: the two biggest factors for me in not keeping a bag are a size or fabric that doesn't work for me.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2