Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Color description?

Have been gazing at Mars red/canyon combo and think I might like it... however, I have a hard time without seeing the color in person even though I am staring at it on the screen.

Is Mars red to red what Alphaviolet is to purple? Or does it lean toward ketchup? Which is fine, though it sounds funny. It connects it to something I can picture.

Is it deeper rather than brighter? Both deep and bright? Any help is appreciated.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    Have been gazing at Mars red/canyon combo and think I might like it... however, I have a hard time without seeing the color in person even though I am staring at it on the screen.

Is Mars red to red what Alphaviolet is to purple? Or does it lean toward ketchup? Which is fine, though it sounds funny. It connects it to something I can picture.

Is it deeper rather than brighter? Both deep and bright? Any help is appreciated.
    It isn't quite as bright as in photos. It's more like ketchup.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I really really like Mars Red with Canyon.
    I bought a second SK specifically to get that combo... the tones go incredibly well together. I also have a Mars Red Pop Tote, Cubelet, and Travel Cubelet.

I don't normally like red at all, but this shade really appeals to me... To me, it's not bright like valentine's day or cherry or apple, but a deeper shade with more black in it than white... it's closer to cranberry red to my eyes. The deeper colour that would also look good with the dark holly green for Xmas (but doesn't scream Xmas by itself)
    I'm assuming you have something Tom Bihn already... take a look at the sewn on plane logo... Mars is definitely darker than the red used in the plane...

Hope this perspective helps... let's see what everyone says - colour is so personal!

EDIT: Oh, you can also ask TB Customer Service for a colour swatch. Every colour I've seen so far seems brighter on the screen than in person, partly due to the lighting of course and also in person the texture affects the colour more than in the photos - to me at least.
    Last edited by G42; 03-01-2018 at 11:25 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both! Yes, color is subjective, but I do appreciate the comparisons and images and find them a help!

KmK

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Mars Red/Canyon is fabulous, so much so that I have a Brain Bag, Side Kick, and Side Effect in that colorway. In comparing it to cardinal ballistic, it isnít as red, but to my eyes seems to be more tempered with a little orange. I wouldnít have noticed that except for comparing them side by side, because by itself, Mars Red looks very red to me. I would say itís both deep and bright; itís definitely not dull. But as Cristina said, itís not as bright as in the pictures. And G42ís suggestion of getting swatches is great. I did that before I purchased items in the new 525/210 ballistic to see it in real life.

Also, Mars Red goes so well with Canyon, that I am sad to see Canyon will be discontinued. So if you think you would like that combo, get it while you still can. As weíve seen recently, items (or colors) can quickly be discontinued, and you donít want any regrets on missing out. Just my two cents ...
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    In person, the Mars Red has an orange-red tone. It looks stunning with Canyon. elisa

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask TB for color swatches and they'll drop them in the mail to you.

I'd say Mars Red is a bit redder than ketchup, but it's close. It's very pretty.

I bought a SK and a SE just to get the Mars Red / Canyon combination in bags I'll know I'll use. I love that color combination.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @KmK,

I'd say that the pictures @Awbee posted in the Sick Kicks + Cubelets in New 525 Ballistic Colors thread are pretty accurate, including the ones of the Mars Red/Canyon color combination. I'll excerpt just one of the many pictures in that thread:

As others have said, Mars Red tends to look too bright on its product page. Here's another early photo comparison that I posted to give people a sense of Mars Red:

In this picture, the fabrics to the left of the Mars Red color swatch are Cardinal Ballistic Nylon, 500d Crimson Cordura, the red nylon of the First Aid Pouch pouchkins, and Iberian Halcyon, followed by a Mars Red 525d Ballistic Nylon fabric swatch. The original Ballistic Nylon Crimson, was brighter than Cardinal, but not quite as bright as the First Aid Pouch (but I don't have any small accessories in this color, just large bags). You can see that the Mars Red fabric swatch is darker than the Cardinal Red. I'll just state that the people who ordered the first set of Mars Red bags and were disappointed in the color, basically were hoping for a bright red like that of the First Aid Pouches or the old Crimson Ballistic Nylon. The darker Mars Red tone works really well with Canyon as a contrasting color.

My pictures don't have the absolute color accuracy of @Ilkyway's photos or those of some other posters, but they may help you with the relative color comparisons.

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 03-01-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great! Thank you So Much to each one for taking the time to answer! I appreciate it!

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its funny how we see color differently. I don't see it as ketchup at all, I see it more of an orange red, not a pure or deep red. The pictures I see of it are very different than what I see when I look at my Mars Red Cubelet.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    Its funny how we see color differently. I don't see it as ketchup at all, I see it more of an orange red, not a pure or deep red. The pictures I see of it are very different than what I see when I look at my Mars Red Cubelet.
    @sturbridge,

I don't see Mars Red as "ketchup" red either -- not quite an orange red, but has more hints of brown in its coloring, which works well with Canyon. It is certainly not a "pure" red.

moriond

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, Mars Red and Canyon are like soulmates - such a great pairing. I don’t love Canyon on its own but with Mars Red or Deep Blue... drool. (Okay, fine, it’s great with Olive too, but that combo reminds me of a rival football team so I can’t get behind that one. ) I’ll be sad to lose it as an interior option.

To me Mars Red looks like fire-engine red on my monitor but a bit orange/brick red in real life. I like it very much, but I wouldn’t call it a true or pure red - it’s a bit more complex than that.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    To me Mars Red looks like fire-engine red on my monitor but a bit orange/brick red in real life. I like it very much, but I wouldn’t call it a true or pure red - it’s a bit more complex than that.
    A bit of "brick red" IRL is a good description, I think, and much better than "orange".

moriond

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most accurate description I've seen of it is tomato paste red. It's a rich color. Even my fancy pants new laptop doesn't render it accurately. You can request a swatch from TB's fantabulous customer service if you still feel unsure about it.

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How bold is the Mars Red? I also love it with Canyon, but I'm not sure if it will be very versatile if I get it in a Side Kick. I don't normally wear a lot of bright colors, but I don't want it to look out of place if I happen to be wearing something that is less neutral.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast