Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ordered Medium Cafe Bag

I just pulled the trigger on a Medium Cafe Bag (MCB) in blue 525 ballistic with the canyon color interior. Blue and gold....ex-Navy guy, ok? This will be my second TB bag purchase. (Please tell me I'm not addicted.)

I'm still a little leery of the Duraflex clasp on this bag because I generally don't like them much, but other posts here, esp. one by one of the Bihn people explaining the virtues of the larger clasp, lessened my concern about that.

Like any other bag, I won't know if this is a good fit until it gets here and I can put all my EDC stuff in it (or more) without a lot of fussing around. I initially thought it was possibly too simple in design, but then I've had bags with too many zippers, compartments, cubbyholes, etc and I start to lose track of where I want stuff or where I put it!

Comments welcome on this bag, especially on the 525 ballistic....how do you like that fabric? I wanted a little structure but not the heavy duty Cordura.

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand why you would be reluctant to have this type of clasp but my husband and I find the MCB clasps are not like others that look similar. If that helps.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Small Cafe Bag in that color combo and I love it! Don't have a MCB in that color but do in a variety of others. The MCB is a very versatile bag and also does well under packed.

Forum Member
    CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got my new MCB in Mars! An understated lovely warm red. Nearly empty or full, this one looks great. I added a micro padded pouch for the Apple ear pods and a knitting tool pouch for the Apple Pencil and fountain pens. It holds the iPad Pro (both sizes with a keyboard) just fine. I also carry a full size Rhodia notepad, a file folder or two and a 22 oz hydroflask. I too, was dreading the clip, the flap and things falling out, none have been a problem thus far!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost purchased this bag for a trip to Rome a few months ago, but the lack of inventory pushed me toward the daylight briefcase (a wonderful alternative). My wife is very much still interested in the medium cafe bag, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts after you give it a try (post some pics too!).

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kipsgirl: That Mars color looks fantastic on the website. I shied away from it because I thought it might look too girly, yeah, I admit it! I really vacillated between in blue with the green interior, and blue with the gold interior. Both are great combinations.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alio View Post
    I almost purchased this bag for a trip to Rome a few months ago, but the lack of inventory pushed me toward the daylight briefcase (a wonderful alternative). My wife is very much still interested in the medium cafe bag, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts after you give it a try (post some pics too!).
    Will do Alio. I also looked hard at the daylight briefcase which seems like a great product.

Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    Comments welcome on this bag, especially on the 525 ballistic....how do you like that fabric? I wanted a little structure but not the heavy duty Cordura.
    I have the Small Cafe Bag in blue 525 with a grass interior, and I love the fabric and the color. The blue 525 has a slight iridescence to it in the right light, and I have found myself liking the color even more than I did when I first got it. The fabric has enough "give" to it to be flexible but enough rigidity to give the bag structure when it's not totally stuffed. It seems more scuff-proof than Halcyon, but I'm not sure why. In any case, I'm a big fan. I have an S19 in the same fabric and I love it, too, for all of the same reasons.
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new Medium Cafe Bag (MCB) arrived yesterday evening. I put a partial load in it today, and went out into a misty, off and on, light rainfall to deliver some papers to my tax lady.

Impressions: shoulder strap pretty good. Stays mostly in place on a somewhat slick jacket; strap easily adjustable and doesn't go out of adjustment. Grab handle is really handy when climbing into/out of vehicle. The color is darker than I would have preferred, although blue is my favorite. As others have reported, with this 525 ballistic (or whatever it is), it depends on what kind of light you're in. The lining color is almost like a canvas color. It goes nicely with the blue but I would have liked something a little more yellow/gold. However, it is easy to see stuff in the bag with this color, and it has a smooth texture which makes it easy to put things in and out.

The MCB has plenty of room in it. In one of the pictures, you see my Macbook 12 in a padded cover (the lime green edge), and in another I have both my iPad Air in the Apple cover plus the Macbook 12....still plenty of room. I have a couple of Bihn zipper bags in the MCB, attached to tethers. One is small and has insurance cards in it. The other is medium with a clear side, and has my first aid stuff in it. Right now I'm keeping my two checkbooks and some hearing aid supplies/tools in the front zipper pocket.

Ordered Medium Cafe Bag-img_0130-jpgOrdered Medium Cafe Bag-img_0138-jpgOrdered Medium Cafe Bag-img_0129-jpgOrdered Medium Cafe Bag-img_0137-jpg
    Last edited by Go Navy; 03-21-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me add that the interior may look a little crowded in the pictures, but it isn't, even with both devices in there. There's still more room, front to back, and side to side.

Also, the 525 fabric has just enough structure, but not too much. My Co-Pilot has the heavy cordura which stands up on its own. The MCB doesn't quite do that, but it holds its shape pretty well and feels protective.

Bihn's attention to details: The male end of the clasp doesn't flop over when detached, as you'll note in one of the pictures above. This really makes its function so much more convenient. At first you don't even notice that little detail.
    Last edited by Go Navy; 03-21-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for posting these great pictures. I am looking for an EDC that will take my Ipad Air. I was hoping a SCB would be right, but I see it would be a tight fit for my device. I like 5he smaller one as I am 163cm tall, but it would be better to get one that would fit all my needs.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JossB View Post
    Thank you for posting these great pictures. I am looking for an EDC that will take my Ipad Air. I was hoping a SCB would be right, but I see it would be a tight fit for my device. I like 5he smaller one as I am 163cm tall, but it would be better to get one that would fit all my needs.
    JossB, I do carry my iPad Air 2 in a keyboard case in a SCB sometimes. It fits, though it's snug side to side. I still have room for other stuff in front of the iPad, though.

Montana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    My new Medium Cafe Bag (MCB) arrived yesterday evening. I put a partial load in it today, and went out into a misty, off and on, light rainfall to deliver some papers to my tax lady.

Impressions: shoulder strap pretty good. Stays mostly in place on a somewhat slick jacket; strap easily adjustable and doesn't go out of adjustment. Grab handle is really handy when climbing into/out of vehicle. The color is darker than I would have preferred, although blue is my favorite. As others have reported, with this 525 ballistic (or whatever it is), it depends on what kind of light you're in. The lining color is almost like a canvas color. It goes nicely with the blue but I would have liked something a little more yellow/gold. However, it is easy to see stuff in the bag with this color, and it has a smooth texture which makes it easy to put things in and out.

The MCB has plenty of room in it. In one of the pictures, you see my Macbook 12 in a padded cover (the lime green edge), and in another I have both my iPad Air in the Apple cover plus the Macbook 12....still plenty of room. I have a couple of Bihn zipper bags in the MCB, attached to tethers. One is small and has insurance cards in it. The other is medium with a clear side, and has my first aid stuff in it. Right now I'm keeping my two checkbooks and some hearing aid supplies/tools in the front zipper pocket.

Ordered Medium Cafe Bag-img_0130-jpgOrdered Medium Cafe Bag-img_0138-jpgOrdered Medium Cafe Bag-img_0129-jpgOrdered Medium Cafe Bag-img_0137-jpg
    Great pics! I love the Deep Blue/Canyon combo. I have the same MacBook cover. The pop of green against the gray is fun!
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW