Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling lost in choice!

Hi all,

I'm the current owner of an ageing Ego which I've had for several years. I am looking at replacing it and had thought i'd landed on a choice of either the Synapse 19 or 25. Now I'm not so sure about the 'backpack' look in my corporate world. Anyone made the transition from 'briefcase / messenger bag' to backpack?

Ideally I'm after an EDC bag that will accommodate gym gear (gym shoes, toiletries, towel, change of clothes), Surface pro, lunch and water-bottle.

I'm contemplating the Stowaway or Pilot but think both will be too small? Can anyone prove me wrong? At the other end, I'm looking at the tri-star or WF but think these will be massive for what I need...?

Am I best to wait to see if Tom extends the existing product range??

Have gone round and round and round on this. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Matt
    Last edited by matt77; 03-16-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt77 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm the current owner of an ageing Ego which I've had for several years. I am looking at replacing it and had thought i'd landed on a choice of either the Synapse 19 or 25. Now I'm not so sure about the 'backpack' look in my corporate world. Anyone made the transition from 'briefcase / messenger bag' to backpack?

Ideally I'm after an EDC bag that will accommodate gym gear (gym shoes, toiletries, towel, change of clothes), Surface pro, lunch and water-bottle.

I'm contemplating the Stowaway or Pilot but think both will be too small? Can anyone prove me wrong? At the other end, I'm looking at the tri-star or WF but think these will be massive for what I need...?

Am I best to wait to see if Tom extends the existing product range??

Have gone round and round and round on this. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Matt
    There’s a real gap in the lineup here as you’ve highlighted between the pilot and western Flyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I have both an S19 and an S25, and I think the S25 would fit the bill. The S19 is rather compact and while your Surface isn't a large device, there probably isn't room in the S19 for all of the things you're looking to stuff inside. You'd be OK with an S25.

I won't know what sort of setting you work in, but I work in the corporate offices of a Fortune 100 company and a large percentage of my colleagues carry backpacks. I bought the S25 in black Halcyon and it fits in quite well in my workplace. Not too formal, not too informal.

I have a Stowaway and I think it would prove too small for what you're trying to fit inside. Can't speak for the Pilot but I imagine the same is true. Also, I don't know if you travel but I find the lack of a luggage passthrough on the Stowaway to be a major flaw.

Good luck in your hunt
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the thoughts on the Synapse 25! I work in NZ in the agri-tech sector so like you, a backpack I think would be ok but its more stuffy ol' me that is hankering after something more formal :-)

I do travel and forgot to post that bit too. Maybe 2 x overnight trips domestically a year, and then maybe 1 x international week long trip trip per year.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d waited wait a bit. Its been hinted that they’re coming up with something in the 20-21 L size.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    I’d waited wait a bit. Its been hinted that they’re coming up with something in the 20-21 L size.
    Whoa whoa whoa. Where???

And when???

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to ask your height? With the S25 and being 5ft6 (165cm), I want to avoid look like I have a house on my back if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by chaimonkey View Post
    I have both an S19 and an S25, and I think the S25 would fit the bill. The S19 is rather compact and while your Surface isn't a large device, there probably isn't room in the S19 for all of the things you're looking to stuff inside. You'd be OK with an S25.

I won't know what sort of setting you work in, but I work in the corporate offices of a Fortune 100 company and a large percentage of my colleagues carry backpacks. I bought the S25 in black Halcyon and it fits in quite well in my workplace. Not too formal, not too informal.

I have a Stowaway and I think it would prove too small for what you're trying to fit inside. Can't speak for the Pilot but I imagine the same is true. Also, I don't know if you travel but I find the lack of a luggage passthrough on the Stowaway to be a major flaw.

Good luck in your hunt

Florida
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to ask your height? With the S25 and being 5ft6 (165cm), I want to avoid look like I have a house on my back if that makes sense?
    I’m 5’3” and, well, not slender I don’t feel that it’s too large. There’s a good video on the S25 page showing people of varying heights and sizes wearing both packs. I found it helpful in making my decision to try the S25.
    Small Cafe Bag in Deep Blue/Grass - Medium Cafe Bag in Alphaviolet/Cloud - Pop Tote in Olive - S19 in Deep Blue/Iberian; Side Kicks in Aubergine/Island Halcyon, Verde/Ultraviolet, and Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - Side Effect in Nordic Halcyon/Northwest Sky Halcyon - S25 in Black Halcyon/Island Halcyon - S25 in Aubergine/Island Halcyon

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. Where???

And when???
    I just tried to find the post in question and I can't, but from what I remember, there was a thread about the gap in business travel bags, between the Pilot and the WF. Darcy said that it was sometimes tough to read these chats knowing what's in the pipeline and not being able to say what it is. She then said that there was some sort of 18-21L bag coming that would sit squarely in the middle of the Pilot/WF gap. But we don't know when.

Please, people with better memories and/or search skills correct me if I have misremembered!

California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I just tried to find the post in question and I can't, but from what I remember, there was a thread about the gap in business travel bags, between the Pilot and the WF. Darcy said that it was sometimes tough to read these chats knowing what's in the pipeline and not being able to say what it is. She then said that there was some sort of 18-21L bag coming that would sit squarely in the middle of the Pilot/WF gap. But we don't know when.

Please, people with better memories and/or search skills correct me if I have misremembered!
    Was it the SSB discussion?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a Pilot - I just tried packing a pair of shorts, tshirt, tennis shoes (size 7.5) a thin towel (thick bath towel did not work), water bottle, small baggy with soap and deodorant, and an empy tupperware thingy for possible lunch(just the size), and my Ipad 10.5 with a thick case on it (my macbook air 13 inch also fit). The shoes and the towel and possibly the lunch (depending upon what and how you carry it) were the sticking points. I tried putting shoes in the bottom of the main pouch - did not work well - no room for other stuff. So I put the shoes in the two outer zip pockets, I put the clothes, tupperware etc in the main area, and a water bottle in the middle - that worked - it was a little tight. I tried putting towel and clothes into a compression packing sack and that worked well and made it neater, but did not free up as much room as I would have thought although a smaller packing sack than I have might have squished it down more. It all would have fit into my S19. If I wore bigger shoes I would use my S25. I believe either backpack would give more room for lunch and a fluffier towel

Feeling lost in choice!-packing-2-jpg
    Feeling lost in choice!-itemsjpg-2-jpgFeeling lost in choice!-packinghorizontal-2-jpgFeeling lost in choice!-clothes-2-jpgFeeling lost in choice!-closedup-2-jpg
    Last edited by spcanf; 03-16-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for that awesome post, really appreciate it! I really want the Pilot to work but a Synapse does make much more sense particularly with weekends away, or even domestic or international travel. A Pilot or something in the 20L+ range would be pretty awesome!

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spcanf View Post
    Feeling lost in choice!-itemsjpg-2-jpg
    Nice Stan Smiths!
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I THINK this is the thread I was referring to.

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ointing-2.html
    Last edited by Traveltech; 03-16-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The camp towels, like REI sells, are actually really very effective at drying oneself off, and much more compact than conventional towels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast