Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In-Flight Organization?

I love my Brain Bag, but I also like to put it in the overhead so that I have leg room on airplane flights. I'd like a bag that I can quickly pull out of the BB when I get to my seat and just grab when I de-plane rather than having a bunch of loose items to gather and stow after I get the BB back down. So I'm looking for suggestions that would both fit inside a big pocket of the BB and hold:
    - Bose QC15 headphones (~8.25"x7.5"x2.25")
    - Kindle 8 (8.6"x5.5"x1")
    - Magazines/Papers (8.5"x11"x?)
    - One or two pens/pencils/highlighters
    - Maybe a novel

In poking around both here in the forums and on the website, I've come up with a number of candidates. These include the Pilot, Cadet, Daylight Briefcase, Daylight Backpack, Packing Cube Backpack, and Medium Cafe Bag. It occurs to me that one of the vertically-oriented options would allow me to access the contents without removing it from the BB. Has anyone used any of these in concert with a BB or have an alternative suggestion?

Alabama
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sidekick? There was a thread here not too long ago with someone traveling with an A45 and sidekick. He would pull out the sk and throw the A45 in the overhead.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Alabama
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the link to the post I mentioned.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...1&share_type=t

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

NJ
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the BB in conjunction with the Medium Cafe bag on several occasions and really like it, specifically for the reason you mention - its vertical orientation.
    Eat well, travel often.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the Medium cafe bag would work well for this. The sidekick wont hold anything larger than a paperback novel. The Daylight Briefcase is awesome but probably overkill since you are using it as a subset of a larger bag system, as would be with the Pilot or Cadet. Packing Cube Backpack is handy but surprisingly large, also probably overkill.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag would hold everything except the magazines/papers. Are they a deal breaker, or would that work for you?

I like using the PCSB as my airplane seat bag, using two of the little double carabiners to hang it from the seat pocket as described in this thread: https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...k-pockets.html

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    - Maybe a novel
    A large OP would hold all your items and would be easy to pull out without adding a lot of bulk.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a BB with a MCB to use with this purpose. I'm going to be taking three transatlantic trips between April and July, and wanted a smaller bag to go with a larger backpack like the BB.

The goal is to put the BB in the overhead compartment and easily slip out what I'll need on the flight in one easy maneuver, and keep the MCB in the area under the seat, while still leaving room for my legs to stretch out.

I did some test packing tonight of the MCB, with a .75L Camelbak water bottle, iPad Pro 10.5", and Cabeau neck pillow as the largest items in the MCB, and it looks like it'll work perfectly for me. I also snapped the Cabeau pillow to a looped key strap that was double-clipped to an internal o-ring. That will leave room in the MCB for carry-on snacks,

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the BB and Large Cafe Bag, on flights, in that same manner, for many years.

However, the Large Cafe Bag had too much height to stand up under the seat and I didn't like to see my beautiful bag getting dirty laying under the seat.

But you could move the MCB strap to get it shorter and secure the bag over the tray to keep it vertical and parallel to the seat pocket.

Alternatively, you might be able to extend the width of the various Packing Cube Backpacks grab handle by clipping a Long Strap unto it, I don't know if it will be wide enough to fit over the airline seat tray, an easy remedy is to order the Simple Strap, it is handy for many things.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-17-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlogged
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    - Maybe a novel
    A large OP would hold all your items and would be easy to pull out without adding a lot of bulk.
    Interesting. I was planning to add a large OP to my next order anyway, but I hadn't considered just using it to place everything in for a flight. I suspect it might be a tight fit with the headphones case but if I'm planning on ordering one anyway, maybe I should try that first.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Co-Pilot may be the best carryon I've ever used. It goes under the seat easily. I cram it...Bose noise cancelling headphones, Macbook 12, iPad, medications, inflatable back pillow, maybe one magazine, a notebook, sunglasses, keys, tickets, passport, a snack (usually a ziplock with some nuts or trail mix), and so forth. Everything I don't want to lose is in it, plus anything I want to access while in flight. Then I'll usually have a smallish roll-on which goes in the overhead. Done! After I deplane, there's nothing on my back or shoulder. The Co-Pilot gets stacked on top of the roll-on, and I'm on my way.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    My Co-Pilot may be the best carryon I've ever used. It goes under the seat easily. I cram it...Bose noise cancelling headphones, Macbook 12, iPad, medications, inflatable back pillow, maybe one magazine, a notebook, sunglasses, keys, tickets, passport, a snack (usually a ziplock with some nuts or trail mix), and so forth. Everything I don't want to lose is in it, plus anything I want to access while in flight. Then I'll usually have a smallish roll-on which goes in the overhead. Done! After I deplane, there's nothing on my back or shoulder. The Co-Pilot gets stacked on top of the roll-on, and I'm on my way.
    This is exactly what I plan to do for two upcoming international flights. I bought a copilot on my last trip for this purpose (as well as other uses).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a bag get dirty under an airplane seat. Plus the ballistic fabric is slick and doesn't collect dirt.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The large org pouch and co-pilot are good ideas. If papers and magazines are important a packing cube backpack would also work.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tebnewyork View Post
    The large org pouch and co-pilot are good ideas. If papers and magazines are important a packing cube backpack would also work.
    Teb: you touch on the dimensional drawback with the Co-Pilot. it is a tight fit for letter size files. If I were carrying those files regularly, I might want something a bit larger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast