Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Washing a Tom Bihn Cafe Bag

Wondering if anyone had any tips on washing a Tom Bihn Cafe bag. Would soap and water be sufficient? It's the ballistic nylon version.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you see this already? https://www.tombihn.com/pages/contact-us/#faq25

How do I clean my bag?
    We recommend hand-washing your TOM BIHN bag with a mild detergent — environmentally friendly dish soaps work well, but as always, with any soap, test it on a small, inconspicuous area of the bag before you use it on the entire bag. (Palmolive® and Dawn® soaps may be too harsh!) Fill your sink or bathtub with warm water, add a little soap (a little goes a long way), and let the bag soak for a half hour. If there are visible spots of dirt, gently rub the area with a washcloth, or you can apply a little soap directly to that spot and let it soak. Rinse your bag thoroughly (this is a lot easier if you've only used a little bit of soap) and lay your bag flat on top of a bath towel to dry.

Methods we DON'T recommend:
    Having your bag dry-cleaned or putting your bag in a washing machine or dryer will void the guarantee and make your bag look funny. We don't want either of those things to happen. Your TOM BIHN bag can last for years. The fabrics we use to make our bags are treated with a water-resistant coating, but over time, that coating will start to dissipate. If you live in a rainy climate like we do, we'd recommend treating your bag with Nikwax after one year of use.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can attest that the method described below, works. I cleaned a 12 years old Large Cafe Bag after 10 years of heavy daily use, travel and a couple of moves. It looked new until its 11th birthday, then it looked like it needed some sprucing up, I followed the Crew's instructions and it looks brand new.

Mild dish soap (the one used to handwash dishes), the brand I use is Seventh Generation Free and Clear it can be found at CVS, in the U.S

From the Frequently Asked Questions area of the website, written by the Crew.

How do I clean my bag?

We recommend hand-washing your TOM BIHN bag with a mild detergent — environmentally friendly dish soaps work well, but as always, with any soap, test it on a small, inconspicuous area of the bag before you use it on the entire bag. (Palmolive® and Dawn® soaps may be too harsh!) Fill your sink or bathtub with warm water, add a little soap (a little goes a long way), and let the bag soak for a half hour. If there are visible spots of dirt, gently rub the area with a washcloth, or you can apply a little soap directly to that spot and let it soak. Rinse your bag thoroughly (this is a lot easier if you've only used a little bit of soap) and lay your bag flat on top of a bath towel to dry.

Methods we DON'T recommend:
    Having your bag dry-cleaned or putting your bag in a washing machine or dryer will void the guarantee and make your bag look funny. We don't want either of those things to happen. Your TOM BIHN bag can last for years. The fabrics we use to make our bags are treated with a water-resistant coating, but over time, that coating will start to dissipate. If you live in a rainy climate like we do, we'd recommend treating your bag with Nikwax after one year of use.

Forum Member
    Pacific Northwest
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your bag is definitely yours for life, you feel like you've gotten your money's worth, and it's dirty....

I have put them in my front load washer on hand wash cycle with no spin with a mild detergent. I take it out, wipe off the excess water with a clean towel, and hang to dry. It works for me, and from what I can tell, doesn't make the bags look funny or too worse for wear. I've done this with shop bags, a Synapse 19, and a Little Swift.

The bags were quite dirty and a bath just wasn't doing it, especially on oil stains. It was either this, or stop using the bags. I understand the warranty was waived, but really, they look fine.

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Combining what everyone has said... start with handwashing with mild soap. If that doesn't work, and you don't want the bag if it isn't clean, move on to the washer. If you normally use a laundromat, see if you have a friend with a handwash cycle that you could borrow. IME laundromat washers aren't gentle enough for something like this. Wash on tap cold, handwash cycle, with a little mild detergent, no spin cycle, drip dry. I've done this in my washer with good results.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 03-25-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, I throw all my bags and backpacks in my front load washer in separate laundry bags (Muji sells a very large one that works perfect). I also throw in regular laundry too to act as a cushion (think towels, t shirts, socks) to minimize rattling the buckles and other hardware. But not too much other stuff to avoid over stuffing the machine. I also avoid putting things with Velcro in the wash and anything with strings (e.g. drawstrings) because it’ll get caught in stuff, even if contained in laundry bags it’s a risk it will unzipper accidentally.

Cold water, lowest spin cycle setting, gentle wash setting (like for wool or silk), short cycle, gentle laundry detergent (I usually put half the amount). Hang or lay flat to air dry in a spot with good air circulation and some sun if possible.

Results work well for me. The biggest concern based on my experience is damaging buckles, zippers, and general hardware. I’ve rarely wrecked the actual bag material itself, with the exception of leather trims and detailing, but that’s on me.

Forum Member
    Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the tips..... greatly appreciated.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Thanks everyone for the tips..... greatly appreciated.
    If you do use a laundry washer, be aware that your bag may now no longer be water proof as the machine washing removes the waterproofing. You may need to do a new layer of nikwax.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB