Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestions for alternate to Passport Pouch

Hi, I've been looking to order an RFID Passport Pouch for a while, but with the redesign, they have been stuck at "in-production" for a long time. The description said they expected to have it ready for ordering by the end of Feb 2018 so I figured I'd had plenty of time before my trip to get one but now my trip is less than three weeks away and when I connected them they gave me an estimate of 6-8 weeks from today before they will be available.

I wanted the Tom Bihn one because I trust the quality. Since I'll be carrying passports for four people, I wanted to make sure I'm carrying them in something that won't fail. There are plenty of options on Aamazon, but I don't like the look of the quality of the straps.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a high-quality non-Tom Bihn (I know, sorry) passport holder that goes around the neck and can hold four passports?

Thanks!

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes; I actually use a small organizer pouch; the passport fits in it perfectly. I then clip it to a lanyard that I wear around my neck. I can wear it over my clothes when I'm at the airport and I need to access it, or wear it under my shirt so it's not visible.

It also has the advantage of being able to clip to a TB key strap so you could slip one end to the pouch and the other to a belt loop and wear it, concealed, under your slacks.

Keep in mind it's not RFID-protected. For that, I just put it in an RFID blocking sleeve, which takes up almost no space. You can find those on Amazon.

Forum Member
    MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An organizer pouch is a possibility. I'd probably have to use a medium since I'd be carrying 4. Let me dig through my pouches to see how that would work.

Thanks for the idea!

If anyone else has any other recommendations, I'm still open to suggestions.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry four Canadian passports in a small Halcyon OP. It works rather well. I too am waiting for the new design to come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the TBPassport Pouch to be too bulky to wear under my clothes. I either put my passport in whatever crossbody bag or pants pocket has good zips (if I need to access the passport) or in a money belt that's truly hidden and flat against my back or waist under my clothes (when I don't need my passport but want it on me).

Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sent my daughter off with her passport in an RFID sleeve from Amazon tucked inside her beloved Dawn Travel Cubelet... she also has a small double organizer pouch that she can put it in along with other ID and her phone or whatever else she deems necessary.
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color EEK! 好的朋友

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, a U.S. Passport doesn't transmit anything when it's closed because the cover has metal fibers designed to block the signal from the RFID chip. Someone can try to "skim" the card when the passport is opened, but that's not something that a passport sleeve would help with either.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    BTW, a U.S. Passport doesn't transmit anything when it's closed because the cover has metal fibers designed to block the signal from the RFID chip. Someone can try to "skim" the card when the passport is opened, but that's not something that a passport sleeve would help with either.
    Interesting! Thatís good to know and makes good sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the whole RFID blocking thing is worth researching. IMO, it's not worth the extra cost. I don't even have any cards that have RFID chips and my passport is already protected.

I use a small pouch for mine, it works great!

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @cromulent!

Sorry, this isn't a non-TOM BIHN option...but how about the Side Effect? It isn't worn around-the-neck. I wear mine as a waist pack, which keeps the passport close to me, and also is not in the way of my main travel bag (whether that main travel bag is worn as a backpack or on as a shoulder bag).

The Side Effect will easily accommodate 4 passports, and leave space for other items you want to have quickly accessible. I keep mine, again as a waist pack, when I am on the plane (asleep or awake).

I tend to sleep a good portion of the time on my belly rather than on my back if I am flying business class (haven't flown business in a while), so the Side Effect would have to be taken off in that situation.
    -m

Forum Member
    MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting, I was hoping the Passport Pouch would be something I could fill and put inside my shirt and forget about it while we toured. Didn't realize it was bulky.

Forum Member
    MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an original Side Effect and, although it would work, I was hoping to put them in something that I could hide behind my clothing as we toured. I also will already have a backpack so I didn't want to add another external bag.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Side Effect but I don't think it will work for me this time. Frown

TB Crew (we work here) MatthewR's Avatar
    Seattle, WA
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey y'all, thanks for all the discussion that went on in this thread -- we've reworked the size of the RFID Passport Pouch and are introducing a non-RFID-blocking version as well as a result of some of the discussion in here regarding the how passports work nowadays and through our own research into the subject. We expect the non-RFID version to be ready by the end of next week and the RFID version to be ready in the coming few weeks.

You can read about it all here, and thanks again for everyone's input on this!

Forum Member
    MA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewR View Post
    Hey y'all, thanks for all the discussion that went on in this thread -- we've reworked the size of the RFID Passport Pouch and are introducing a non-RFID-blocking version as well as a result of some of the discussion in here regarding the how passports work nowadays and through our own research into the subject. We expect the non-RFID version to be ready by the end of next week and the RFID version to be ready in the coming few weeks.

You can read about it all here, and thanks again for everyone's input on this!
    I'll just miss these - I'll be leaving before they're ready, but it's really great that these forums are not just a place for Bihn fans to congregate, but you guys pay attention to what is being discussed. Awesome work.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím curious about the need for RFID. Iím not sure Iíve ever heard of anyone being a victim of this, either personally or online.

It seems like one of these things driven by fear rather than an actual realistic danger.

Although I do travel a lot and will likely find myself a victim one day and learn my lesson. But until then Iím just not sure how much of an issue this actually is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast