Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Austin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 25 - no better bag/color other than black

I travel a lot and use my Synapse 25 as my only bag and there is simply no better travel bag, not if you want a day bag as well. I have spent hundreds and hundreds, maybe close to a thousand on bags the past eight years and only the Synapse 25 fulfills both my travel needs and day bag needs. There are roomier bags, there are sleeker looking bags, but none of them are great day bags. The S25 truly is the master.

However....I hate black luggage. It's what everyone has and I like brighter colors. Being a Texas fan, I got the burnt orange. I'm hard on my bag. When I'm in town I throw it in the bed of my truck. I set it down everywhere. It goes in the rain.

As a result...it is dirty. I've washed according to the instructions and all it does is get it wet. Who knows what chemicals are in the water and in the truck bed. Nothing I do cleans it, it looks dirty. I see now the wisdom in ordering black. As loathsome as it would be to have a black bag and not my burnt orange...I wouldn't look like a bum if I had black. It might be time to retire mine and get black.

But this bag....it truly is king.

Forum Member
    Austin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add what prompted this post. The new frame for the Synapse. No framing on the back was the one thing that was keeping the bag from being perfect. It was lumpy and uncomfortable. But I ordered a frame as soon as they were released and it took the bag from a 9 to a 10.

If you're thinking of getting one of the Synapses, the frame is a must.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InAustin View Post
    I travel a lot and use my Synapse 25 as my only bag and there is simply no better travel bag, not if you want a day bag as well. I have spent hundreds and hundreds, maybe close to a thousand on bags the past eight years and only the Synapse 25 fulfills both my travel needs and day bag needs. There are roomier bags, there are sleeker looking bags, but none of them are great day bags. The S25 truly is the master.

However....I hate black luggage. It's what everyone has and I like brighter colors. Being a Texas fan, I got the burnt orange. I'm hard on my bag. When I'm in town I throw it in the bed of my truck. I set it down everywhere. It goes in the rain.

As a result...it is dirty. I've washed according to the instructions and all it does is get it wet. Who knows what chemicals are in the water and in the truck bed. Nothing I do cleans it, it looks dirty. I see now the wisdom in ordering black. As loathsome as it would be to have a black bag and not my burnt orange...I wouldn't look like a bum if I had black. It might be time to retire mine and get black.

But this bag....it truly is king.
    I've been pondering whether or not to get the s25. I have the s19 and truly love it. It is dark blue ballistic, and IMO it's pretty resilient on dirt. I'm not very nice to it as well Synapse 25 - no better bag/color other than black. Washed it once, and it's back to like new color.

Nina

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey InAustin: get another one in burnt orange and keep on truckin'. I also hate black luggage. Since I'm retired, I no longer give a hoot about what's "appropriate" for the office!

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    Hey InAustin: get another one in burnt orange and keep on truckin'. I also hate black luggage. Since I'm retired, I no longer give a hoot about what's "appropriate" for the office!
    Totally with you on this GoNavy, and InAustin have you looked at Mars Red? It's gorgeous Synapse 25 - no better bag/color other than black

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Austin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mars red is too close to Sooner red Smilie

Forum Member
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to home Depot or Amazon and buy TSP, trisodium phosphate and mix it for heavy duty cleaning, 1 cup TSP to 1 gallon of water, it should clean your bag up nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
    Go to home Depot or Amazon and buy TSP, trisodium phosphate and mix it for heavy duty cleaning, 1 cup TSP to 1 gallon of water, it should clean your bag up nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Just about any paint store or paint department will have it; common cleaner used by painters to prep a soiled, previously painted surface.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    Just about any paint store or paint department will have it; common cleaner used by painters to prep a soiled, previously painted surface.
    Cleans oil off your concrete driveway real well too.

It's also an ingredient in children's breakfast cereals, especially ones that have those crunchy dry marshmallows.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dirt on luggage is a funny thing. Normally I want a bag to look a little worn pretty quickly - I had a Hadley camera bag that refused to look beat up, but beat up is what a camera bag should look like both for cred and theft resistance. Still looks new.

But I also have several Red Oxx bags in saffron yellow (once had a guy grab my black bag at a carousel, who absolutely would not believe it wasn't his. Decided no more black after that) that have gotten dirty, aren't easy to clean and look awful.

The new Synapse in mars red I just received? Well, I'll try to keep it clean - not checking it will help - but then I'll try the TSP trick if the dirt starts to bother me. No bag lasts forever. Although the only thing harder than justifying a new one is throwing out an old one 8-)

Steve