Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Synapse included waiststraps? Fits on SE? last-minute quest

Hi all!

I'm about to order my first Tom Bihn bags but i get several lastminute questions,hesitations. So I hope you can help me out!

Does the Synapse 25 comes with waiststraps? And do those waiststraps fit on the side-effect?
    I want to order them both but i don't want to pay an extra 10 dollars if these are the exact same size of waiststraps.

And are there any extra's included with the Synapse 25 ?

And with the Side Effect there is an little small shoulderstrap included right? So no need to order those extra.

If I read the forum about the backpanel that there are diffrent opinions about them. Now I do hesitate to order.
    How is the Synapse during hot and humid weater? I don't hike but want to stroll arround during citytrips without a sweaty back. And is the backframe helping against this or not?

And last thing, eagle creek packingcubes, do they fit nice inside the synapse? i got several medium cubes, one large. Do you use them with the synapse? I was wondering how large the main pocket can be, will it fit two medium or one large with some other stuff in the main compartment.

Thank you for reading all my doubts. I hope you can give me some advise, thanks in advance

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Synapse 25 comes with a standard waist strap. It fits on the Side Effect (and Side Kick, and Packing Cube Shoulder bag). The Side Effect comes with a key strap and zipper pulls. I use the standard waist strap to make the above bags into fanny packs all the time.

USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    And last thing, eagle creek packingcubes, do they fit nice inside the synapse? … I was wondering how large the main pocket can be, will it fit two medium or one large with some other stuff in the main compartment.
    The Synapse 19 would fit two medium EC cubes or one large EC cube (and not much else), so the Synapse 25 should hold those and more.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Flex!

Welcome to the forum! Smilie

Hi all!

I'm about to order my first Tom Bihn bags but i get several lastminute questions,hesitations. So I hope you can help me out!

Does the Synapse 25 comes with waiststraps? And do those waiststraps fit on the side-effect?
    Yes, a removable 1" / 25 mm waist strap is included with the Synapse 25, and this waist strap will fit the Side Effect.

I want to order them both but i don't want to pay an extra 10 dollars if these are the exact same size of waiststraps.

And are there any extra's included with the Synapse 25 ?
    I wouldn't call them extras; rather, I'd say they are part of the ensemble. Smilie

In addition to the waist strap mentioned above, I believe that the Synapse 25 comes with 3/4" / 20 mm removable sternum strap and cord zipper pulls.

And with the Side Effect there is an little small shoulderstrap included right? So no need to order those extra.
    Yes, the Side Effect includes a 5/8" nylon webbing shoulder strap with plastic snaphooks.

If I read the forum about the backpanel that there are diffrent opinions about them. Now I do hesitate to order.
    How is the Synapse during hot and humid weater? I don't hike but want to stroll arround during citytrips without a sweaty back. And is the backframe helping against this or not?
    My personal experience with the Dri-Lex Aero-Spacer mesh back, which you will find on the back of the Synapse 25 and other TOM BIHN backpacks, is that it helps to keep me cool. I have used a Synapse 19 for day hikes, and I sweat a lot. So my sweat will get it wet, but not in an exceptional way.

And last thing, eagle creek packingcubes, do they fit nice inside the synapse? i got several medium cubes, one large. Do you use them with the synapse? I was wondering how large the main pocket can be, will it fit two medium or one large with some other stuff in the main compartment.

Thank you for reading all my doubts. I hope you can give me some advise, thanks in advance
    I don't have experience with Eagle Creek packing cubes. Could you share the dimensions?

The Synapse 25 can accommodate, for example, a packing cube as large as the Tri-Star Medium Packing Cube (12.8" x 11.3" x 2.4" / 325mm x 290mm x 60mm).

Good luck, and please don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all so much for awnsering!
    I am thrilled to read that S25 comes with sternurm strap and zippper pulles aswell! And the side effect has a keystrap, that is so great! going to adjust my shopping basket now so one les keystrap.
    I was reading all the information underneath the bags, but because of all the diffrent options and possibilities with TB I just couldn't figure out what is included and what is not.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both the Side Effect and the S25 should come with a keystrap and zipper pulls if I remember correctly!

Another thing you might consider is a 1" gatekeeper clip (It comes in a pair, so you just need to order 1). I use this on my S25 and A45 to connect the side effect to the bag where the waist strap attaches, followed by the waist strap attaching to the Side Effect. This gives you a little pouch on your waist when wearing the S25 (or other bag). There's a post somewhere on the forums explaining it better than I could, but I couldn't find it quickly. I bet @moriond will be here soon with a helpful link! :-D
    DLBC (black Dyneema) **Missing **, Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you once again for the kind responses. I really wanted to come back to you with my first impressions of the things that I orderd. I looked at them oline and in revieuws for so long, to have it finaly in your hands there were several things that i imagined diffrent.

First thought, wow the products of Tom Bihn are though, structured disign. It is obvius well made, but larger and more masculine then i imagined. As with most things from the United States it is larger than in Europe Smilie
    For example the zipper from the main pocket in the Synapse 25 is really large! Big teeth, big zipper pulls, just bigger than the average EU zipper. The fabric, black halycon is a bit stiff but works out well. I feel a bit dissapointed that the bright blue halycon inside was not available when i orderd, the grey inside is okay but not so happy as the blue I guess.
    I am happy with the frame sheet i included, gives it way more structure, but i need it to curve it more, so it doesnt hurt my back during biking.
    The Synapse 25 came with one black short keystrap. I really do like the water bottle pocket, holds my large glass teacup perfectly, and in the side pockets i can place a small waterbottle aswell. The bottempocket it one of my favourite features, can hold five pairs of Toms shoes, flipflops. In EDC life i use it for laptop charger, headphonecase, spare cotton shoppingbag.

codura Small Pouch and double small Pouch: ones again these pouches are way larger then i thought! I was a bit dissapointed that i got the codura one in grey, it somehow dissapears now in my Synapse, brighter collour would be better i guess. But the double pouch i like. I put a small mirror in the clear front, and my mascara and girls stuff in the back, very practical.

Second Aid Bag: love this thing, the bright blue colour is great. but i didn't use it yet, no upcoming trips unfortunately. In the pictures on the side there are two slightly details for the diffrent blue bags, one has a white cross with blue surroundings, other is blue cross with white surrounding. The one i got was white cross with blue surrounding. Perfectly embroided on the bags.

Small pouchking for the first aid bag looks really cute but can't hold almost nothing. The zipper is to short for the pouch. I was hoping that i could use it as a blisters pouch, or baggie for sevral diffrent kind of tea bags, but i can only fit barely 2 of those in there. Better to use for some small earrings, jewels or simcards, something really small and delicate, but for 8 dollars bit to pricey for my use.

Cubelet: this baggie is perfect! The dawn colour is more grey then i expected. So overall i had a lot of greyish and black colours in my order.

Side Effect: I imagined this bag smaller and slimmer. The though fabric, the two zippers and the pocket, it is more masculine then I thought. My hopes where more of a delicate pouch, small and slim but roomie. I feel instand 10 years older if I wear it as a hippouch, like my mom who goes hiking on holliday. I prefer the small shouldercord instead. But the reason that I bought this one is because of the versitall hip feature, but i feel to small or the pouch is to large to use it that way. Maybe i need to gain more weight to balance it better haha! In my hollidaytrips i will try it out and wear it with the hipbelt, to have your hands free and no cord arround your neck,shoulder would be great.

Thanks to the suggestion of Nealopp I orderd a spare garekeepersclip aswel. I tested out the trick but it was a bit of a thight squeeze. But I will deffinately use it during my trips!

If I read my review back it all sounds a bit dissapointing, I needed to adapt my thoughts of the Tom Bihn products I guess. But overall I am really happy with my order and escpacially the Synapse. The staff who helped me with my order, and when there were some small problems with my credidcard they fixed it great and even upgraded the shippingtime so the package would recieve in time! Big thank you for that!

Greetings, Rineke
    I had some trouble typing in English, I apologize for the possible incorrect English. My speaking is definately better than writing Smilie