Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scratch resistance of 525 ballistic seems weak

Iím curious what experience others have had regarding the scratch resistance of 525 ballistic. During an overseas trip, I left my Synapse 25 backpack with a hotel porter to store for a few hours, along with my other bags. They must have stuffed the backpack in with other bags in the luggage room, because when I picked it up, it had what looked like a 3 inch surface scratch along the outside, probably from another bag rubbing against it. Itís not something that in any way hurts the integrity of the pack, as itís just along the surface, but itís presence surprised me. My experience with ballistic is mainly with Tumi luggage. I have a big Tumi duffle roller that has been thrown around by airline baggage handlers (I normally weigh it down to the max 50lb limit) over more than a dozen trips. That Tumi has zero scratches in the ballistic but a huge number on all the plastic bits, which supports my view that it's been abused. I also have a 15 year old Tumi briefcase and carry-on roller. Both have essentially zero scratches and both have traveled quite a bit.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NClens View Post
    Iím curious what experience others have had regarding the scratch resistance of 525 ballistic. During an overseas trip, I left my Synapse 25 backpack with a hotel porter to store for a few hours, along with my other bags. They must have stuffed the backpack in with other bags in the luggage room, because when I picked it up, it had what looked like a 3 inch surface scratch along the outside, probably from another bag rubbing against it. Itís not something that in any way hurts the integrity of the pack, as itís just along the surface, but itís presence surprised me. My experience with ballistic is mainly with Tumi luggage. I have a big Tumi duffle roller that has been thrown around by airline baggage handlers (I normally weigh it down to the max 50lb limit) over more than a dozen trips. That Tumi has zero scratches in the ballistic but a huge number on all the plastic bits, which supports my view that it's been abused. I also have a 15 year old Tumi briefcase and carry-on roller. Both have essentially zero scratches and both have traveled quite a bit.
    I have no experience of scratches on 525 Ballistic but wanted to echo your comments that itís hard to scratch the 1050d. Iíve only done it once which left a noticeable scratch and it was quite a force required when it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to hear other experiences, too. About to order a DLBP in 525 ballistic for my 7 year old, and I had hoped that it is a pretty tough material.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using an s19 525 ballistic in black/canyon for several months with no issues. Don't know if I'm as rough as a baggage handler, but it suits my everday lifestyle.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mars/canyon 525 ballistic Side Effect is scratchless after months of continuous use. I use it as my wallet and transfer it in an out of the side pocket of my Smart Alec. The zipper hasn't scuffed it yet.
    I just tried to scratch my Pop Tote and two Cubelets with my fingernail and couldn't leave a mark either. Your bag must've been against something sharp. I'm sorry that happened!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I have time later this week, I'll try to take a picture if anyone is interested. The scratch is a somewhat jagged very thin line, not a scuff, where the ballistic looks a little fluffed up. There is no way something as soft as a finger nail could do this. I presume the porter put my pack against something with a hard corner or maybe a shelf's bolt. As they loaded the luggage room with more things, the bag may have moved, causing the scratch down the center of my synapse backpack. It's certainly not bad enough to make me worried it will tear over time, it's cosmetic and isn't really noticeable unless you take a hard look. As I noted before, I have a different brand of ballistic nylon luggage (this brand seems to use thicker threads) that clearly has been thrown around by careless baggage handlers (and me!) and those bags don't have anything like this despite being old and well traveled. Given the ultra burly nature of the zippers and construction of the pack, I'm a little surprised it happened. Oh well, the first blemish is always the hardest.