Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 30 for a 7 year old? 3 week travel to Japan

My wife and I both bought the Aeronaut 45 for 1 bag travel to Japan this summer. I'm considering purchasing the Aeronaut 30 for my son. He is 7 years old. I'm trying to avoid wheels for him and carrying his pack. He's strong but can be whiny. Smilie Has anyone out there tried this?

The other thing I was thinking about was a 30L kids backpacking pack (Osprey) or repurposing 1 of our Tri-stars for him. He likes the tri-star when empty. I have yet to have him try when loaded.

Other suggestions welcome.

Forum Member
    Pacific Northwest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe @maverick can chime in? I've seen photos of his son carrying a Western Flyer, but he appeared older than 7.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíd stick with a small backpack, say the S19 or a similar size. You could buy a few merino shirts for him instead, for lighter packing. The A30 is *my* bag when we travel, and I donít pack it full. (Iím 4í11.) My son at age 7 barely wanted to carry his S19! I had to move some of his stuff (snacks, entertainment) to my carry-on. - You could put some of his clothes in your bag, of course.

Even now at age 10, the (26L) Smart Alec would be the most Iíd give him to carry for travel, and not fully-packed either.

He can, however, manage a rollaboard just fine. So if youíre wanting to avoid checking anything, that could be another option.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think an Aeronaut 30 would be too much. When it's fully loaded (but not absolutely jam-packed), I find it weighs just under 7kg which is too heavy for a 7 year old. You'd probably end up not using the end pockets. A S19 sounds more practical and then he can use it for school as he gets older.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red and Nebulous Grey, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, Viridian and Grass, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an adult, I found the A30 too heavy. It tipped me backwards. It was also heavy worn with the Absolute Shoulder strap. I cannot imagine a 7 year old carrying an A30.

I also found the TS to be even heavier than the A30, and the TS also tipped me over backwards.

I can carry the A45 in backpack mode because it spreads the weight closer to my body. I underpack it.

I think your son should not have his own suitcase, but just a small day backpack. Something that he could also use for school.

Forum Member
    Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m definitely on board with kids being able to carry their own gear. My daughter uses a 24L Deuter pack for school every day and honestly I can’t imagine her carrying anything larger (she’s about to turn 9 in June and average size and strength). For size comparison it’s the Deuter Walker 24: https://www.deuter.com/DE/en/daypack...-red-grey.html

The bigger challenge is, I think, getting our kids to understand they can only bring what they can tolerate carrying and that if they can’t carry it they don’t need it for the trip. There is nothing like having over-stressed, load-bearing parents trying to manage a kid who has no cares in the world because they can run through the airport unburdened. I try to balance building the sense of responsibility with carrying realistic loads.

Southern California
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the S19. You can get a LOT of stuff in there. As an adult with back issues the A30 is my max carryon limit, I wouldnít do that to a 7yo.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Kids clothes are small. You can get a lot in an S19 and its probably a better shape than a 7yr old putting a big rectangle on their back.

Forum Member
    SF Bay Area
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahJaneMakes View Post
    I’m definitely on board with kids being able to carry their own gear. My daughter uses a 24L Deuter pack for school every day and honestly I can’t imagine her carrying anything larger (she’s about to turn 9 in June and average size and strength). For size comparison it’s the Deuter Walker 24: https://www.deuter.com/DE/en/daypack...-red-grey.html

The bigger challenge is, I think, getting our kids to understand they can only bring what they can tolerate carrying and that if they can’t carry it they don’t need it for the trip. There is nothing like having over-stressed, load-bearing parents trying to manage a kid who has no cares in the world because they can run through the airport unburdened. I try to balance building the sense of responsibility with carrying realistic loads.
    Words of wisdom, SarahJane!!

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn’t put a heavy pack on a seven year old, unless it has a really good frame and hip belt. Young spines are too pliable. If the Osprey doesn’t have a good system I’d find a roller that has backpack straps.

From one whose brother has severe scoliosis from lifting heavy weights too young...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my boys were age 7, I had them carry the S19 for travel, even the S25 was overwhelming for their height and weight. We made their carry on their responsibility, no extra side bag that they are most likely to forget on the airplane or at the airport after a flight. At that age, our focus when traveling would be on them and maneuvering the airport/flight schedules so we checked in a suitcase for clothes/food (allergies) and what not and our carry-on would be enough for 1-2 days if our luggage was lost. Better to replace a lost suitcase.
    When they started middle school, we switched their school backpacks to an Osprey with a frame and hip belt since they have to carry their chromebooks to and from school.
    HTH

ETA: Just wanted to add DH and boy1 and boy2 went to NY a few years ago with the S19 for each of the boys and S25 for DH. So, kids will get there eventually Smilie Good luck with what works best for you and your family Smilie

I found the picture. The boys were approximately ages 10 and 12 at the time with their S19. 4 nights in NY with my DH carrying their meds and shared toiletries in his S25.

Aeronaut 30 for a 7 year old? 3 week travel to Japan-image-jpeg
    Last edited by RDR3; 04-10-2018 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Parental support because ALL parents need that. EVERY day :)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @ekraay,
    I agree with the suggestions above that you think about the Synapse 19 instead of the Aeronaut 30. Take a look at the (many!) pictures posted by @Toblerhaus in, for example, her Packing for 12 days in Ireland with kids thread:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...land-kids.html

I've pointed you to that 2015 thread because it gives an idea of what was packed. She's had lots of pictures of her kids wearing the backpacks during travel through the years. In fact, her very first posts in 2012, were about International travel bags with kids, so I'm showing you the combination that she adopted and stuck to after a few years' experience.
    https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...bags-kids.html

HTH

moriond
    ETA: I think this is one of her pictures from 2015:Aeronaut 30 for a 7 year old? 3 week travel to Japan-image-jpg
    I saved it to do an estimate of their heights for a later forum post query that year
    Last edited by moriond; 04-10-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

I just asked my son, and of course got a smart alec response.

I believe that the first time he carried the Smart Alec was when he was 10.

He says that the bag had plenty of room and that it was comfortable to carry. I remember that the bag wasn't packed too full or too heavy.

I also remember that I carried more than one bag for at least part of the time.

Whether you go with the Aeronaut 30, the Western Flyer or the Tri-Star, I believe it will be a bag that your son will enjoy now as well as one he will grow into (packing more fully) as he gets older.

I like the idea of instilling from an early age the idea that we carry our own load.
    -m

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think an Aeronaut 30 would just be gigantic for a 7 year old. If I were using one at that age, I'd have a ton of extra space and I'd end up weighing down the bag with a bunch of toys and other unnecessary things.

Southern California
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also wanted to mention their clothes are super little at that age. Iíve flown for a week packing only a DLBP and a PCSB as a purse/ipad holder. As a plus size adult with a separate outfit for each day. An S19 is totally doable for a 7yo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast